Trd Supercharger For 95-97 Cruiser????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
I wanted to talk about superchargers or any other power adders of this sort for a stock engine in a 95-97 Lancruiser. I was wondering if a stock short block from a Landcruiser of the specified years would hold up with that extra boost, or even the stock transmission? I actually have a 2004 Mustang Cobra that comes factory supercharged with about 8 lbs. of boost max, the thing is the short block was built to withstand the extra horsepower/boost using forged internals and a steel block. I was wondering about the TRD supercharger kit from toyota, I wanted to ask all the cruiserheads (running superchargers on there otherwise stock cruisers) how there cruiser has held up? How many miles have they put on there rigs with these superchargers installed? Any problems with anything-Idling, driveabliity, reliability? Anything, please post up. thank you.

Last edited:
I've had the S/C on for about 25K. I blew a HG after a few K but IMO it was not due to the S/C as the conditions had been set up prior to the S/C install (had an overheating bout prior to S/C install which was addressed only by replacement of the water pump).

Other than that, my only real problem is that's it's a hellava lot more drivable and makes towing much easier. Milage is about the same. I run M1 q5K miles and keep full synthetics in the tranny, transfer, and diffs.

Have never heard of anyone cracking a block or anything similar.

cc93cruiser said:
I wanted to talk about superchargers or any other power adders of this sort for a stock engine in a 95-97 Lancruiser. I was wondering if a stock short block from a Landcruiser of the specified years would hold up with that extra boost, or even the stock transmission? I actually have a 2004 Mustang Cobra that comes factory supercharged with about 8 lbs. of boost max, the thing is the short block was built to withstand the extra horsepower/boost using forged internals and a steel block. I was wondering about the TRD supercharger kit from toyota, I wanted to ask all the cruiserheads (running superchargers on there otherwise stock cruisers) how there cruiser has held up? How many miles have they put on there rigs with these superchargers installed? Any problems with anything-Idling, driveabliity, reliability? Anything, please post up. thank you.

You do know that the TRD doesn't have an intercooler and some on here are relegated to alcohol injection to avoid pinging.

I just threw this in because your cobra SC setup is basically maintenance free compared to the TRD setup.

I also need more power and am waiting for a turbo setup from man-a-fre, but that’s not a guaranteed maintenance free statement either, but it is easier on the internal engine components comparatively speaking.

ultimauk said:
You do know that the TRD doesn't have an intercooler and some on here are relegated to alcohol injection to avoid pinging.

I just threw this in because your cobra SC setup is basically maintenance free compared to the TRD setup.

I also need more power and am waiting for a turbo setup from man-a-fre, but that’s not a guaranteed maintenance free statement either, but it is easier on the internal engine components comparatively speaking.

What maintenance are you referring to? :confused: Other than having to run premium fuel and change the belt every ??? miles, there is no maintenance on the SC. Don't know about the turbo.

you do know that it's widely recognized among psychologists (and ladies) that putting a S/C or a T/C on an engine is simply a Freudian overcompensation for errrr... other things being less than powerful enough...? :D :D :D

...or to draw attention away from what is our obvious overendowment. :D :D

I don't have SC but sure do like the idea of having one :bounce:
So I have been paying attention to the post about them and recall someone posting a rather pissed but informative warning that after adding a SC they tore up there transmission. Evidently the damage could have been avoided by installing so enhanced valve work. Don't remember the details but sort of said to myself, mental note if you ever get a SC do the trans valve mod first. Others with more first hand experience can clarify BS or not.
:cheers:

I think Steve (Laird) was the one with that post, but not sure if the same problem has been encountered by others with SC or turbo.

Mot

Whoa! Maintenence probs??? Tranny Probs??? All urban legends as far as I can see. Put mine on at 60000mi, now have 100000mi. Runs just fine. I do change the oil every 3000mi and flush the rad every year but nothing else extra, but many here do that anyway. Just make sure that your cooling system is working PERFECTLY before installation.
Cheers,
Sean

I have 130K on my truck and want to S/C it soon. I have heard of guys putting on S/C with even more miles and minimal problems, if any. If your tranny is going bad, a S/C might expedite the process, not cause it.

"What maintenance are you referring to? "

alcohol injection has a tank to refill; his cobra has a water to air intercooler as does the safari turbo (air to air) e.g. no routine/daily maintenance issues.

also he has a 93 and > 175,000 miles on his rig so maybe a wise call to slee will provide extra professional advice about a SC on an older high milage 80.

Last edited:
If you search I have added lots of personal information about addition of superchargers and or turbo systems to the 1FZ engines. But the quick ands dirty is if you have any weakness or do not know the condition of the engine, do not due it. I have installed some on older engines but we usually like to pull the head make sure the cylinders are ok and the carbon is cleaned out. Install a new head gasket, Mill the head to make sure it is flat. (if really high milage, do a valve job). Install a clean set of injectors. Now for 93-94 model years, install a Rising pressure fuel regulator (no need for the Methnol). Install the Iridum spark plugs. Make sure your fuel system is up to snuff or install a high flow fuel pump.
As for the trannies, Yes they can have problems if you do not get them up to snuff or are a real lead foot, these trucks are not race cars. Either trannies can have problems if you do not treat then well. But I beleive if you want them to last with the extra boost then a valve body switch is in order. There are options for this out there, some from over seas and some in the states. All cost money.
Search for some of the other threads (which there are many) for more information. later robbie

cc93cruiser said:
I wanted to talk about superchargers or any other power adders of this sort for a stock engine in a 95-97 Lancruiser.

I bought a 1997 with 26000 miles and installed the SC with no other preparations or mods to the engine other than new plugs. Ran 93 octane all the way until I sold it to Kaderabek last fall (100k+ miles) and never had one single issue with the supercharger or engine. The only time I ever had any pinging was if I bought cheapo gas. Otherwise, it ran like dammit. I did replace the plug wires at about 90k miles just because I felt like it.

I am not sure I'd add the SC to a high mile truck (I am in that dilemma now with my new Anniversary at 124K miles). :confused:

The unit was designed specifically for this engine. It can more than handle the boost. But if you like livin' wild, I have an new original replacement pulley from TRD I'll sell you that will give you 10 lbs of boost.

Jim

thanks el mariachi I was just wondering about it cuz I am about to buy a 97 with 125k miles with a supercharger already installed, if it was up to me i would actually like the cruiser without the supercharger, it just seems to me that maybe there would be reliability issues with the supercharger, although I was thinkin to swap the blower pulley and ider pullies on my 04 cobra :) , 390+horsepower is not enough! :D

cc93cruiser said:
thanks el mariachi I was just wondering about it cuz I am about to buy a 97 with 125k miles with a supercharger already installed, if it was up to me i would actually like the cruiser without the supercharger, it just seems to me that maybe there would be reliability issues with the supercharger, although I was thinkin to swap the blower pulley and ider pullies on my 04 cobra :) , 390+horsepower is not enough! :D

I would do a compression check and look at the spark plugs before buying a SC Cruiser with 125K miles. If its been treated right, everything will check out good and you'll be glad to have it help push the beast. My situation is different...I know this Cruiser is good...and I'd like to have the blower with the 285's I am going to mount. But adding it now could accelerate engine wear or bring problems to bear. If you pull it off, let me know, I might buy it.

Jim

When are they due to be changed?

Amazing that I've only put 4,000 miles on your truck in 6 months? Or amazing that the SC hasn't blown the hood off?

TJK

elmariachi said:
Holy cow, that's amazing. Next time you change the plugs let me know how they look, or send a pic....I still have some old ones to compare.

Jim

Todd, that doesn't make you nervous, does it? :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom