Trailer Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Trailer Tech' started by Mike S, May 14, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S

As I near completion of my M416 type trailer, I am looking for a stabilizer jack arrangement for the rear of the trailer.

I have a demountable front tongue jack, 38 gallon watertank under the bed, and dual 105 AH deep draw batteries, pump, charger, and invertor in a tongue tool box. I should balance out right according to my calculations.

I would like to install a swing down or detachable stabilizer for the rear, so that additional weight on the tail gate won't cause problems.

Suggestions??
  2. woody

woody the internet is just a fad... Staff Member

check those jacks used on the back of RV-trailers...scissors style with a LONG throw.
  3. jenna

jenna

My husband is going to drive our 1987 FJ60 from CA to NC next week. We were thinking about buying a trailer - but we do not know about the weight and how much it can pull, we were hoping around 5000 lbs. He also has a 3 inch heavy duty lift kit with greasable shackles on the the cruiser . Please Advise:cheers.
    Thanks Jenna
  4. Niner

Niner

[quote author=jenna link=board=14;threadid=16376;start=msg157787#msg157787 date=1084668053]
    My husband is going to drive our 1987 FJ60 from CA to NC next week. We were thinking about buying a trailer - but we do not know about the weight and how much it can pull, we were hoping around 5000 lbs. He also has a 3 inch heavy duty lift kit with greasable shackles on the the cruiser . Please Advise:cheers.
    Thanks Jenna
    [/quote]

I personnally would make sure that the trailer has brakes if going that far with that much weight. The mountains can be hell on brakes.
  5. woody

woody the internet is just a fad... Staff Member

60-series is "I think" max rated for 3500# towing. A single axle trailer, and as niner said, electric brakes definitely. I towed thru Denver with my motorhome and trailer (16,000# total weight) and while driving from West to East is easier on brakes than the East to West drive, it's still a bugger...brakes on the trailer are a must for mountains.

I think we just hijacked Mike's thread...lol
  6. Mike S

Mike S

Was this my thread??

BTW - 3500 lbs is the rating according to the literature I have on the 60. I would hesitate to tow much over that - not likely to break anything, tho' - including speed limits ;)

Mike S