Tools for birff job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
So I have the funds to finally do my birffs and all 4 rotors and I am collecting the tools I will need for the job.

But I have a couple quick questions.
-For the snap ring pliers do I need the internal or external pliers?
-What is the alternate socket size for the Slee 54mm socket?
-Did any of you bother with the fish scale to measure the resistance and can I borrow yours?

I think that's it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOR have a 54 mm socket for about $17.

If you didn't live so damn far away, I'd loan you my 54mm socket and snap ring pliers!

You can pick up a 2 1/8" socket at sears. It is pretty darn close to 54mm. I have used mine a few times and it works great.

I have the socket, snap ring pliers, and fish scale you can borrow. I PM'd you back and can swing by to help out for some Tecate :beer::D

I plan to buy the socket because I should have that anyway but I will take you up on the pliers and fish scale. I am also scanning CL for a torque wrench but there is one for $80 on the Sears site that I will go with unless I find a better used one on CL. I might as well add these tools to my collection.

yes it's the 12b. i'd lend you mine but i might need it at CALICO:grinpimp:. if you were to buy a torque wrench you might as well buy new. i think you have to maintain them things.

the 2 1/8 socket is $32.99 at Sears

I don't recall paying that much. I think it was around $20. Maybe you priced the high end one.

The fishscale method didn't work too well for me

x2

if you were to buy a torque wrench you might as well buy new. i think you have to maintain them things.

Make sure if you get the dial type that you set it back to zero after you're done. Don't store it preset!

Thanks for link teejnut. So you used LT's giggle the washer technique rather than the 43 spins then tighten to 48 etc... technique.

Yep did this... Tighten the inner nut to 45 lbs/ft, rotate, back off and repeat, then just until you feel resistance. Install the lock washer, then torque the outer nut to 45 lbs/ft.

Also, Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters has the socket for $16.50. SOR charges a lot for "freight and handling." I always go there and pick it up whenever I order anything from them. And isn't the Sears 2 1/8" socket 3/4" drive? Just something to keep in mind if you go that route.

IIRC it is an open = loosen type of pliers, but as you can imagine, not the little pin circlip type, they should be the strong flat ended type. This is some serious clip.

I got my 54 off the snap on truck for less than $20. Good to have on the trail I think.

You can get good torque wrenches (CDI, Snap on etc) off eBay for good $ but of course you should do a calibration (no big deal).

Hay Dan, do you have a seal puller and grease gun to go with those snap ring pliers? I went ahead and ordered the hub socket from Curt at C.O.

Cruiser Dan has been on vacation and will be back tomorrow, so I hope to not be too far back on his message list and I get a call back tomorrow to make my order.

Yep, I have both you can use. I will try and get everything together in the next day or two for you. Do you have the bulk pack of paper towels? I think I went through 5 or 6 rolls when I did mine. Definetely a messy job.:cheers:

Lots of brake cleaner too if you don't have a parts washer!!!

Not that it's cheap, but I would highly recommend the industrial size box of disposable gloves. They will save you immeasurable time and aggravation as you move from grease to FSM, to computer, to lunch, to...

I probably went through close to a 100 size box (but I am a bit of a :princess::D)

Lots of brake cleaner too if you don't have a parts washer!!!

I tried to borrow a part washer from a buddy but he returned to a buddy he borrowed it from. But he told me that I can find a tub with a screen that fits in it for taking the parts out of the cleaner with ease. He said it's usually next to the gallon jugs of part cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom