Trailer hitch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all
Just doing some thinking on teh issue of trailer hitches. Currently I have the stock style hitch on my truck. this has drop brackets that go to a tie bar that the receiver mounts under the tie bar making it about 7" below the rear bumper at its lowest point.
I was thinking about cutting it apart and removing a section out of the crossmembermoving the receiver bracket up in the crossmemeber and mounting the whole assembly in between the rear frame rails and removing a section of the rear crossmember for the receiver hitch to stick out through. I know this is not a great explanation so I tried to draw a little picture.
the picture kind of shows what I am talking about the only iwwue is the two side braces on the rails to rear crossmember these would have to be cut out but I would then have a pretty stout peice of steel back there.
can anyone see any inherent design flaws or does this look ok?
thanks isn advance for your opinions, and yes I would love to buy the 4+ or slee rear bumpers but am moving at the end of the month and cash is a little tight.
Dave :beer:

By the way no mocking my art skills..

I was thinking about cutting it apart and removing a section out of the crossmembermoving the receiver bracket up in the crossmemeber and mounting the whole assembly in between the rear frame rails and removing a section of the rear crossmember for the receiver hitch to stick out through. Dave :beer:

It seems to me that would likely weaken the rear crossmember. Why not just shore up the rear crossmember and run a pintle ball ???

I was thinking along the same lines with my Reese receiver. I'm going to cut out just enough to mount the angled parts on top of the frame rails instead of below. then I'll use the crossbar for the base for the new bumper when I cut all the old stuff out and tuck it in a little. The reciever hole should come out about where the pintle hitch is now but back about 3".

moralien,
technically the pintle hook style adapters are only rated to about 1500#, when I do haul a trailer it is anywhere form 1500# to 3000#, so the pintle hook is not a greta option.
Gumby,
sounds like I am not the first to think of this if all goes as planned I should have the receiver post coming through the crossmember right about 4" above the lower edge of the cross member right in the middle of the pintle hook adapter.
In looking at my own design my main concern is could I mount the receiver between the rails and bolt through teh side (ie vertical) of the frame rails instead of the bottom(ie horizontal) of the frame rails.
keep the thoughts coming
Dave

Interesting, my pintle is rated at 12,000 lbs. :dunno:

PHAEDRUS,

The only problem I see with your design is what about the pin to hold your reciever? If you left enough sticking out to put it through from the outside, then you could ram your knees or your......depending upon your height and lift :D
Unless you put the pin on the backside of the bumper, but if you need to pull it often it could be kind of a pain. I pull mine out when not in use, because squeezing between the garage door closed and after a few :beer: it can kind of smart.

Yomama

Yo, Yo,

I didn't think about the pin, buy I don't really pull mine enough to have a problem reaching under the bumper to pull it out. I need to buy a reciever for my pintle, but I would leave it in. My rig doesn't fit in my garage and i really enjoy when I get rear ended and the pintle crashes through the center of their grill. :D

I also have found the hole gets all crudded up when I don't have a well anti-siezed hitch in there.

thanks gumby,
it was supposed to be a tire....... oh that was sarcasm?
as far as the post hole I had planned to have it recessed behind the rear crossmember, however I am not sure if I will have room to do it there. worst case scenario I have to let it hang out of the rear 3". this sounds much better than under the bumper by 7"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom