To Omaha and Lincoln NE area 80s owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grench

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted this in MudShip - but realized I didn't give much notice.

There are not many of us on here from the Omaha/Lincoln area, but most of them read the 80s section. They don't likely see mudship because nobody ever has here as an origin/destination. Until now.

I ask the mods tolerance - we don't have a local club let alone a local section to post to - and it would be empty if we did.

OK, so here's the deal. I'm taking my FZJ80 to Slee to have it re-geared. No kidding.

This offer is for ih8mud members in the Lincoln, NE and Omaha, NE area. If you're not within 20 miles of either city or right off I80 on the way, don't bother replying to this.

I'll be picking my truck up 11/13 (Friday next week) and will be back on 11/14. I won't have any passengers - and I won't have a lot of gear in there.

So, if you ever wanted to order something from SleeOffRoad but didn't want to pay the UPS shipping for chunks of iron, here's your chance.

I will not handle any money in this. If you want in, you pay Christo up front and ask him to put your stuff in the back of my truck for the trip back instead of shipping it.

I'll be coming through Lincoln on Saturday afternoon on my way to Omaha. I will deliver -only- to the Lincoln and Omaha metro areas.

I will make one attempt on 11/14 to drop the -whatever- off at your place. If you're not there, it goes home with me and you can pick it up at my place within the next week or so.

I figure I have enough room for up to two bumpers, whatever anyone needs for springs & shocks, etc...

I have this listed in MudShip - once enough people have contacted me with what they want me to haul back to where I feel like the truck is going to be getting full, I'll cut it off.

So, who (In Lincoln or Omaha area) wants a free ride for their stuff?

Grench

Your about 6-7 weeks too late for me. I am in Lincoln and had to find a way to get an ARB front bumper and OME lift kit from Slee's to my house in September. Shipping costs are killer on some of this heavy stuff.

Thanks for offering to help others in this way, makes it a great community.

Do you have any parts trucks located in the area?

PM'd you Grench.

Chapman--Where you at in Lincoln? I was trying to find out if there was anyone else in Lincoln besides me on this board. I am trying to PM my new to me truck and need some local advice if you are available. Thanks.

Corn Man,
I am centrally located in Lincoln, what can I help you with?

Chapman: PM'd you. Didn't want to highjack the thread...

Highjack away - IMHO we can use this one thread for our local tech discussions - i.e. figuring out how we're all going to meet up to lend a hand or lend a part or a tool. Who knows - if we find another half dozen of us - doubling the number of owners I'm aware of in the area - maybe we could/should form a club. Until then it doesn't make any sense for us to have our own area. So - one thread might be allowed to slip through with light tech content? Besides, this thread will likely die of it's own accord within a week or so.

Got word from Slee - despite my having done a full axle rebuild on my truck 3 years ago and replacing the axle seals a year ago, the trunnion bearings were shot, the U joints (replaced ~3 years ago as well) are notchy and the axle seals are leaking... you get the idea. It is turning into an expensive trip. But, I have confidence that it will get done right and I don't have time to wrench these days.

At this point I'm not sure what time I will be coming through Lincoln on Saturday. I may end up staying Friday night in Colorado. When I was flying home last Saturday I realized I have a sinus infection - when they depressurized that twin prop I was on it about blew my eyeballs out of my skull. If that happens on my way out Friday - I'm not driving far.

So, did anyone come up with something they want me to bring back? Corn Man mentioned possibly springs & shocks. Lots of room for more stuff.

Keep in mind - I'm not a Slee representative, only a customer who happens to be driving an empty truck back this way. Anything you want me to bring back for you has to be prepaid through Slee and be something he already has in stock.

Thanks!

Grench

Not that I'll be much help, but I'll be heading through Omaha from North Dakota, to Tulsa, OK over Thanksgiving. And back again. Let me know if that fits someone's plans and I could possibly drop off/pick up along the way.

Took the Grench up on his offer...thanks for picking up my 2.5 kit and more importantly the cupholder!

Took the Grench up on his offer...thanks for picking up my 2.5 kit and more importantly the cupholder!

No problem. Now all we have to do is get the planets to align so that you and I can meet up and put your stuff in the back of your truck instead of mine. :)

It was fun to meet Christo and his guys. They really do know their way around these trucks. The work they did on my truck in a week would have taken me 6 months of weekends. With them doing it I have confidence that the jobs were all done right.

Thank you Christo, John and anyone else out there in Golden that lent a hand on this!

Now to hijack my own thread.

I noticed that this one thread got the attention of and a response from at least 5 local area 80s owners. I'm betting that there are a few more lurking in the wings.

Is anyone interested in getting together for lunch and 80s talk? I think December 5th might work. Either someplace on the SW end of Omaha or maybe Parker's in Greenwood? I'm open to suggestions on date & location. So, is there any interest?

I would be interested...nothing to offer being a noob, but am good at eating. Can probably add "wow thats cool" here and there. I also would request that we have a serious discussion on Landtanks MAF and the "surprising" results. KIDDING, KIDDING. That is the first one I check every day for laughs. I want to get one just out of curiosity now.

How is the new gearing?

I haven't been watching lately, but am back for now. I am interested in the results of the re-gearing? Because Nebraska is mostly flat, did you feel the need for re-gearing because you are traveling to areas that offer more terrain? Or what is the deal for that? What tire size are you running? I read many on this forum that feel the stock gearing and 315s isn't that bad??

I am wondering what tire to get for my FZJ and am leaning towards 315s with stock gear.

As for meeting, my 80 is down right now. Will be for at least another month, so I won't make that Dec. 5th in that rig. I do have two driver fj40s, but don't feel like driving either one of them that far. I love crusiers, and drive my '75 fj40 daily, but its pretty uncomfortable at 60 with 30" tires and 4:10 gears. Sounds like its going to explode!

later

I also would request that we have a serious discussion on Landtanks MAF and the "surprising" results. KIDDING, KIDDING.
I have a brand new never installed one sitting in a box on my shelf - complete with Cruiserdan supplied sensor. Do you have the facilities to do the tests to settle dust in the other thread?

I haven't been watching lately, but am back for now. I am interested in the results of the re-gearing? Because Nebraska is mostly flat, did you feel the need for re-gearing because you are traveling to areas that offer more terrain? Or what is the deal for that? What tire size are you running? I read many on this forum that feel the stock gearing and 315s isn't that bad??
Stock gearing and 315s, even with a supercharger, makes the truck a bit of a slug. I went to 4.88 gearing for several reasons. Being able to accelerate from a stop is great. Having the transmission not continuously searching for the 'right gear' while rolling down the interstate is great. A bit lower gearing for greater control off road is going to be great too.

I am wondering what tire to get for my FZJ and am leaning towards 315s with stock gear.
IMHO this is a bad idea. I have a stock truck (Wife's) to compare directly to. The following speeds were taken from a Garmin GPS - obviously as tire sizes change the speedometer gets a bit off.

*Stock vehicle isn't going to win any acceleration contests - but it is a great baseline. On I80 Omaha to Lincoln it does not downshift. There isn't much oomph left for passing past 65 MPH. Great off-road for power to the ground, but obviously clearance isn't great. Holds 75 MPH comfortably. 80 is OK, but not ideal.

*285 no SC 4.10 - Acceleration takes a hit. Highway driving is OK - but it had a tendency to downshift out of O/D on even the minor hills between Omaha and Lincoln. Works out pretty good off road. In my case I was running highly aggressive off-road tires. Goodyear MTR. Not a lot of oomph between 65 and 75 MPH - and nothing doing past 75 really.

*285 with SC 4.10 - Acceleration comes back to about what it is in a stock vehicle and then a bit more. The downshift out of O/D on minor hills does not happen as often. This makes a pretty good setup. 80 MPH cruising is pretty easy.

*315 with SC 4.10 - Acceleration takes a hit. Highway driving is OK - but it has a big tendency to downshift out of O/D on even minor hills. 80 MPH on the flats is easy. I didn't run this way for very long.

*315 with SC 4.88 - Acceleration is back in a big way. Highway driving is good - no sporadic downshifts on minor hills. Only drawback is that 78 mph is 3,000 RPM. Only off road I have done with this set up so far is some sand driving on Big Mac Saturday morning. It performed well.

As for meeting, my 80 is down right now. Will be for at least another month, so I won't make that Dec. 5th in that rig. I do have two driver fj40s, but don't feel like driving either one of them that far. I love crusiers, and drive my '75 fj40 daily, but its pretty uncomfortable at 60 with 30" tires and 4:10 gears. Sounds like its going to explode!

I'm not opposed to meeting in Lincoln. I grew up there and have fond memories of Taco Inn and Piezanos. We don't all have to bring our 80s. The 5th isn't set in stone either. At this point the #1 thing is finding out who's even interested in getting together.

Thanks!

I don't care when or where, but I am interested. It would be nice to get together to see who is around and what expertise and directions they have/are taking with thier rigs. Do you think there is a way to see who is registered on the site from around here and send them a PM?

As for the MAF--Well, no facilities, nor would I know how to test, unfortunately.

Grench,
It appears right now its just us three in the area. No matter what happens, I would like to take a look at your fine FZJ, it sounds very spot on. You might also get a kick out of seeing my dual purpose Mustard '76 Fj40 with the 501 bigblock cadillac, turbo 400 and 38" SXs.

Did you install the Super Charger? or have it installed, or was it in place on purchase?

Thanks for the info.

Grench,
It appears right now its just us three in the area.
There are more of us - at least 2-3 more, but apparently they're being shy about posting to this thread.

No matter what happens, I would like to take a look at your fine FZJ, it sounds very spot on. You might also get a kick out of seeing my dual purpose Mustard '76 Fj40 with the 501 bigblock cadillac, turbo 400 and 38" SXs.
That 40 sounds like a hoot! You're right, I'd like to see it. Where have you been going around here to be able to even play with it?

Did you install the Super Charger? or have it installed, or was it in place on purchase?
Purchased the FZJ80 6? years ago. Purchased the SC from Cruiserdan last year. I installed it with some assistance from my brother in law - he's my :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: that I go to for the more crazy stuff.

With the SC, 4.88 gears and 315 tires - I finally have the mechanical set up that I'd been after. Next projects are rust abatement and interior / electrical expansion work.

I'm planning a trip to Lincoln on December 4th at 7:30 PM at the Walmart on North 27th to link up with the Pioneer Four Wheelers club at the 104.1 (the Blaze) Kampout for Kids fundraiser.

I may have my wife and kids with me though - If so I won't be able to stand around and chat long.

Boys: I won't be able to come up on Dec 4th as I already have plans. Would donate, just let me know how to.

Grench: I might have my brother pick up my junk as he is coming down for the Kstate game Sat. I will have to see what his schedule is, but what works for you? He lives around 120th and Military, but works around 108th and Q. If it doesn't work out, I will be up there Tues evening with the family to visit friends, so I can pick it up then.

What is the P4W wheeling site like? It would be cool to try a little off road excursion sometime, but I think I need the equivilant of a bunny hill to try out first.

Hope to catch up with Chapman this weekend...PM sent.

Hey dumbasses i used to live out in the american desert, now in Kalifornia, enjoy the gun freedom and cold weather, its 55 and fired up the woodstove, need any help let me know.

Boys: I won't be able to come up on Dec 4th as I already have plans. Would donate, just let me know how to.
It's a thing that 104.1 (The Blaze) does in conjunction with the Lincoln Action Program. I'm not affiliated with either. I show up at the production tent every year though. My understanding is that they'll be there at Walmart on North 27th from 6 AM on 12/4 (Friday) until noon on 12/5 (Saturday). I have no idea if there is any way to donate without being there. They take new unwrapped toys and of course cash. Everything that's raised goes to local area needy kids & families.

Grench: I might have my brother pick up my junk as he is coming down for the Kstate game Sat. I will have to see what his schedule is, but what works for you? He lives around 120th and Military, but works around 108th and Q. If it doesn't work out, I will be up there Tues evening with the family to visit friends, so I can pick it up then.
I have it all offloaded into my garage. Tuesday evening might work. Give me a call as we get closer to it - you have my numbers in a PM.

What is the P4W wheeling site like? It would be cool to try a little off road excursion sometime, but I think I need the equivilant of a bunny hill to try out first.
Be your own judge - they're a local vehicle agnostic club.
Pioneer 4 Wheelers
They have a spot of land SE of Lincoln that they have outings to. It's a bunny hill for the most part - more mud than I care for, but an entertaining place to spend an afternoon.

Considering the only other local club is called, 'Just Jeeps'...

Hope to catch up with Chapman this weekend...PM sent.

Hey dumbasses i used to live out in the american desert, now in Kalifornia, enjoy the gun freedom and cold weather, its 55 and fired up the woodstove, need any help let me know.
Not sure I get the dumbass part - but the term, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!" comes to mind. I know--complete chat, but Country music is OK so long as it's funny.

I wish the other local 80s guys would come out of the woodwork and just give a yes/no whether they're interested in trying to put all 6 or so of us in one place at the same time.

Nebraska Boy

I can't believe I missed this... Thought I would post up on this to show another Nebraska guy in the forum. Right now I am living in Osceola, but moving back to Lexington here soon. Would love to meet up and talk cruisers sometime. I have friends that live in the Lincoln/Omaha area and make it back all the time.

Hope to meet you all soon!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom