Tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I think I asked this back at SOR, but I have a bad memory too cluttered with school- are the bellhousing tranny-side patterns the same for the F 3 spd bellhousing and the F 4spd bellhousing? In other words, do I need a F 4 speed bellhousing in order to install a F 4 spd onto my 74 F?
And, are all gears synchro on the F 4 spd? ???

A 74 has a four speed bellhousing. F and 2F are the same on the engine side.

All gears are synchro-ed on a 4 speed
I have a '74, that has a 3 spd, which I would think has a 3 spd bellhousing ???
I know about bellhousing engine side, but are '74 F 4 spd's the same tranny as the '75+ 2f 4 spds? I thought they were a different tranny.... I guess the '74's that had the 4 spd option essentially had a 2f bellhousing with a 2f 4 spd, on a F transfer (has different input shaft than standard F 3spd).
This is all very very confusing :dunno:

As I understand it the 74 transition year used a modified F, a four speed and a transition x-fer that was like a three speed, but with a different input shaft to accomidate the four speed. it had gearing in between the four speed and three speeds. If yours has a three speed trans, I have to think it is an early model where they were using up the old stock. Either way the engine side of the bellhousing matches up F to 2F. The trans side is very different from 3 to 4 speed trans. On the trans, input shafts are the same, oputput shafts are different. The transfer depends on if it was mated to a 3 speed, a transition 4 speed, or a four speed.

Phew these transiton years are pretty tricky. Unless I can get this 4 spd cheap to use temporarily I may just hold off and go with an SM420. Thanks for your help. :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom