Tools needed for A/C refresh? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Its that time of year and I'm starting to wonder if I could get my A/C system working again. I'd like to refresh the system using some instructions from some of the many, many threads here that discuss doing the job. HOWEVER, I'm coming up short on which tools are needed.

The manifold gauges and the vacuum pump are what is slowing me down. Are these rentable? How much do I need to spend if I buy? Any particular requirements when doing this on an 80. I've seen prices ranging from $20 to $200 for both items. Of course I'd rather spend 20 but I also want this to work.

What are the gauges people are using and if anyone wants to rent their gauges in western ma; send a PM!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-- Beej

im in the same boat as you, I have a slow leak somewhere and end up spending $90 every summer to recharge. Its getting old real quick. Now that theres a heat wave here in the NE, wish I could just do it myself. No AC is killing me!

@PZLCruiser if you want to get together and knock this out for both trucks, I'll go halfsies on a set of gauges with you and you can keep them if you'll drive up to South Hadley. Or I would do the same deal the other way around if you'd prefer I do the travel.

i know gauges are for rent from autozone, and I believe a vacuum pump is as well. harbor freight also sells them....

@lazy yes, ok. Thank you. I did a google search for rental but came up empty. Seems like in a/C threads guys had their own gauges.

The harbor freight vacuum pump (not the one that hooks to your air compressor) should work alright. A decent set of manifold gauges isn't too expensive. Remember that if your system has been dry (no refrigerant) you'll need a new reciever/drier. If you open the system you should replace that anyway. A good time to replace the expansion valve which I have to do at some point. Make sure you have o-rings on hand also. And as always, consult the under hood stickers or FSM or the proper amount of refrigerant.

I don't mind paying for a "decent set of" x. But for those tools that are basically one time use I prefer to rent. Thanks for the reminder about o-rings

@PZLCruiser if you want to get together and knock this out for both trucks, I'll go halfsies on a set of gauges with you and you can keep them if you'll drive up to South Hadley. Or I would do the same deal the other way around if you'd prefer I do the travel.

hmmm, thing that sucks is that im driving up to cape cod tomorrow for the week so i need to make moves fast. Wish I had the time but am just going to bite the bullet and pay to have it done locally. Appreciate the offer! None the less I will need to be better prepared for next summer.

Hi Beej,

You can walk into any Autozone and 'buy both a vacuum pump and set of high/low pressure gauges' as part of their rental program. You then have 90 days to return them for a full refund. While you are there, you should also buy some pag oil (type 46 I think), a set of o-rings, and a new receiver/dryer (~$40). You should also add some UV dye when you put everything back together, just in case... this will save you a lot of time finding the leak the next time around.

I'm in Boston, and actually have an Autozone vacuum pump at my place right now. My evaporator sprung a very slow leak after I replaced the condenser... so now I don't have AC either.

Hope this helps,
Lee

I bought a manifold set, can tap, adapter off Amazon and a air compressor vacuum pump off Harbor Freight. I think I have less than $100 into it, and I didn't but the cheapest set either. I've already used it several times (my rig and friends rig). Don't be so sure it will only be used once.

As lostadventurer stated, if you are leaking, you'll need to find out where or you'll just be doing this again soon. O-rings are easy to replace, but not always the source. Adding the dye is a good idea just in case you leak in the future. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom