1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

treeroot

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by nuclearlemon, Apr 2, 2006.

1. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

4:46am...just walked in the door. nathaniel's home with his rig....i'll call you tomorrow if i wake up. i've got ian's camera that i've got to get to you also.

2. Mikesta

Mikesta Waiting for more parts SILVER Star

did you buy an LV?

3. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

You just got in from Chinaman's?!?

4. nuclearlemon

noon...finally woke up...no lv's....thirty eight rigs showed up to wheel chinaman's gulch with a couple of the fjcruisers.

here's a few pics

5. nuclearlemon

more pics

6. wesintl

wesintl

It was an epic trip. Some 38 toyota's of all years and vintages :) 40's, 55, 60's, 62's, 70, 80's, 100's, runners, minis,

Robbie and Chris piloted stock fj's with ease while almost every rig had some sort of lift and or lockers. I got a little trail time with Chris in the FJ and some great pointers. You can always learn that's for sure. The rest of the FJ Team Jeremy, Troy, Ali, Mary Ann thanks for the FJ swag :)

I got in around midnight. I almost didn't have lights on the way home but I found the issue and with Seldom_seen help we rigged it up in the dark while snowing and I got power back to my yellow tops.

It's awesome wheelin with a great bunch of cruiserheads willing help out whatever arises with a down rig. Nathaniel was in good hands that's for sure. Did john turn the bruuitos into chimis?

More on the trip visit the Rising Sun Trip Report section.
    http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/forumdisplay.php?f=4

7. nuclearlemon

here's where the long night started. on this obstacle, we all heard a giant POP

as much as we hoped for a driveline, it was the rear axle. called ahead (our group was so huge that the front runners were almost off the trail, we were still an hour away from the end) and sent chris hatfield off to a local cruisershop to get long side 60 axle shaft while we got the rest of the rigs up.

from there, nathaniel, uncle ben and i started the teardown of nathaniel's rig. he had a detroit, which apparently sucks to deal with on the trail. we couldn't get the axles in far enough to get the c clips off/on, so we used a ratchet strap and a rock. we were done pulling the shaft, and the stub/chuncks before the new axle showed up.

after a beer to help us through the long cold night (with impending snow), we all abandoned nat's rig and headed down the mountain to meet chris with the new shaft.

with snow expected and occasional flurries seen, we left my rig at the bottom, and all piled into u.b's 80...even baja'ing back up chinaman's it was still almost an hour drive back up. got everything buttoned up and headed back down trail about 12:30am.

got down with no tadoo, dan markofsky, nathaniel and i headed out, leaving u.b. to camp out in his rig. after airing up, we began our harrowing trip home...while hitting a blinding snowstorm on 285, we found that icy roads and a sudden serious slop in my 60's steering did not mix well:eek: the taper of the tre and arms don't really match and were shimmed, but the shims got beat on chinaman's and werent' doing their job...so, we pulled over at a gas station and cut some pieces out of dan's pringles can for additional shim material and headed home.

8. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

Nathaniel had it with that line, his first attempt was so close and when he fell back on the rear tire, all the weight was on the driver's rear tire. Another 3" and he was over but....one tire, one axle, pushing the weight of the Cruiser was too much. You never know Nathaniel, you have wheeled that truck more places than most of us, so the shaft could have had a twist in it long before Chinaman's.

and Ige, why were you running the wrong tie rod ends? I though all that was brand new:confused:

9. nuclearlemon

fj60's run a larger taper on the drag link...can't find a normal tre to match and can't use the 60's f'd up drag link ends since they hit the tires with hi steer. can't find a place to weld and retaper my pitman and r arm. so i have to get new hi steer arms (outta my budget) and don't know what i'll do about pitman right now. guess i'll have to go back to low steer and it's issues vs. lift for now.

10. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Glad you guys got home o.k. I rolled into bed around midnight. A long fun day. :beer:

11. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Gee, this thread is titled Treeroot and not one picture of him

:idea: Hey, I can fix that