Toyo M/T again worn after 25'000miles! Need better tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok... this is now my 2nd set of Toyo Open Country M/T (first was Made in USA, set now Made in Japan) and again they wear down so fast, it hurts every time I take a look after a day of driving!
They won't make more then 25'000miles and I don't really like to use the thread so much on those bad roads down here in south america with my almost 4tons of car weight!
I love how strong they are, but I can't afford anymore to get every 25'000miles new tires! The lugs are also starting to BREAK OFF on the rear tires, right at the 90degree edge where the lug starts
Yes, my alignment was checked several times. I also have this right pull, but I somehow got used too although I must admit, it's not nice..
I still have 8 months of south america traveling and will see some bad muddy areas in the Amazon and also a good amount of paved roads on the last part before going home. In Europe it will rather see lots of paved , WET roads I must admit. Also snow.
So what do you guys recommend? I want a STRONG tires, I have LOTS of weight and this was always a plus for me. I only have 1 spare tire.
I will also have to see what kind of tires I can get down here, the selection is very limited!
I know BFG M/T are available in my 285/75R16 size.
Oh and I need Load Range E for my 3.8-3.9tons!
Car is a 1993 HZJ75. More infos on our blog: http://www.pawsontour.com/iea/english-version/car---equipment/car---equipment.html

Thank you for your inputs!

I just found out that I can get Maxxis Bighorn for 190$ in Peru, Mickey Thomson Baja MTZ for about 380$ (!!!), BFG MT in Bolivia for 260$, Hancook MT for 270$ and Toyo's are very rare in Bolivia.
So I guess those are the 4 tires I can choose from... what are your opinions?

Oh, by the way, I never drive faster than 80kmh (50mph)!! Usually around 60-70kmh, the fast wearing of the Toyo's are not speed related. And on the rear (can't adjust any geometry) they wear much faster than the front ones due to weight I guess. I rotate them every 5000-7000miles.

the previous set of Toyos you had ... they hold more with the same weight and road conditions ..

gotta admin IMHO Toyos are the best tire out there .. and my actual set it's Jap made with excellent results .. altho not neat your weight in my 80 ..

david, no, previous toyos also only hold that much. i was lucky and could sell them with 30% thread in panama and bought new ones since tires are more expensive in south america. the ones now look more destroyed but roads down here are really bad with lots of rocks! i have lots of missing lugs on rear left and nylon cloth is sticking out although still have 6mm left!
just found this bfg vs toyo. means i would kill the bfg at same speed.

https://familyinafrica.wordpress.co...nd-destination-review-london-to-johannesburg/

how strong are the maxxis? price is really tempting!

The Toyo's don't seem to like my weight too well or at least I would expect little bit more life from them (50-60'000km). And since the Toyo's seem to be rare in Bolivia (Chile & Argentina are too expensive for tires) I found this 4 other tire options.
The rocky roads in Peru really killed them quick with our weight. We drove 80% on unpaved roads in Peru and we do like to do some 4x4 stuff that really eats tires with our 3.8tons!
Although, from California to Panama they also lost 70% of their tread and the roads in Central were muddy and paved and had few sharp rocks.
I had 6 flats so far, but always nails and screws on the rear tires (never front tires!) I guess the weight really makes every nail go into any type of tire! Yesterday just pulled a 3" nail out of the rear tire and 2 weeks ago a wood screw on the other rear tire.

So the question is if the BFG or Hancook is so much stronger and in mud & wear than the Maxxis to be about 300-350$ more expensive for 5 tires?

Nitto Trails? They seem very stout. FJC guys are getting well over 50K out of them

Hi all,

Interesting thread. I have heard of tires that have "hard" or "soft" rubber. Soft rubber performs better off-road, hard rubber lasts more miles. I would assume that you will need to make a judgement as to which way you are willing to compromise on tires for your HJ75 long-range expo vehicle.

Regards,

Alan

Have you looked into the Toyo M55? They are normally listed under "commercial traction" and are used on a lot of heavy fleet vehicles that need good traction and longevity. Availability might be an issue and they are expensive but almost everything I have heard about them is good, especially longevity with heavier trucks. If you really need the longevity and durability the extra cost might be worth it.

Couple guys went with Creppy Crawlers years ago .. they were rock solid ( in light 70 series and J**ps ) when I said rock solid I said they were like rock .. comparable to Toyos or more ..

That wasn't good characteristic for them back in they ..almost no aire pressure and no deformation ..

Those are cheap tires here .. but no one like them anymore coz of that .. but maybe are an option for you ..

MAXXIS-CREEPY-6.jpg

guys, it's nice to discuss other tires, BUT I don't think I can get them! Tire availability is VERY slim down here! In Chile it's better, but it's too expensive. Argentina as said also too expensive, especially after the put this import stop now!
So just leaves me with Peru & Bolivia that I visit afterwards to do an Amazon loop with lots of mud and they have the tires I posted above.

Here a pic of the rear right tire, has a few broken off lugs on the side and on one spot some nylon sticking out of a cut. I will change it soon with the spare tire.Got about 5-6mm left on this tire.
Got now 17'600miles on the Toyo's. (corrected for the 5th extra spare wheel I include in rotation)

ToyoMT.jpg

just saw that the Bighorns 285/75R16 are only Load Range D, not E! I guess that's too low for my car?? Everyone told me so far to only get E!?

Your tire looks like it spent its life in a hard rock mine.

I can't imagine a 75 series being loaded enough to require a load range E tire. There is not that much difference D or E.

not loaded enough but doesn't mean a Load Range E tire also a stronger sidewall than a Load Range D?

guys, it's nice to discuss other tires, BUT I don't think I can get them! Tire availability is VERY slim down here! In Chile it's better, but it's too expensive. Argentina as said also too expensive, especially after the put this import stop now!
So just leaves me with Peru & Bolivia that I visit afterwards to do an Amazon loop with lots of mud and they have the tires I posted above.
I suggested the Toyo M55 even though it wasn't on your list since you only seem to have mud terrain tires on it. Have you looked at non-mud terrain availability? There might be some other options that work well in an all-terrain. You will lose some mud performance, but from the looks of that tire, you need rock/gravel performance at least as much as mud performance.

E load range is inflated to higher pressure than D. This often means a stiffer side wall, especially if inflated to its limit. Whether it is stronger or not depends on the situation.

It doesn't look like sidewall failiure is your main problem.

not loaded enough but doesn't mean a Load Range E tire also a stronger sidewall than a Load Range D?

If you're pushing the weight you mentioned above, I would definitely stay with E rated. I run E rated tires on my 100 and did when it was stock even with no harshness or issues, and you're right they're tougher tires. Granted mine are Duratracs so they're a bit more comfortable than a true MT tire, but still I would stick with E rated for your usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom