Trailer Wiring Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron and Mac,

Just curious....why didn't you use an OEM flasher? (your welcome, CDan)

The towing package that the 80's came with includes a heavy duty flasher.

Did you relace the OEM flasher as PM or because it failed?

BTW, I relaced side marker lights and rear ID bar with LED's to reduce amp draw.

Ed

The main reason I'm switching is because I'm an idiot. Also, given the goofy way my trailer lights are behaving, I wanted to get known good parts in the system. My intent - thus far unrealized - was to install a flasher rated at 12 lamps, since I have 10 bulbs now and am adding LED mirrors. The existing flasher says it is rated at something like 4 lamps, and that just bugs me. So far it works, but I'm not going to let a minor detail like that deter me from throwing money at the truck. BigMac

Ed -

>> Just curious....why didn't you use an OEM flasher? (your welcome, CDan) The towing package that the 80's came with includes a heavy duty flasher.

I'm not entirely certain that the HD OEM flasher was designed to handle upwards to 6 lights per side. Since both of my bumpers have directionals, a trailer with only one light has me up to 5 per side already. So, like Mac, I upgraded before I started to have problems, rather than wait until something blows.

>> BTW, I relaced side marker lights and rear ID bar with LED's to reduce amp draw.

Yep, I've considered this... but I'm not convinced the LEDs would be bright enough or "quick" enough for use as directionals - that being the issue with the flasher.

Mac -

Yep, the EP36 - or equivalent - will solve the problem. Glad I could help. Now on to something else to throw money at... ;)

R -

BigMac,

>> So far it works, but I'm not going to let a minor detail like that <<
>> deter me from throwing money at the truck. <<

Now THAT's funny!

:D :D :D

-B-

Installed a second replacement converter and added another ground and presto - I'm back in business. BigMac

Perf..... ::)

It had to be the "second wire" that did it. ;) A wise Carrier joc told me the "first wire" was bad Karma :flipoff2:

Don't want to be branded as flasher-obsessed, but I finally got an email back from Trico and want to get the last word on record here. Quote:
"Use an EL12, EP50 or EP37, which should be available from Napa stores. These are two terminal flashers with no lamp outage feature (fast flash) but will handle 10 (EL12) to 20 bulbs (EP50). EP50 is our most heavy duty unit. It is non-polar, and should plug into your application in two different orientations. One of these orientations will work, the other will not. Just plug it in both ways and leave it in the position that works. Regards, Trico Technical"

BTW, the EP 36 (three terminal) I'm using now, though rated at 3 turn/6 flash, is firing 5 turn/10 flash with no problem. I will resist the urge to upgrade...
BigMac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom