Transmission Temp Sensor Install - Advice on Two Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
People with 4Runners/Prados/Surfs who have a transmission temp gauge, I have a question for you. I've been doing my research for how to install the temp sender on my 96 Surf ((1KZ), and narrowed it down to two options:

1. The ATF cooler pipe that runs to the rad is connected to the outlet port on the transmission via a brass (?) pipe union that also receives the stock ATF temp sensor. The steel tube is screwed into the union, which is essentially a T-connector. So option 1 is to install a t-connector between the union and the existing cooler piper, which will receive the temp sender. I do not know the size/thread on the tube, but the temp sender is 1/8" NPT. Two problems I see: moving the existing steel tube to accommodate the t-connector (i don't know if there is any slack, and I don't want to cut the pipe), and finding the right t-connector. I am sure if I figure out the thread, I'll find the right adapter.

2. the steel cooler pipe runs to the front of the vehicle, where it is joined to a flexible hose that goes in to the rad (same thing happens with the return connection). So, option 2 is to splice a t-connector with the temp sender into this flex hose. This seems much easier to do, but I am not sure if the distance from the transmission will significantly affect the temperature reading. Another benefit is that i could do this at the same time as installing a transmission intercooler.

thoughts? experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom