transfer case rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
Can anybody recommend a shop that can rebuild my transfer case on an 87 60? I leaks really bad and I recently replaced the fill plug. I don't know how but some how I stripped the bolt in the case. So now it just turns, it will get somewhat tight. I just took it up north and before I did I checked the fluid and it was almost gone. I think the leak is getting worse.

Or is this something I can try myself?

Or should I just look for a used one?

Sean

Yes we can but if you can source a good used one you could save a few $$. the new parts can add up quick fyi

Contact Georg at Valley Hybrids in CA. He is the man, if he has a good used case, he will ship it to you.

Contact Georg at Valley Hybrids in CA. He is the man, if he has a good used case, he will ship it to you.

X2 on Georg, I've dealt with in the past and would again.

Curious what the easiest way to replace the transfer case on a 60 series. Pull the transmission/transfer together and switch transfer case and reinstall the two together or break the transfer case apart under the vehicle and switch. My guess since your already dealing with a oil leak outside the vehicle you could do a better job putting it together. Plus replace rear oil seal on the engine while your in there.

I would never "boot" Georg but if you are looking at a rebuild then just pull the t-case and rebuild it....................

while the case is off/out get it tanked and have the machine shop tig weld the plug area with a build up and re-tap, piece of cake! I've done this with 3 cases. it seems pretty common for owners to crank away at a drain plug instead of purchasing a new seal for less than a $1.00

if you buy a used case you are still looking at a removal/install at minimum, $250 for the t-case kit and maybe another $250 for the rebuild. $500 for some added insurance should go along way

it seems pretty common for owners to crank away at a drain plug instead of purchasing a new seal for less than a $1.00

I wasn't sure if he was talking about the drain/fill plugs or one of the other bolts. My FJ62 transfer case leaks and I slowed it down by tightening the bolts. The drain fill plugs on the FJ62 are very shallow head on the plug and easy to round off and a pain to loosen. I replaced them with the one that uses the 10MMM hex head. I do totally agree with replacing the washers. That's one of those items I always buy extras of to have on hand. On the drain plug replace every time. The fill I replace as needed since it doesn't require draining the oil to replace.

another thing to consider (and possibly the most important) is damage to the gear set due to lack of fluid

if the fluid smells "roasted" the internals probably are.....................

So nobody local? I contacted Georg, he was surprised that nobody knows anyone here. He was going to see if he knew anybody. To clarify, it doesn't smell bad and this was the first time checking the fluid after using a new plug and washer.

Northwest Mesa, and actually he gave me a few names to try and you were one of them.

I'd be more than willing to help you out, I'm down in NE Tucson and work out of my house. I can't offer transportation right now as I'm stretched pretty thin with work and family.

If this is a project you want to tackle by yourself I'm also willing to help with the rebuild if you could bring the transfer case to Tucson?

Hey guys.
Thanks for the mention and kind words. These cases really aren't that difficult to rebuild. I'm perplexed that there isn't a shop in Phx willing to take it on.
Try sending a pm to my buddy Odie aka "megatoy66" on here. He lives in town and may know if a good shop. If that doesn't work out, let me know.
I have the rebuild kits and plenty if parts in stock, including good used cases. But as sean mentioned, it'll be cheaper and easier to have the hole tug welded and re-tapped. Changing over to the 10mm allen style drain plugs is definitely the way to go. I stock these as well, I buy them in bags of 100 at a time .......
Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom