Trailer Socket Changeover Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever seen one of these switches? It's a switch to bypass the truck's rear turn signals and use only the trailer's turn signal lights - presumably to ease the load on a standard flasher.

Thanks
2007-02-02-Document-01.gif

The FJ25 and early FJ40 (63/64?) had a trailer socket that was the same as the early military vehicles but no switch. That was only a three wire plus a ground. Until the 80 series I haven't seen anything again factory on a Land Cruiser in this country. That doesn't mean that they didn't have any just I haven't seen any. What is this the wiring diagram from?

John

That's on the so-called 1971 diagram. It would be fun to actually see a switch. I've never heard of anybody having one.

According to info I have, the trailer socket changeover switch, part #82940-65011, was an option on BJ40, 42, 43, 46, along with FJ40, and 43, from August 1980 until October 1985. I'm sure it existed in earlier vehicle too. The switch also may require a mounting bracket (listed for only August '80 until March '81), part #82954-60010.

The diagram is from a 68-82 Haynes ARM. The switch appears, in one form or another, in wiring digrams from pre-1972 to 1975 (non-USA) "onwards". Although it seems to disapear in 1976+ diagrams. It's also shown in the Gregory's Service and Repair Manual.

It does seem that it was only in pre-1972 or non-USA options.

I'm considering wiring in for a trailer and though it might be handy to throw in the loop for the switch in case I ever come across one.

The 1963 FJ25 parts book shows fog lights and backup light . The fog light is still a good part number and can be orderd. The backup light is a dead number. But the wiring diagram doesn't show either, so it's anybodies guess as to how they were wired. Like I said there were a few FJ40s that had the factory trailer socket but never seen a switch. Besides the flasher the switch would help with the low amp output generator. Even the late sixties FJ40s with the alt. the lights get dim at idle when running the factory heater not to mention the speed of the blowers.

John

Based on the part number, 82940, from Henry, thank you, it appears on the EPC as a simple toggle located next to the actual trailer plug. Is this the best place for an electrical switch?
EPC for Windows98 copy.gif

Hi,
I'm a first timer to this site, so I don't really know my around yet.
My husband and I own a 1985 BJ60.We are currently looking for another Landcruiser for myself.Thinking we may import from Japan.I was reading that the 15 year rule may change to 25 years.What are your views on part accessability and such?Thniking about a RHD.:cheers: :princess:

I wouldn't locate a switch outside the vehicle. I would mount the switch on the dash and run two sets of wiring to the back one for the factory lights and one for the trailer socket. You might remember to switch it if it was by the trailer socket but it would make it eazy for someone else to turn your tail lights off while not using a trailer. So are these good part nember? How about part #82951 bracket? This the same style socket as early military vehicles and can be found pretty cheap but I haven't found a military bracket close to this one. It is real close to the FJ25 tail light brackets which is no longer available.

John

I wouldn't really consider mounting the switch outside either. I thought it was pretty crazy when I saw it on the EPC. Not sure where I'd locate the switch on th dash since there is really no "stock" location for it (maybe underneath or the pocket next to the inspection socket). Also considered mounting it in wheel well top near where the wire for the side marker light comes through.

It's a simple DPDT switch. Waytek carries these in water proof versions. They are o-ring sealed and you can get a rubber boot to go over the toggle.

www.waytekwire.com

Part #44266 (1/4" spade connections)
Part #44265 (screw connections)

Part #44214 for rubber boot

Nope, never seen one in person.

FWIW, it's also shown in the 1968 issue parts book, to fit all 40,42,43:
socket 82910-60010
82910-60020

socket bracket 82951-90310

switch 82940-65010

switch bracket 82954-60010

Reference in 1977 Repair Manual

Diggin' deeeep to revive this topic.

Maybe someone will respond, probably not, but I was reading through my 1977 Chassis and Body Repair Manual and I found a reference to this switch and I was curious.

I found the reference in the electrical diagram (after I looked for it after reading this thread) and I found a drawing of the switch itself and to me it really looks like the switch would be located in the dash. It seems to have the same bezel (right word?) shape as the older turn signal/brake display lights.

I should also add, that the electrical diagram is titled
"LAND CLUISER (FJ40, 43, 45) ELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAM (Except U.S.A & CANADA)"

(I did not mispell CRUISER, that is actually how it is spelled on the diagram...thought it was funny so I left it.)

So maybe this was only an Aussie thing. :hmm:
Trailer Socket Switch 1977.jpg
Trailer Socket Switch 1977 Diagram.jpg

The pic in Post #7 clearly shows the change over switch bolts to the SIDE of the trailer socket.

In your pic of the switch (which I had never seen before) I see something else a bit odd. Where would the two wires with the ring terminals actually attach? To the back of the trailer socket? Those two wires would be left and right turn/brake wires.

I included a pic posted (I think) by Living in the Past that shows the front of a trailer socket on an FJ25. I originally posted what I thought was the back of this pic but turned out it wasn't. There is no place under the dash I'm aware of that would allow ring terminal connections of those two wires. So the back of the trailer socket must have had a place to connect those two wires.

Almost every rear harness I have worked on has the wires for the switch/trailer socket. Included a pic of the "loop wiring" on a 1970 FJ40 as an example.
IMG_3757.jpg
Img_0333.jpg

Last edited:
The Whole Pic

Thanks for the reply Coolerman; didn't think I would get one.

I understand that the switch in Post #7 is on the side of the socket, but I was not sure of the date of that reference. I thought that maybe by 1977 they found that the swich on the outside was a bad idea so they moved it into the cab. Most references that I have seen of the dashes do have blanks in them so it is not unreasonable that this would be one of the switches that could fill the hole.

In my previous post I did not include the whole page as I was just showing the switch, but there is one whole page dedicated to this switch and it shows where all of the wires are to connect.

It is really weird, because this is the only reference to this swich and there is no explanation at all. Just this one page out of the blue.

I have the complete PDF manual if you would like a copy.
Page 12-13  from Chassis and Body 1977.jpg

I was just thinking, I also have two older paper copy repair manuals, early 70's, at home that I will have to take a look at when I get home. Won't be back there until Monday though.

P.S. Thanks for the pics too!

I included a pic posted (I think) by Living in the Past that shows the back of a trailer socket on an early FJ40 and there is no place to attach ring terminals. Maybe the socket was different with the switch option? There is no place under the dash either that would allow ring terminal connections of those two wires.

I hope I didn't post that picture and said it was a trailer light socket. That is the back of a tail light bracket on a FJ25. The bracket attached to the bottom of the tub instead of the end of the frame.

Ooops! :eek:

Had those pics in my FJ25 folder and ASSUMED the first pic I posted was the back of the current one. I am also ASSUMING that the trailer plug shown in the new pic is in fact a Toyota OEM and not some aftermarket unit. ;)

Fixed my post. IDAVE surely you have a pic somewhere showing the back of one?

Ooops! :eek:

Had those pics in my FJ25 folder and ASSUMED the first pic I posted was the back of the current one. I am also ASSUMING that the trailer plug shown in the new pic is in fact a Toyota OEM and not some aftermarket unit. ;)

Fixed my post. IDAVE surely you have a pic somewhere showing the back of one?

The OEM trailer plug is the same as the one used years ago by the US military. The picture you posted now may be my FJ25. As for IDAVE he hasn't posted on mud in six months. I just happened to be around my FJ25 with the OEM trailer plug and could get a picture of back.

FYI the trailer socket is easy to find it's the mounting bracket that's rare. I picked up a couple of extra plugs out of a military surplus store years ago for $20 a piece. I also have picked the correct trailer plug to use with trailer socket. I doubt I will ever find the correct Toyota trailer and will have to settle with my WWII MBT quarter ton trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom