Trusted Bodyshops in Colorado? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone in the Denver and/or Colorado area have a trusted bodyshop they like to use?

I have a pretty significant rust issue on the passanger side rocker panel/spot that was covered by the running board that I would like to address before it becomes a bigger problem, and potentially the area around the windshield as well. I had my 100 inspected by Robbie Antonson this morning in Boulder and we scheduled a time for a few mechanical repairs, but he suggested I address the aforementioned rust spot as well.

So, any recommendations?!
Thanks friends,
Ben

Nothing?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! (and don't worry, after this I won't keep asking just to bring this back up to the top of the page)

honestly, good inexpensive body guys are hard to find in Denver. I used Stevinson's recommended shop for my wife 4runner and I made them redo their crappy work 2x. they left all kinds of dirt in the paint and clear coat and even forgot to fully attach the part. I had a classic car repainted a few years ago and it was a nightmare to get it done correctly. there are some small shops I'm going to be checking out thurs-fri near I76 & Sheridan. I'll let you know what I find out. I have some rust around my windshield that needs attention to.

honestly, good inexpensive body guys are hard to find in Denver. I used Stevinson's recommended shop for my wife 4runner and I made them redo their crappy work 2x. they left all kinds of dirt in the paint and clear coat and even forgot to fully attach the part. I had a classic car repainted a few years ago and it was a nightmare to get it done correctly. there are some small shops I'm going to be checking out thurs-fri near I76 & Sheridan. I'll let you know what I find out. I have some rust around my windshield that needs attention to.
  • Awesome, let me know what you find. I work very close to that area as well. I came across 'exotic bodies by Jim' on another forum, I might give him/them a look as well. Thanks friend.

His business folded about 6 months ago. Painting a whole car is crazy expensive. An average paint job with no body work at all is $10-15k. Now, that complete removal of trim, painting the jams, 2-3 coats of color and the same of clear coat. Basically, it would be a better finish than what was done t the factory. So, I'm expecting about $1-2k for paining around the windshield area if no metal work is needed and paint both bumpers, door trim, and metal valance under the headlights.

Apex Auto Body and SVE are some of the best around here.
Apex on W. Colfax & SVE in Broomfield correct?
Ali would you mind giving a little more "color"; why do you like these shops?

THX

SVE is pretty well known in the Audi community for very good work. The few jobs I have seen look as good as factory or maybe better on some of the custom work. Over the years I have also never heard a single bad story regarding them. They are also not cheap but the work is top notch.

Apex is a general body shop and is know for classic Porsche restorations. A few friends with rather nice old 911's were the ones who steered me their way. They are a little less polished but when you go back into the workshop and see the millions in old Porsches getting extensive custom work done it gives you a feeling about their skill level. Went there once wanting them to roll the fenders on my Supra, rather than just take the business and do the work he actually talked me out of doing it to preserve the originality/value of the car. Not many shops would turn away business for the better of the car rather than their wallet.

SVE is pretty well known in the Audi community for very good work. The few jobs I have seen look as good as factory or maybe better on some of the custom work. Over the years I have also never heard a single bad story regarding them. They are also not cheap but the work is top notch.

Apex is a general body shop and is know for classic Porsche restorations. A few friends with rather nice old 911's were the ones who steered me their way. They are a little less polished but when you go back into the workshop and see the millions in old Porsches getting extensive custom work done it gives you a feeling about their skill level. Went there once wanting them to roll the fenders on my Supra, rather than just take the business and do the work he actually talked me out of doing it to preserve the originality/value of the car. Not many shops would turn away business for the better of the car rather than their wallet.
Thanks Ali. I didn't see any Porsches in lot or detail area, but I didn't go in back (Apex).They actual tried talking me out of windshield work, I'm being proactive on this one. After seeing how clean my 01LC is, they warned it will not return that way (spotless) and they're not a restoration shop, but do good work. Seem like good people, estimator knew his stuff found something else done poorly (old work) that I want corrected as well.

I'm going to SVE next week, see what they say.

Thanks again Ali!

Thanks Ali. I didn't see any Porsches in lot or detail area, but I didn't go in back (Apex).They actual tried talking me out of windshield work, I'm being proactive on this one. After seeing how clean my 01LC is, they warned it will not return that way (spotless) and they're not a restoration shop, but do good work. Seem like good people, estimator knew his stuff found something else done poorly (old work) that I want corrected as well.

I'm going to SVE next week, see what they say.

Thanks again Ali!
Just wanted to post this for any and all Denver area friends who might search the forum down the road...

I HIGHLY recommend using Premium Auto Glass for windshield replacements, and they have a handful of locations around the metro area (Westminster, Centennial, Littleton, etc). I am still working with them to have another replacement windshield installed, but literally everyPremium Auto Glass employee I have spoken with over the last two weeks was well-aware of the notoriety of our 100 series windshields and their related rust/leak problems. I spoke over the phone with an employee from one location who knew of the issue, the techs and the manager of another location all knew of the issues, and when I called a third location to finally have the work done even the receptionistresponded with, "Oh boy, yup, those are notorious for issues" when I told her I had a 2000 LC.

As I have yet to actually have the work performed, I can't comment on the quality of work, warranty, etc. However; I am beyond comfortable leaving my vehicle with these guys at any one of their shops, not only due to their wealth of UZJ100 specific knowledge, but their top-notch customer service and transparency as well.

Premium Auto Glass - We Install Confidence

I have some light windshield rust on my 100 and am looking for a shop. I have been to a few of these guys and they act like they would be doing me a favor by taking my money. None of them guarantee their rust work even if they cut it out and replace with new sheet metal. $1500-$2000 and no promises.

White-knuckle sliders
K02s
River Rock Green
Denver, CO

I have some light windshield rust on my 100 and am looking for a shop. I have been to a few of these guys and they act like they would be doing me a favor by taking my money. None of them guarantee their rust work even if they cut it out and replace with new sheet metal. $1500-$2000 and no promises.

White-knuckle sliders
K02s
River Rock Green
Denver, CO
I'm in the same boat. In Colorado Springs and have the beginnings of a bubbling paint spot above my windshield and I want a good place that can nip it in the bud.

Todays body shops make their money off of wrecks. Paint booths are usually the bottleneck in each shop. They usually don't like to get out of the most profitable side of fix and repair from insurance. They make money off parts, labor and paint. Rust jobs are generally not plug and play and it takes time and slows down the body shop. In other words if the shop is good and busy they make better money running the entire shop on a steady insurance wreck program than changing to the project to do work that most people are floored about when it comes to price vs time.

Sad part is most shops don’t want to small non insurance jobs like that. I bet all of them will quote you an outrageous rate to make you go away. Good luck in your search

BTW SVE said no to even giving me an estimate. "We don't do Rust work anymore". I have an appt with "The Metal Surgeon" tomorrow.

SVE referred:
  • Precision autobody
  • A Good Shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom