(Transition Complete!) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Re:Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics)

Mock setup of the rear axle in place. Ya, the axle is still all dirty and won't get any of the special treatment 'cause a full float rear will be replacing it as soon as it gets here. One thing I would recommend is a little taller shop/garage so you can use taller jack stands so you have more room underneath, and a taller bay door!! I think she's gonna need completely flat tires to get out--gonna be hard to turn some flat tires at such a sharp angle that's required to make it out the door too. No matter! It's still gonna be worth it--we'll get it out somehow. Should have the front axle housing tomorrow and get it all cleaned up and put back together. Maybe even bolted up--who knows!

Re:(Update) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics)

theferg,
I've had to deal with that same problem in an elevation challenged environment. Just take an old set of stock wheels that would normally end up in the scrap heap and mount-up some of those hated miniature spares from cars. They can be tough to mount but you can use them forever cause you don't put any real miles on them. You can drive it out on rims but its hard on the floor.

Re:(Update Again.) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics)

Rear axle officially hung and bolted on. Cruiser is now being supported by the jack stands under the rear axle. Oh man! It's gettin' so close to being done...

Now pretty much just waitin' for the front axle housing to return from it's trip to SLC for the cut-n-turn. Should be gettin' it all finished up by tomorrow night or Saturday morning. It's been alot of work and sometimes discouraging (I totally spent all this damn time on the spring plates for the rear just to find out I drilled the holes in the wrong spots on it...luckily I had a spare plate that was for the front that I could use.) Anyway, sometimes it's like "Man. Is this thing ever going to get done?" then it's like, "Holy s***e! This thing is comin' right along!" Anyway, more pics soon.

Whose yellow cruiser is that? A freind of mine has a neighbor that is apparently doing a resto on a yellow cruiser. Haven't seen it around. Anxious to see your 60 around after all your work. You ought to make a nice how to page with all those pics.... for the future generations

are you in utah?
where in slc did you send the axle to get turned and what did they cost?
i'm in manti if that means anything to you.

Ben,

Yer gonna have to do the whole drill again on the rear if yer FFA ever shows ::)

That's a drag you don't have it yet :'(

engjake: That yellow 40 is Mike B's. He's down in Nibley... Ya, I was thinking I was gonna do a nice howto and put it up on my website and then submit it to Woody... That's funny, I think I have yet to see yours runnin' around here...

rusmannx: Yep, I'm up in the Cache Valley and I actually drove the axle down to SLC. It was Cruiser Outfitters. He quoted me $100 for the cut-n-turn, $20 to have all the un-needed crap torched off (old spring perches and u-bolt hangers). Also, I'm gettin' a front axle rebuild kit from him for like $80 or so.

cruiserdan: I know--it SUCKS! It made me have to find a 4.10 dif to stick in my SF for now and the one I came up with is from a '76 and has the coarse spline pinion which has the coarse spline pinion flange which has the older, smaller, bolt pattern that doesn't just bolt up to the driveshaft on my 60 (and, of course, has NO extra room to redrill...so, I had to try to find the mythical one from some year cruiser that had the coarse spline pinion flange with the later years bolt pattern (which I don't think really exists) and came up empty so then tried to find the other mythical, aftermarket one that comes un-drilled and you can just drill your own...which I might have now found--we'll see tomorrow. Anyways, yes it sucks that I don't have my damn FF rear axle yet!

Anyway, I'm headin' to SLC tomorrow morning to pickup the front axle housing. Should have it put back together and under the truck tomorrow night if all goes well. More picks on the way of course.

[quote author=engjake link=board=1;threadid=4378;start=msg34196#msg34196 date=1061585061]
Whose yellow cruiser is that? A freind of mine has a neighbor that is apparently doing a resto on a yellow cruiser. Haven't seen it around. Anxious to see your 60 around after all your work. You ought to make a nice how to page with all those pics.... for the future generations
[/quote]

That would be my rig. Who is your friend?

Mike,
Yours must be a different Cruiser. Gabe Chadwick is a friend of mine that has a shop next to some guy in Smithfield that apparently has a yellow FJ he's fixing up. Supposedly its pretty nice. Now that I think about it, seems like he lives up on cliffside. You must be mike that bought the Rhino Lining guy's 55? I asked him if he'd sell it to me a while back, but he wanted too much for it at the time.

Ferg,
Funny, I see your cruiser all the time - except recently for obvious reasons - but every time I pass you I'm in my wife's car. One of these days you'll see me around I'm sure. I drive it to work every day.

[quote author=engjake link=board=1;threadid=4378;start=msg34478#msg34478 date=1061681136]
Mike,
Yours must be a different Cruiser. Gabe Chadwick is a friend of mine that has a shop next to some guy in Smithfield that apparently has a yellow FJ he's fixing up. Supposedly its pretty nice. Now that I think about it, seems like he lives up on cliffside. You must be mike that bought the Rhino Lining guy's 55? I asked him if he'd sell it to me a while back, but he wanted too much for it at the time.

[/quote]

Yeah I bought the 55 from the rhino lining guy. I asked about buying it about a year and a half ago and he wanted way too much. He still wanted a lot when I bought it, but cash speaks so I got it for a good deal. You need to come out wheeling with us sometime, or even just come hang out at the shop.

MORE!!!

Front axle has been rebuilt and the e-locker and long-splined inner were added to the mix!!! And the front axle is now bolted up. The Cruiser now rests upon the axles which are on jack stands. This biotch is pretty tall. Gonna hafta rally it a bit to get the springs to drop a bit--and they should, if not, then I'll remove a leaf all around. Anyway, all that's left is brake lines, driveshafts, steering, and new size 35 shoes!!! It's gettin' so close!!!

Passenger side. I suck at workin' the flash on my camera so all the pics were dark so I had to lighten them up and I suck at that as well. Anyway, :flipoff2:

The front axle from the front (couldn't back up anymore cause there was some giant yellow thing in my way :flipoff2: ). That u-bolt that's on the side of the diff housing sucks a$$ to make and sucks a$$ even more to get on if your redneck tools fail and you can't bend it quite right.... But we got it on and it looks pretty good. Still need to weld up a stop that won't let it slide down the slope there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom