Tundra Helton Hot Shower Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dan C

Bonafide Jolly Turkaconis Freak
Threads
This is a Mod I never got around to with my 80. Thanks to Bryce over @cruiseroutfitters for getting me squared away. This is a shot of the initial install. Kit comes with basic brackets for installation however, you will want to purchase some self tapping screws, washers, as well as 3/8'' and 5/8'' insulated hose clamps to tidy up your hose runs depending on your setup.

Toyota maximized the space under the hood with the Tundra and finding a home for additional goodies isn't easy. Based on the location of the heater hoses and lack of suitable firewall/cowl space, this is the best location to mount the heat exchanger:meh:.

Next step is to tap the heater hoses with the supplied T junctions and leak test the system. More to come........:beer:

IMG_2237.JPG

cool setup! So I'm unfamiliar with these hot water systems, will you simply be plugging in a portable water source/jerry can of some sort with gravity. Then perhaps a pump on the outlet to get it to it's showering destination? Pretty clean install! and looks simple enough

cool setup! So I'm unfamiliar with these hot water systems, will you simply be plugging in a portable water source/jerry can of some sort with gravity. Then perhaps a pump on the outlet to get it to it's showering destination? Pretty clean install! and looks simple enough

Thanks! Yes the water source can be any jerry can, bucket, cooler etc. The kit comes with an all-in-one pump/shower-head combo. Just connect the shower head to the hot output barb, run another length of braided water line from cold input barb to the pump, and drop it in the water source. Run the vehicle to warm the exchanger, turn on the pump and presto HOT SHOWER:hillbilly:.

Finished the shower kit install over the weekend. Install was easy enough (as long as you don't underestimate the # of hose clamps you need:frusty:). That said its works great, water gets nice and hot very quickly. I would recommend cycling water for several minutes back into a container rather that running directly off of the hot water output. Just to avoid scalding.

To complete the install, you will need to pickup some 3/8'' and 1/2'' hose clamps also some braided water line and bulk heater hose. Hose lengths will vary depending on your setup. After much debate this is what I thought worked best regarding location under the hood. Im sure some of you are far better engineers than I and could come up with something better. Due to the nature of this mod tapping into the heater hoses, I would recommend buying some spare formed heater hoses as replacements. On the off chance you booger it up:meh:.

Heres are a few shots of the finished install.

IMG_2287.jpg

My daughter wanted to help with the measurements.
IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

Very cool! Or hot. Whichever. Give us some feed back on how it performs after you get a chance to use it. I'd like to know how much control you have on adjusting the temperature of the water.

great install!!!
1 question: why use a "T" connector instead of running the heat exchanger in series from the out of the heater core?
i am thinking you would have better control with the heater controls adjusting water temp this way.

I could be wrong as I am not a engineer.

Ive used the helton in an old tacoma i no longer have, and it works really well. simple install really. I dont knnw offhand of any others. I installed this back in like 2007 or 2007, took it off the truck when i wrecked it and may eventually reinstall in my fj55.

edited to say - there are 2 kits one is a hot shower kit, one is a hot water kit. The shower is what I installed. it heats the water up by 40 degrees or so per pass. so if its too cold, just recirculate in a bucket or something till its coming out warm enough.

The hot water heats it up to near engine temp of 180f, i was worried it would be too hot, but some people use it, might do some research on which is better. (I would do the shower kit again no reservations.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom