Transmission issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm relativity new to LCs and to this forum but I've got a question I was hoping some experienced members could answer.

I've had my 80 ('97 LX) about 2 months now and I noticed a that the transmission is having a bit of hiccup when reversing. It seems to work and engage fine on flat ground but if I try to reverse up a steep incline or reverse in any situation that requires a little bit of torque, the transmission seems to slip and make a very unpleasant grinding noise. The only way I've found to avoid this situation is to drop the TC into 4-lo, doing that completely remedies any kind of slipping or grinding. It's got me a little worried about the longevity of my transmission and I'm curious if I should go take it into a shop now.

Also, I cannot seem to find the location of the transmission dipstick so I'm not sure what the level of the fluid is like. I've gotten underneath the truck and I don't see any leaks so there really shouldn't be any reason for the ATF to be low.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Trans dipstick is on the driver's side of the engine next to the intake manifold.

When your transmission selector hits the detents (the "grooves" that it slips into in each gear) is the indicator on the shifter lined up well with whatever gear it is?

BTW it has 191k miles. Not sure how long these trannys are supposed to last
Trans dipstick is on the driver's side of the engine next to the intake manifold.

When your transmission selector hits the detents (the "grooves" that it slips into in each gear) is the indicator on the shifter lined up well with whatever gear it is?

Yes it does seems to be lined up well. Look as if it's fully engaged in gear. I found the dipstick and fluid level seems to be fine and fluid looks red like it's supposed to be. Am I supposed to check the level when the vehicle is off? I've heard some transmission you should check when the vehicle is on and in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom