Transmission Shops in the East Valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if anyone knows of a good reputable transmission shop in the E.Valley that they could recommend? My daughter has a 99 RAV4 that the tranny took a dump, while driving out to the AZ from CA a couple of months back. Been moving in and getting the house situated so it hasn't been a priority... plus she drives my LC or our other car if she needs to go anywhere.

I'm in the e-coli water district (Queen Creek/San Tan Valley), so anything within 30 miles would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

First; define "took a dump"? It can often be a electric control or solenoid problem, relatively easy/cheap to repair.

Second; I'm don't have much trust in trans shops. Would go see Murf, a Toyota rebuild is often more reliable and cost competitive.

I checked for an ECU update that i know fixed many of the transmission issues in the 2001-2004 RAV4's. UNfortunately the 99 doesnt fall into this category. Reman Toyota OEM transmissions are a great value which is available. All internal parts are new - only the outer case is reusued on a reman.

I might be able to find you a good used one that would carry a one year parts and labor warranty.

Murf

Last edited:
First; define "took a dump"? It can often be a electric control or solenoid problem, relatively easy/cheap to repair.

Second; I'm don't have much trust in trans shops. Would go see Murf, a Toyota rebuild is often more reliable and cost competitive.

While cruising along at 70 mph on the 10 E, about 45miles west of Blythe her engine starting revving and her car was slowing down. When we pulled off the interstate, no matter what gear we put it in the vehicle wouldn't respond. Drive, Reverse, it was like it was in neutral. We put it in park and it would make a gear grinding sound. We just turned it off and called a tow truck and towed it the rest of the way. When we got it to the house we tried it again, but to no avail. I ran it by my buddy that works at Lexus and he said it sounds like we need to find a remanned tranny. So that's the reason I inquired about a good shop...

Anyway, I'll PM MURF and see what he can assist with... Thanks all!

Scott

FWD or AWD? When you put it in park, no need to start the motor, does it roll, can you push it? If it does and makes a noise, grinding, clicking, where is the noise coming from?

I have done a bunch with Randy's transmissions in Mesa. Twin brothers own/run the shop. Very knowledgable and trustworthy. We have used them a ton at our shop.

Tools R Us said:

X2 Check the computer/ecu stuff first, known issue.

I know it's a really dumb question, but does it have any tranny fluid it in?

While cruising along at 70 mph on the 10 E, about 45miles west of Blythe her engine starting revving and her car was slowing down. When we pulled off the interstate, no matter what gear we put it in the vehicle wouldn't respond. Drive, Reverse, it was like it was in neutral. We put it in park and it would make a gear grinding sound. ...

My guess, it's not the trans. The key clue is "We put it in park and it would make a gear grinding sound." This indicates that the output shaft is spinning, so the "stuff" in the trans is likely working, but the power isn't getting to the wheels?

Next test: Chock the wheels, set the E-brake, have a helper hold the brake, start the motor, put it in gear, if needed slightly depress the accelerator, maybe 2500rpm. Walk around the car, do you hear any grinding/clicking noise, if so where is it coming from? Look under the car, are any of the drive or axle/CV shafts spinning, if so which one, what is spinning and not?

I'm not experienced with the RAV4, but if it were an 80 series I would guess a stripped drive plate. It could be something simple, like a CV, etc, or could be the trans?

Hey thanks for all the input. I didn't plug in this weekend.. too many things going on around the house still...

FWD or AWD? When you put it in park, no need to start the motor, does it roll, can you push it? If it does and makes a noise, grinding, clicking, where is the noise coming from?

It's FWD, it does roll while in park, however I don't recall hearing any noises. I'll check it again this evening when I get home from work

I have done a bunch with Randy's transmissions in Mesa. Twin brothers own/run the shop. Very knowledgable and trustworthy. We have used them a ton at our shop.

Cool, thanks for the info.

X2 Check the computer/ecu stuff first, known issue.

Sorry, not sure what I'm looking for.:confused: There is no CEL that came on... should I stick my OBDII scanner on it and check it out? Sorry I'm a little tranny challenged!

I know it's a really dumb question, but does it have any tranny fluid it in?

Yes, that's the crazy thing. One of the first things I checked when we pulled over. And the fluid didn't look or smell burnt or dark or anything. Somewhat still pinkish and clear.

My guess, it's not the trans. The key clue is "We put it in park and it would make a gear grinding sound." This indicates that the output shaft is spinning, so the "stuff" in the trans is likely working, but the power isn't getting to the wheels?

Next test: Chock the wheels, set the E-brake, have a helper hold the brake, start the motor, put it in gear, if needed slightly depress the accelerator, maybe 2500rpm. Walk around the car, do you hear any grinding/clicking noise, if so where is it coming from? Look under the car, are any of the drive or axle/CV shafts spinning, if so which one, what is spinning and not?

I'm not experienced with the RAV4, but if it were an 80 series I would guess a stripped drive plate. It could be something simple, like a CV, etc, or could be the trans?

I'll check it again tonight. Start it up and put it in gear and see if I hear any abnormal noises.

I knew I should have looked for a 4 Runner or a pick up.. but she just finished HS last year 2011 and needed a good economical vehicle to drive to Alabama from Socal & back. I'm just glad this happened with me driving to AZ and not while she was with my mom driving to or from Alabama...

Thanks again guys. :cheers:

ScottyDog

Scotty got it over here to our service dept.

There is no substitution for getting the ol' eyeballs on the situation...turns out just a bad aftermarket axle assy.

Replaced the axle and good as new :steer:

Good to know. I'm bettin' that was cheaper than a transmission repair. Lucky dawg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom