Trouble starting fresh rebuild 3B diesel, revs and dies (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been in and out here as I've had time to work on my cruiser project. Its a 1984 FJ40 BJ42 3B diesel.

I've been back on the project as of late and motivated to get it done, just got to the point of test starting the 3B engine that I rebuilt about 7 years ago but never started (bit scary).

Here's what i have rigged up to run it: Im sending a couple PSI of diesel to the IP from a diesel can with a small 12v diesel pump. I am cranking with a wire clipped to the starter solenoid and I have a wire going to the glow plug bar to send 24v to the glow plugs for a few seconds before I try cranking.

Nothing electrical is hooked to the engine, I unhooked the EDIC arm and hold the lever on the IP all the way to the right (counter clockwise) to the start position then try cranking. The engine will start and rev up quick then die weather I hold the IP lever or let it return to the "run" position.

Any ideas? I'll try and post a video.

Thanks!
-Rob

Its either damned air or the low oil pressure sensor thingy shutting the pump down. Take all your glow plugs out, crank the engine and you should get solid plumes of diesel spray from each cylinder. You shouldn't need an electric pump if the feed pump is working properly.

Make sure you have oil pressure...

X2 on what Rosco said above, if you haven't got 'plumes' of diesel coming out, bleed the injector pump and then crack each injector line - injector connection. When diesel sprays out the connection, tighten up and then she should fire up.

if it is a superglow system dont send 24v direct to the plug , test your plugs, maybe burned.
For the stalling engine , Lostmarbles and other diesel expert can probably identify your trouble better than me

Last edited:
I had the glow plugs out previously and had 4 good plumes of diesel when cranking. I was assuming the low oil shutoff can only shut off the injection pump if the EDIC is connected, is that correct?

Either way, I went out to take a video yesterday and the first time I tried it started and died after 2 seconds (first video) the second time I tried it fired up nice and kept running! (second video) not sure what changed but its working. It seemed to sound good to me though its the first time i've heard it run so you guys tell me? Woooooo! Let me know if the videos dont work so I can figure it out and repost them. thanks! -Rob

Jim Land, how might I know if I have a superglow glow plug system? I won't send 24v to the glow plugs again till I do more research on that.

-Rob

You said: No electrical is hooked up, right? Well the low oil shut off wont work if theres no electrical hooked up.

Must have been air cause all seems fine now. Cruisediesel, thanks for clarifying, that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Thanks Beno!

-Rob

I think you still had some air in the lines , but all cleared now.

My engine looks so sad compared to yours. Maybe i will rebuild one day:)

A little paint goes a long way. Next I'm going to try my hand at building a 304 SS exhaust for it. Finishing up retrofitting a 36" 100 year old wood cutting bandsaw into a nice metal cutting bandsaw to be able to miter cut exhuast tubing for welding... I'll post progress.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom