Torque wrench, click vs dial

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by Cdaniel, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Cdaniel

Cdaniel Undocumented Mechanic SILVER Star

Inch pound torque wrench, looking for a better one than my Craftsman clicker. Don't like the locking ring adjuster.

Are dial versions supposed to be more accurate than click?
  2. yoopercharged

yoopercharged SILVER Star

yes, and they don't need to be recalibrated either. I bought a nice used snap on (probably vintage) dial 1/4" that I picked up on ebay fairly cheap ($30 IIRC).
  3. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

Why would they not require calibration? The dial torque wrenches are susceptible to the same handling and issues that click type wrenches are.

Neither is any more or less accurate than the other simply by design. Often times it boils down to preference. Same applies with beam torque wrenches although I've never seen how they are calibrated.
  4. Cdaniel

5. woody

woody the internet is just a fad... Staff Member

6. KLF

KLF Frame waxer

We have one here in the shop, we mostly just use it to check the calibration of our wrenches. We had it checked when we bought it and it was amazingly accurate for the price.

[​IMG]
  7. yoopercharged

yoopercharged SILVER Star

Torque wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Of course you won't be able to read this tomorrow when wiki is down. A dial or beam type is inherently more accurate. They are also simpler. The clicking type are generally less accurate, and have springs/clutches that can wear if not maintained correctly.

The dial type should ideally be calibrated, but there is very little to wear or change, that would affect torque readings.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

as been said .. if you are working in bench comfortable position dial are great .. I have both and use the click ones while working in more odd positions ..

Mine it's a Husky .. been working quite well ..
  9. Cdaniel