to stupid to buy primer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
All I can do is call this guy Automotive Paint Supplies
And ask for primer,

Its going to be blasted so I was told epoxy primer.

How long can it stay with primer in storage after I blast and prime?

I might not have the $2K for paint for a few months!

go dig it a $4K paint job on a $4K car?
Perhaps I should have my brain examined first was what the blasting guy said.

look for the "?" marks
I dont know if I need a gallon, 4 gallons,
I wanted to undercoat the bottom, do I primer that then undercoat?

And epoxy or etching?
PPG or the other one?

Paint will be a $5000 deal so the research is needed.

I do not trust my local paint shop people.

I feel that he best part of two part epoxy primer is that it sticks to the bare metal and if you topcoat soon after it will bond to that also without sanding/roughing up.
I blasted my MGB's underbody then wiped it down with PickleX 20. That bare metal has not rusted yet after 2 years n the garage.
I will not prime until I am ready to topcoat too.
Home - Picklex 20®

so, $1200 for blasting, $1000 for primer and $2000 for paint wow, more then my car cost. I mean the sad thing it has to be done all at once, I was hoping for stages, but I think I will just to the tub first,

thanks

Depends on how you plan to use the cruiser... Not a show rig, gets branch scratches etc.
You could get a color tint in the epoxy primer, and let that be the end of it.
My neighbor, a semi-retired bodyman, has redone his IH Scout 800 in a matte blue epoxy primer, work in progress. The primer color has grown on him, now there are no plans to topcoat...

that sounds kind of neat. Its going to be a stock looking rig, its an amazing candidate for frame off. Right now I just want a replacement for the 40 year old paint. I guess for money I need to paint this my self at home.

I just went and got PPG paint in safety orange and "Regular" shop brand primer.
I hope this is ok?

And it shall be...very very orange and hopefully safe!

FJ40Snorkel.jpg

I painted my rig in urethane tractor paint.

I agree with the suggestion to just tint some primer and be done with it.

I think a Series 40 painted like that would look amazing.

I'm bored with those overly shiny, 1000 feet deep paint jobs people spend $10k on.

Last edited:
Did you get it finished? FWIW you really need epoxy primer on bare metal and there is a window where you do not need to resand, and if you want to take your time the epoxy will be just fine for a long time but when time to finish with the paint yes you need to scuff it up before painting. You must coat the bare metal promptly or of course you will be sanding again to get off the new surface rust which can appear quite quickly. I recommend the epoxy primer and acrylic urethane single stage.

thanks, I did not finish. the weather has been very wet!
The blaster then will apply something that makes it last 3 days, some kind of coating.
But iv decided epoxy primer and PPG delta or what ever the higher brand is.

acrylic urethane single stage sounds best to me!

I found a local guy with classic cars he has done. He is cheaper, just starting out from a welding shop. So far they just have a large room with that visquen plastic? How ever its spelled. But he did a killer job on the last rig and no runs and we apparently speak the same language. Single stage, Slightly lower then a "High end $5000 job" as far as quality. I buy the materials, PPG DELTA, Epoxy primer, Stock VIN colors (Smurf blue) and I bring the rig blasted free of rust and paint. His last project was $3500 from beginning to end with the client paying for the paints.

Depends on how you plan to use the cruiser... Not a show rig, gets branch scratches etc.
You could get a color tint in the epoxy primer, and let that be the end of it.
My neighbor, a semi-retired bodyman, has redone his IH Scout 800 in a matte blue epoxy primer, work in progress. The primer color has grown on him, now there are no plans to topcoat...

I like this idea! two questions:
1. how long do you think the primer would last without a base coat/clear coat over it?
2. can you epoxy primer over original paint as well as bare metal?
Thanks,
Gil

You will want to scuff it up before new paint. Depending on climate exposure, a garage or cover, the epoxy could last a long time -
I like this idea! two questions:
1. how long do you think the primer would last without a base coat/clear coat over it?
2. can you epoxy primer over original paint as well as bare metal?
Thanks,
Gil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom