Transfer case for 6x6 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hello all.

Been contemplating a 6x6 build with my cruiser, still just a pipe dream.

But I was wondering, is it possible to get a 3rd power output from the 60 series transfer case, through the rear transfer case cover?
Would require some modding of course just wondering if it would be technically possible.

Sounds like a mildly ambitious project

do more research the work and money will never be worth the gain, spend the money on a lift and larger tires unless its for the cool factor or advertising.and yes anything can be converted to 6x6 if you have the time and money.good luck

Only way I know that you can do that is with an older domestic transfer case. I think it was the 205 or 200. It has offset front and centered rear originally, and the offset rear cap can be replaced with an output. John

thanks for the replies guys.

I´m already on 38" tires, next step would be 44", that is plan B.

I´ll not be doing this unless I know what to do with every step of the conversion.

There are a few 6x6 trucks over here and they work very well in the snow, so a 6x6 38" truck should outperform a 4x4 44" truck.

was also thinking about getting a small transfer case on the front rear axle, similar to what comes on some 6x6 Volvos, but a triple output transfer case should be a "cleaner" solution.

thanks for the replies guys.

I´m already on 38" tires, next step would be 44", that is plan B.

I´ll not be doing this unless I know what to do with every step of the conversion.

There are a few 6x6 trucks over here and they work very well in the snow, so a 6x6 38" truck should outperform a 4x4 44" truck.

was also thinking about getting a small transfer case on the front rear axle, similar to what comes on some 6x6 Volvos, but a triple output transfer case should be a "cleaner" solution.

What does arctic trucks use for their 6x6's?

If you lived in canada or the states you could pick up some 2.5's from 100dollarman.com but that would also add alot of weight...

you could maybe stack two toyota transfer cases and rotate one so you would have two ouptputs.

edit: at 27 seconds in you can see they have something bolted onto the middle diff to allow a driveshaft behind it to the rear axle: http://www.arctictrucks.is/?pageid=4698

IMG_2731_resize.JPG

they use a power take off on the front rear axle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TV7gq_AiaXA#!

I´m leaning towards that solution, want to be able to disengage and preferably lift the rear axle for on road driving.

Maybe a PTO unit on the transfer case could be an option, since the transfer case can mount one for the winch?

I´m leaning towards that solution, want to be able to disengage and preferably lift the rear axle for on road driving.

Maybe a PTO unit on the transfer case could be an option, since the transfer case can mount one for the winch?

Im not sure the PTO was designed to take the full load of the engine. The winch or hydraulics fed from the PTO shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 horsepower at the max Id think, but then again maybe someone knows for sure.

You say you want to lift the rear axle and then drive with it up, it sounds like more of a hassle, but I guess you could run both the rear axles on airbags, deflate them, then chain up one rear axle, then inflate the other one, but it could cause driveline issues or be dangerous if you bottomed out your suspension at speed... Id be more inclined to leave it 4x6 for pavement driving.

thats a nice truck and with the heavy loads they have the extra axle comes in handy.check out steel soldiers website on 6x6 trucks they cover alot of different styles and should give you some ideas. good luck

Heavy equipment just uses airbags to lift axles it's pretty simple then if you loose pressure you will just drop the axle look at heavy load haulers

I like the 60 6x6 idea but would not be able to make it.
Maybe hydro drive can get some extra power to the wheels?
http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/1109349-hydro-drive-2-a-4.html

HydroDrive-350_1.jpg

Maybe you can extend the rear and you need about 110 cm to add an extra pair of springs if you take a normal axle.
Maybe the lifting idea is to much weight for the extended U-chassis?

50cm short to add extra springs, or somehow put the wheels closer together and fit the springs next to each othe?
So the rear spring is about 10 cm more to the centre?

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
I was leaning towards a bogie setup with air springs, so when I would deflate the rear and pump a bit in the front ones it should lift the wheels, that or a extra air spring to lift the axle and then some chains maybe to secure it.

Also the frame would need to be reinforced and lengthened, I´m assuming the wheels would stick out the rear a few inches, I would just fabricate a fender/bumper to cover that up.

In my opinion the biggest hurdle would be to deliver the power to the rear axle, suspension and frame work is just some creative fab work :)

Hi Talos!

I know what I would do:
Buy a Volvo TGB20, you can fit 40" tires, I have, and between the lower total gearing and the larger tires you're just about standard.
Keep suspension, frame and axles and fit a Toyota diesel and gearbox.

I know a bit about this, and which power steering box can be added, disc brakes etc.

And add the body you want...

I have thought about a HJ45 6X6 with a camper box a bir bigger than Soenkes...

Take an old np200 and a np205, put them in a box and shake real hard and you can get a centered and an offset rear output.

Seen it done under a bronco years ago.

Personally, I would look real hard at a pair of Rockwells on walking beam suspension and a single rear output for the T/C.

Mark...

on the NP205 subject, is there any kit available to mount one to the H55f?

youd have to check out marks 4wd adapters or adavanced adapters websites.

I agree with the comment on rockwells, but being in iceland you may be able to buy 3 cruisers for the cost of shipping them over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom