Toyota PTO Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does any one have the spec from Toyota on which oil to use in the mechanical winch , and PTO ?
I assume that the PTO , must be same as gearbox.
but I am very uncertain with the bronze worm gear in the mech. winch .

thanks for any good advise .

bye Renago

INSTALL DRAIN PLUG AND FILL WINCH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Fluid grade: ATF DEXRON II
Capacity: 200 cc (12.2 cu in.)
Torque: 175 kg-em (13 ft-Ib, 17 N ·m)

Pulled from my FSM

Hi mudder , is this info on using Dexron II , from Toyota or from your personal experience ?

rgs Renago

As stated at the bottom pulled from my FSM

Factory service manual.

Mechanical is GEAR OIL
Electric is ATF

winch 1.JPG
winch2.JPG

Huh, I'll have to save that. My FSM (downloaded from the internet) didn't have that page. Just said atf then went to the next section.

Although ATF would be fine for a lube in a pinch if on the trail for a bit, gear oil is the best long term as per Toyota. AFT will do a good of cleaning out a gear box but would need to be flushed out with gear oil. Not much it can do in damage if any for a shot time unless your seals were bad.

love2fly

Last edited:
Excellent add on

The pto unit on the transfercase shares the oil with it. The Winch has its own. Do not use any ATF or gear oil that is used for the diffs or transfer case for the worm gear in the winch housing. It doesn't work with the bronze gear. I used it once and it nearly destroyed the worm gear. You need to use a proper gear oil for bronze gears. I use Retuctelf 680.....
http://www.onshoreoils.com.au/uploads/custom/REDUCTELF SP 100_ps.pdf

Cannot find any compatibles for this type of oil "Retuctelf 680" ?? May have a different name in the states.
This is what a 1983 owners manual states for the winch case/gear oil for non electric and electric.

pto oil.JPG

GL4 is what I used no problems so far.

Thanks

are people using GL4 oil , using interselvly also the winch ?

having any oil in with out use ior just seldom is easy.

are people using GL4 oil , using interselvly also the winch ?

having any oil in with out use ior just seldom is easy.

Well if you read that sheet from the manual it specs 90 wt GL4 and again GL4s are typically yellow metals compatible where as GL5s can degrade.

Although, I don't have an actual answer to what I THINK you're asking. Just my opinion as a mechanic.

Is this what you meant?

Are the people running GL4 oil also intensively using the winch?
Having any oil in a winch and only seldom using that winch doesn't prove much.

the mechanical winch from Toyota has only 500 cc and can pull really hard for a long time .
if we use the winch only to pull the truck out of a ditch , I believe any oil will due the job .
short working time , low pressure .
but , if we use the winch hard , the truck is down in the mud , fully charged on an expedition 3000-3500 kg , the pull is long , say 3 min or so .
maybe rather often in a day .
long working time ,high pressure.
in this cases I think the oil is of vital importance .
I respect the GL4 choice,
will the Retuchtelf 680 be better ?

personally I would go for elf 680 .

bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom