Truck won't start... sometimes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sometimes when I get in my truck and turn the key the truck does nothing. It doesn't click or turn over. I can turn the key back and forth a few times (sometimes 3 sometimes 15) and then it will start. I have checked my battery connections and everything seems to be well connected and clean. I haven't ever had it completely not start, but I'm leaving for a road trip in a couple weeks and don't want to end up getting stranded somewhere on the road. Ideas???

You are going to need a friend for a little help. Next time it happens, turn the headlights on and see if they dim when you turn the key to start. If they dim down a bunch, that will tell you if your battery connections are the problem. If they don't dim, have your friend hold the key in the starting position, climb under the truck, and rap on the starter with a small hammer. If it starts, you have a hung up plunger in the starter solenoid. If neither of these options work, sell it real cheap to me because it is a POS and will never run right.

Does it only have a problem when the engine is warm? Or at any time? If it does it when it is warm, that too points to the plunger.

After it starts for the first time I don't have anymore problems until the truck sits for several hours.

Could use more info. Is this only during a cold start scenario? As in the truck has been sitting for an hour or so. Or is it after running and shutting off for a few minutes and trying to restart?

I've heard of people having issues with the ignition itself (in the column it gets work out).

I had this issue about 3-4 months ago. One cold morning it wouldn't start. Whacked the starter while my son cranked it. Fired up. Finally put the new starter in that I had sitting in my back seat. No problems since and it has been plenty cold since.

The starter logic circuit is very simple on these trucks.
Battery/fusible link AM1/ignition switch/neutral start switch/starter solenoid.
The load side of the starter is a direct connection to the positive battery terminal.
If the starter solenoid is not kicking in with a good solid thump when turning the key to start, then it could be one of the items in the logic circuit. Very easy to diagnose with a multimeter and someone turning the key. If you get +12 on the small logic terminal of the starter when the key is turned then the logic path is clean.
In this case it is possible that the starter solenoid has a buildup of dried grease and general poop preventing the plunger from moving freely.

If you are getting the solenoid "thump" but the starter motor doesn't crank, then the contacts are worn and need to be replaced.

I just had this issue too. Bought a starter 2.0kw on Rock auto and fixed it -- little over $100 shipped.

Typically I would rebuild the solenoid, but no time right now. I sent in a 1.4 core that was not oem, and I will rebuild the 2.2kw that I pulled out of it at a later date.

try a new fusible link, t could be corrode internally, I had a similar issue with an intermittent no start condition. battery corrosion had worked is way into the link over time since its directly off of the positive terminal, i cut it open after I replaced it and the corrosion was hidden under the link jacket .
do the dash lights come on when you turn the key and it dosent start, do you hear any clicking from the starter solenoid

If no click when the key is turned, tap on the starter and solenoid, then try again. I did that on my son's 94 for a couple weeks on cold no starts and worked every time. Then I changed the contacts and plunger, no problems at all.

I've dealt with this off and on for the past year or so. It comes and goes. Twice I've actually had the starter keep running even after ignition (it's a little freaky to have the engine keep trying to start when you turn the key off). I have a rebuilt Denso unit waiting to be put in, just waiting for the right day and temperature.

Had this same issue on and off for a couple of years. Read every no start issue thread on Mud. Installed 2 different brand new starters, banged on the starter while turning the key (worked sometimes) new battery(s), new ignition, verified fusible links were good and even installed a push button start at one time (which I thought had fixed the problem), etc, etc, all to no avail.

By chance one day, a friend of mine was helping me troubleshoot the issue and happened to touch the starter harness connector while I was pushing the start button. When he touched it, the engine immediately bumped and started to turn over. We both realized at that point that the problem all along was a loose starter harness connector.

I put a zip tie on the starter harness connector (drawing the two ends snugly together) and NEVER EVER had a no start issue again.

Good luck.

Sometimes when I get in my truck and turn the key the truck does nothing. It doesn't click or turn over. I can turn the key back and forth a few times (sometimes 3 sometimes 15) and then it will start. I have checked my battery connections and everything seems to be well connected and clean. I haven't ever had it completely not start, but I'm leaving for a road trip in a couple weeks and don't want to end up getting stranded somewhere on the road. Ideas???

Having the same issue right now. Recently replaced fusible link. Try that first; it's $8 from CDan or beno. Mine was shot; the starter issue is new and likely unrelated. (Side note: NLXTACY advised me to replace that sucker out of hand, as PM. Whoops.) Battery is new. Sometimes I get a hum and nothing else, sometimes it starts right up, sometimes the battery light comes on when I get the hum, sometimes it sort of half-cranks, sometimes it starts after a few tries. I never get the clicking sound. Thumped the starter with a broomstick after multiple failed starts, THEN turned the key (I did not do both at the same time); cranked over on the first try. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Now it's no-go again. Oh, and the latest symptom is, the idle drops until it stalls.

I'm guessing a new (well, rebuilt) starter will fix me up--and you too. I'd planned to replace it anyway; current one has 200k on it. (Now to catch the cooling system before it catches me...)

Btw--when you have to leave the engine running, everywhere you go? Your mpg drops to about 5.

Last edited:
The black connector here (52 to 57 + 138 to 141 second mark). BTW, mine would "click" when connecting but was actually never fully seating:

Please elaborate. What is the location of this connector?

I don't have any clicking or dash lights.

then it doest sound like an issue with the starter itself. could be the fusible links, a ground issue,, but you have a no power issue. if you connect a jump pack will it start or give you dash lights

I have power. Everything comes on when I turn the key and the battery gauge reads normal. Then when I turn the key to start, nothing happens. Turn it back and forth a few times and it starts. Sometimes if I hold the key in the start position for 5 seconds or so it will start. Probably fusible link based on all the responses.

So why would the fusible link be the issue? I don't understand this reasoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom