TPS testing question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I've got a '89 62 basically all stock. I went out to test my TPS due to code 51 and just to make sure it's all in adjustment. I just want to make sure I read the diagnostic procedure correct on which terminals to test. There are 4 terminals on the TPS, the bottom 2 are supposed to be the ones that are to have continuity, correct? When those are tested, and the throttle plate is moved, the resistance is supposed to increase from what I understand, correct? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm not getting a dang thing between those 2 terminals at any throttle position (open or closed). So I'm just running it by you guys to make sure that's correct before I start ordering a TPS.

Thanks

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just had my throttle body off to clean and replace gasket. Now is a great time to also adjust TPS and tighten throttle linkage. If you have completely removed it from the TB like I did make sure it is re-installed with the springs resisting the throttle plate opening, (so it opens up the circuits on the TPS). It think is it possible to install this incorrectly and not have the pins from the throttle not engage the TPS. This is one job that is much easier with an extra set of hands, one to hold feeler gauges and the other to rotate and tighten the screws on the TPS while a third set works the ohm meter.

Thanks, I read all that all ready but confused myself because I was a little rushed for time. Once the rain stops here, I'll go back out there and piddle with it.

Hey folks,

I've got a '89 62 basically all stock. I went out to test my TPS due to code 51 and just to make sure it's all in adjustment. I just want to make sure I read the diagnostic procedure correct on which terminals to test. There are 4 terminals on the TPS, the bottom 2 are supposed to be the ones that are to have continuity, correct? When those are tested, and the throttle plate is moved, the resistance is supposed to increase from what I understand, correct? Reason I'm asking, is because I'm not getting a dang thing between those 2 terminals at any throttle position (open or closed). So I'm just running it by you guys to make sure that's correct before I start ordering a TPS.

Thanks
I'm troubleshooting an 88 FJ62 and see my TPS test results are same as yours between IDL and E2, did you ever come to a conclusion?

Hey, I’m sorry for the delay, I’m not on here much anymore. I honestly don’t remember what I came up with since it’s been so long. I do know I haven’t had the issues anymore of codes setting. I had multiple codes and fixed those issues (O2 sensors) and never got a code 51 since. I think I do remember loosening it and adjusting it to read correct but I truthfully can’t remember. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom