TOPO Maps - Software (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You pick and choose, you can also import them from outside sources.

Has Gaia allowed support from the app to select the USFS Maps within the app or do you have to load them in manually?

Then to be super nerdy with my Nexus 9 tablet I can run split screen with Android 7.0 and have APRSdroid and BCNV up and running.

Screenshot_20160916-133920.png

Screenshot_20160906-085510.png

Screenshot_20160916-133627.png

It's within the map. USFS Raster as well as a couple others from Cal Topo.

You can also upload motor vehicle use maps from national forests that have them published online (typically those which have already passed their travel management processes).

Has Gaia allowed support from the app to select the USFS Maps within the app or do you have to load them in manually?

Topos available for the US -
USGS
USFS
Cal Topo
Vector topo

For any of the maps above you just highlight the area (big or small) you can also adjust the available zoom for needed level of detail to control file size. Along any of Gaia maps you can DL the aerial view that can be overlayed on top of each other. It nice to DL both the aerial and the topo together on an area of exploration so when you come across a road that is not numbered or does not show up on your topo map you view where it goes using the aerial view.

Having used Gaia for years and logged 10 of thousands of miles the only complaint I have is they suspended their phone support. Now they only do email support that is slow, making it a problem when on the road with limited cell service.

Man this looks good. I bought Gaia for my Android headunit in my 80. It doesn't have much internal memory but it does have a "GPS" labeled slot which is an micro SD. Is there a way to download the areas/maps you want on a PC and load them onto an SD card or does Gaia need the navigation device need to have an internet connection when downloading the maps?

Man this looks good. I bought Gaia for my Android headunit in my 80. It doesn't have much internal memory but it does have a "GPS" labeled slot which is an micro SD. Is there a way to download the areas/maps you want on a PC and load them onto an SD card or does Gaia need the navigation device need to have an internet connection when downloading the maps?

Yes, you can load maps onto an SD card and then use it that way.

I would email them for the exact procedure; they're usually great about getting back to you.

You need to change the Root directly to the SD card the instruction are on Gaia web site in FAQ. I along with other could not get it to work. If you have better luck post your technic up.

Good info in this thread. I have an elk hunt in Unit 23 (Young area) in December, and even though I know the area pretty well, I still primarily use paper or laminated maps.

I have been trying GAIA and like it a lot for my area and what I use it for.

Also purchased HEMA but am waiting for some updates as the heading gauge doesn't work.

Both look the be the same in the actual software build but I am interested in trying the HEMA again soon to try and map out some potential camping spots I think I found.

+1 for GAIA. I've used it frequently in the PNW to find trails (hiking and 4x4) and camp spots. It's easy to make routes using their GAIA TOPO overlay or their OpenHikingMap. I started by downloading the USGS overlay on iPad and iPhone and importing class III & IV tracks from the Oregon OHV interweb. Then I found huntca's tracks and imported a few of those. Then I made my own. I'll pick a route and just check it out. The app works great and I find I use it on my iPhone more than iPad (Gen 3). I think I may upgrade to iPad Mini 2-4. I've found that USGS overlay shows borders the others do not, i.e. NF borders, Wilderness area, etc. But the OpenHikingMap has the most up-to-date trails and does a better job of identifying improved, unimproved, 4x4 roads, and hiking trails.
My only complaint is it is difficult to hide routes when you don't want them on the computer/web version. App version is easy but I typically do my planning/map reconnaissance on the bigger screen. Oh, and the imagery overlay sucks but I don't really care about that one.

Been using Gaia for about two years now (first track I recorded is dated 11/1/14) and it's been pretty darn good. Curious to check out the HEMA option, but since I already have Gaia, I've not really found the need.

I do volunteer work for Tonto National Forest, so quite a bit of it has been there (nearly 1,600 miles of dirt since April of this year alone). Maybe I need to focus on getting out more? :hillbilly:

22 months worth of tracks in AZ:
View attachment 1322350
Hi,
I've been looks ng at that system, does it cost to get maps with them? And if so, how much are they?

Thank you
Steve

Hi,
I've been looks ng at that system, does it cost to get maps with them? And if so, how much are they?

Thank you
Steve

Gaia is $19.99 in the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store, there is a little bit of a learning curve to downloading them, but they have both free and paid options.

For my use, the free maps have been fine.

I have 3 tablet based ones and always carry paper just in case.

1. Scenic Maps, the least used but robust one, takes a lot of memory and maps miss a lot of roads. But elevation and location very accurate.
  2. Gaia GPS, the best one for flexibility, tracking, publishing. You have to download the map area you need to operate in, otherwise easy to use and learn. Great track statistics too.
  3. Avenza PDF map, many entities starting to use them. I use them for the Trails Illlustrated NatGeo maps, they are awesome info maps and with Avenza you can track as well, add waypoints, and work perfectly offline. I am a fan of those for hiking trails, waterfall locations, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom