Trollhole Carb users: Please chime in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I've read 80+ pages on the carb thread and 2 installs.

I'm looking for short and sweet reviews of what your impressions were, how it installed and how it acted a while later.

It's going to be the cherry on top for my 60. I've had most of the motor refreshed and I'm looking to this for the tune up to be perfect. Once I get this lined out, it's going on its first road trip to possibly big bend for a week. I can't say that my carb is faulty or not working, but because I know this is the last of the smog parts that hasn't been changed I'd like to eliminate it.

Pictures, stories and all of the above are appreciated. I'm ready to buy it, I just need that extra push.

I have one and it works great, I will take pictures in the morning if you would like.
It was put in during a desmog. between the new carb and the desmog the truck "seemed" to just run a little stronger.
I have had it in for I guess a year and a half with no regrets. I was always blindly fiddling with the old carb.

So far so good. I did a complete desmog so I had some issues that were not related to carb really. Once I fixed the vacuum leaks and did the head job it runs like it should. One thing I've noticed is it seems to run better around 7-deg advanced than TH's recommended 9-deg. Might be my setup though, not sure. Price is great and the carb is simple.

I have one on my 40 and I'm in the process of swapping out the Aisin on my 60 for a Trollhole. I just de-smogged my 60 so going with the Trollhole is going to eliminate a lot of vacuum tubing and block-offs. I did notice on both of my Trollhole installs that the linkage from the pedal needed to be adjusted a smidge to allow the carb to be happy. On my 60, the linkages were a tad too short so they pulled on the carb linkage and caused it to idle too fast no matter how far I backed out the idle screw. Once I made the adjustments I was able to set the mixture and get the idle down to 650-700 rpm. They are good carbs. The Aisin rebuild kits work for them too. The castings and everything about them are virtually identical to an Aisin carb, except that they don't have the smog ports.

I had one of the ones that wasn't so good, metal shavings fouled everything up and I couldn't get a reply or any communication about it from trollhole , so I pulled it off and bought a better non China carb .the trollhole carb now lives out in my parts cruiser with the other junk and my 60 is much happier with a Japanese carb, I suggest you look at options before ya buy a carb , don't settle for China quality control

Last edited:
I've had a Trollhole on my desmogged 2F for almost five years. So far, the only major issue I've had was the float soaking up gas two years in, which I solved with the float from my old Aisin carb.

That said, I wish I could make the HAC work with the Trollhole -- here in western WA, a typical wheeling/camping trip might start at sea level in the morning and end at 6500 feet.

Had mine for several years with zero issues until just now, but that's simply a result of it sitting for nearly a year without being cranked. Ran perfectly before.

That said, I wish I could make the HAC work with the Trollhole -- here in western WA, a typical wheeling/camping trip might start at sea level in the morning and end at 6500 feet.

I made a manual HAC. I used one of the electrical VSV's, and plumed to vacuum with an electrical switch on the dash. When turned "on" then the second vacuum advance on the dizzy is activated. Wasn't very difficult.

I made a manual HAC. I used one of the electrical VSV's, and plumed to vacuum with an electrical switch on the dash. When turned "on" then the second vacuum advance on the dizzy is activated. Wasn't very difficult.
Got a little write-up on how you did that?

The vacuum secondary on my Trollhole did not function. I pulled the vacuum diaphragm off and replaced the spring behind it with a weaker spring from a $15 Holley kit and now it works perfectly. See post #170 here for details: The Rushing Turdle

Been running one for over six years now. Love it!

I have put three on three different trucks. Each ran way better than what was on there. Once I got the rest of my headaches on each truck fixed the carb was the least of my worries. Totally worth it! I've driven from my home elevation of 4500 all the way to 12000 and back down to 1000 with a trollhole carb and it ran great on my 2f. Still part of me wished I had the money to have Jim C rebuild the stocker, but I desmogged each truck at the same time so it was a no brainer.

I drank the Kool-aid, couldn't be happier! better mileage, quick starts, better acceleration. Goofed around with the stock aisin for ages with no good results-had a pro rebuild it and still wouldn't run right. Put on the THC, adjusted idle and haven't touched it since. Looks better too, cleaned up a lot of eyesore vacuum lines.

this weekend I'm jumping on that homegrown HAC hack.

Last edited:
Hijacking in progress...

in theory(?) when at high elevation couldn't you get out of the rig, run a line from the secondary advance to the port on the "gas filter" and call it good? the only issue I see with the homebrew HAC is you don't have the HA jets in the carb...

You could pop the hood and run a vacuum line when needed.
The OEM HAC doesn't use HA jets either. But, you could swap those in also as you go up in elevation.

You could pop the hood and run a vacuum line when needed.
The OEM HAC doesn't use HA jets either. But, you could swap those in also as you go up in elevation.
good point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom