Tubs - fiberglass, steel or aluminum?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has any one using the aluminum run into all the problems we hear about from the steel and glass lovers? You know, grounding problems, corrosion between the different metals, paint issues. I would love to use the aluminum too, but need more first hand feedback.
For grounding issues I dont think there are any as alluminum conducts much better than steel any way. While I have'nt painted mine yet properly prepared the alluminum takes paint well from the painted ones I've seen. Liberal use of silicone caulk and corrosionX or ACF50 addresses the corrosion issue. I'm more concerned about keeping the frame from dissinegrating out from under the tub
The aqualu tub is much lighter and stronger that the factory tub. Of the six people I know who have gone with the Aqualu tub all of us are unanimous with our praise for the thing. Particularly the new ones as they have been paying attention and the product seems to be getting better. Mine has several improvements over some of the earlier ones.
Two people can knock out a tub replacement over a weekend. :beer:

[quote author=Greg_B link=board=1;threadid=395;start=msg2517#msg2517 date=1051753105]
I've a Gozzard windshield frame for my 42.....[/quote]

Howdy Greg!
I'm currently transfering my hardware from my old winsheild frame to my new Gozzard. I know that he had put aluminum backing plates in alot of the areas where you need it, but i was wondering if they have metal reenforcement where the hood latches hook on for when you lay the windsheild onto the hood. Like to keep this function, but ain't dealing with it if it doesn't have metal in there.

Thanks!
Yo Han

I strongly considered an Aqualu tub but decided the following:

1. I wasn't ready to spend the $2500 US to get the tub to me (+the $$ I'd have to pay a shop to help me install)

2. I didn't want to end up with a truck that looked and felt like a different machine. the Aqualu people told me that the tub doesn't look exaclty like stock, especially inside. It is more angular and does not preserve the original shapes.

So, since it appeared that my cruiser's body has a few mmore years of landworthyness, I went with a couple new panels and some welding work to shave off the rotten edges of things.

to me the only thing that's real, is steel.

if for some reason you dent an aluminum tub, it's not as simply to fix it. you can't just "pop" it out. the alum will stretch.

from what i've heard here the alum tub are only an 1/8th(.0125") of an inch thick.(that equals 11ga. factory steel tubs are 16ga .0625- 18ga.07XX) to me that seems like the alu tubs are not as strong as steel tubs. like wise anything that would "hang" on the tub like doors would egg out the mounting holes over time,yrs but still....

and i've heard stories (reguarding land rovers) about alum tubs being worn through by stuff carried in the rear(once agian over yrs). and while most people on this board can do their own welding, i doubt an equal number can deal with alum. clean alum is a pain, used and "dirty" alum is miserable to try and weld.

Howdy all,

I was in this dilemma bout a year ago when i started a frameup. I can understand the argument for all cases as far as steel, aluminum or fiberglass. If you have the money and time to go steal I would...also if you can set it up not to retain water and rust again. The biggest thing that sketched mi out with the fiberglass tubs was getting into a fender bender or rolling it in the woods.... so I'm getting a full 8 point rollcage that attaches to the frame and the seats and harnesses will also be attached to the frame, via rollcage.

I got a Gozzard tub, after doing my homework and actually picked it up myself from Mike. When I was there Mike showed me his fj40....completely composite. I expressed my concerns and he knows that when put under extreme pressure fiberglass basically shatters. However I believe his tubs are much more rugged than any other composite tub out there.

The crazy thing is, Mike has the exact rollcage I'm getting and he has rolled his fj40 2X's. His rollcage is not attached to the frame and it did NOT punch through the tub in either cases. He has a 8pt cage and the whole cage actually shifted @3" from the rollovers without cracking or punching through the tub. Thought this was pretty impression.

Just a my thought fellas ;)
Yo Han

I chose to re-build my Tub.... lotta work but.... seeing I had the time, equipment and most importantly access to sheet metal tools.

It turning out OK , kinda industrial. I'll send you a photo...

dude why the diamond plate alum,you ruined the whole tub by puttin that stuff on wait till it oxidises with the steel

does anyone know about the floor of an fj60 can you get them anywhere or do you just have to rebuild your own or take it from another 60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom