Trail Gear Requirements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coreyshawn.com
Hey, everyone. This will be a central place for all gear related talk. I'll update this thread with a final list once we all have come to a conclusion. The general idea is to get everyone's thoughts on what should be mandatory gear on all club runs and what will be recommended optional equipment. Some things may have to be altered depending on the type and length of a specific run, but for the most part if you have what's here, you should be good to go.

As a general rule of thumb for all runs. It is expected that your vehicle be in good running condition and well maintained. (No major leaks or mechanical issues)

Now I know I'm going to forget some things but let's get started:

General Wheeling - 1 - 3 days, usually over a long weekend, includes light trail riding and good camping. Damage risk is minimal and no experience is required.

Mandatory gear:

- 4x4 capable truck/SUV
- 1 spare tire
- Recovery strap. (Anything over 18,000 that's 3' x 25' will typically be good enough, obviously think about your own vehicle and weight plus how stuck you plan on getting)
- Tree saver if you have a winch. (this is a VERY important one)
- 2 clevises (I believe the ones we use are 3/4 inch, correct me if I'm wrong)
- Recovery points front and rear. (This can be as simple as a hitch/receiver and front tie downs, but don't complain when it gets ripped off)

Recommended gear:

- Vehicle armour (front bumper, rear bumper, sliders, skid plates)
- Tires 33''
- Winch
- Jack-all
- Auxiliary lighting
- Limited slip differential
- CB Radio
- Onboard air
- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher

Advanced Wheeling - 1 - 3 days, usually over a long weekend, includes heavy trail riding and long days of wheeling, camping is very remote. Damage risk is likely and experience is needed.
**Note: All winter wheeling will fall under this category**

Mandatory gear:

- 4x4 capable truck/SUV
- 20L extra fuel
- 1 spare tire
- Onboard air
- Recovery strap
- Tree saver
- Winch
- 2 clevises
- Recovery points front and rear (welded aftermarket frame connected)
- Front bumper
- Jack-all
- Limited slip differential
- CB/HF/VHF radio

Recommended gear:

- Tires 37''
- Extra fuel
- Vehicle armour
- Auxiliary lighting
- Locking rear differential
- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher

Expedition Wheeling - 1 - 2 weeks, this will include a travel itinerary and scheduled wheeling days. Trails may vary from simple to extreme. Experience with the club, your vehicle and knowledge of off-roading is a must.

Mandatory gear:

- 4x4 capable truck/SUV
- Tires minimum 35 inches in good condition
- 1 spare tire
- 40L extra fuel
- Onboard air
- Recovery strap
- Tree saver
- Winch
- Snatch block
- Winch recovery anchor
- Jack-all
- 2 clevises
- Frame recovery points
- Vehicle armour (Front and rear bumpers, skid plates and sliders)
- Locking rear differential
- Auxiliary lighting
- HM/VHF Radio
- First Aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- All fluids for one complete fluid change.
- Oil filter

Recommended gear:

- More armour?
- Tires 37''+
- Locking front differential
- Spare parts
- Extra spare tire
- Fridge

Well that's all I can come up with for now. Let me know your thoughts and what you would like to see/change, all input is welcome!

As a side note to everyone, I would like to emphasize good communication on the trail, and the best way to do that is through radio! Now CBs are nice, when you're only 50 feet away, but what I'd like to see is everyone with a HF/VHF radio on the 2 meter band. It's a far superior method and is widely used throughout the off-road community as well as with emergency services. Here is a link to some entry level options, handhelds. If there is enough interest in Amatur radio I could make a separate post detailing the subject and radio options.

Last edited:
Well done Utopoo. This list is pretty comprehensive and I agree with it. Its well thought out and easy to follow. I'm going to make sure I have this equipment on board any time I wheel. It just makes sense.

I like the list. Good job Corey. I think the min tire size should only be applicable on the expedition runs. Many of you as well as myself have either experienced or seen people on smaller tires perform without issue on 33s. I don't want us to start losing our roots here. Some people are just getting into wheeling. And the smaller tires will teach people faster then anything driver skill.

And depending on the expedition most of us will be sorted out collectively for the expedition.

Any vehicle specific small parts that could save the day, I'm thinking 80 series fusible links off the hop, or at least the parts to get around the issue. ( fuse holder, fuses, wire, soldering iron and shrink wrap). Depends alot on the truck. Consider your set up, what could leave you stranded? Valve stems? Plug kit? Can of ether? (sorry, cold diesels, and unseated beads, its time to wake up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom