Tires Sizes?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to the FJ Cruiser part of IH8MUD..but know the FJ40 forum well. Although i still prefer my FJ45; with the temperature hitting 50C not having air conditioning is not an option; hence had to purchase a "newer" model.

I've seen a few threads on tires; but needed a solid yes / no.

Will a Hankook Dynapro AT-M 285/70R17 rub on a stock 2012 FJ Cruiser?

You will probably rub on the infamous body mount which is behind the front mudflaps.
I have an Old Man Emu 2.5" list all around, and my 285s rubbed when turning on the left mount.
Had it rectified a few weeks back with a local shop that did the chop for me.

You will probably rub on the infamous body mount which is behind the front mudflaps.
I have an Old Man Emu 2.5" list all around, and my 285s rubbed when turning on the left mount.
Had it rectified a few weeks back with a local shop that did the chop for me.

Thanks Corey...I don't want to go through all that hassle so a smaller tire is best.

Thanks Corey...I don't want to go through all that hassle so a smaller tire is best.
Are you going with the stock size of a 235x70x17?
Here is an old post of my rig from from 2006 from my build thread of my first set of mud tires I got shortly after getting my rig in 2006.
They looked good with the stock rims and stock lift, and there was no tire rubbing at all.
If I had no lift today with a stock rig I would get the same tires I just bought a few weeks ago, the Toyo Open Country M/Ts in a 235.
But since I have the lift, I went with the 285s and got the body mount chop done a few weeks back, and have zero issues with rubbing now.
But the quote below will give you can idea of what a stock size mud will look like.
And I highly recommend these Toyo tires I have now, they are dead quiet, more aggressive than the Dick Cepeks I had on there, and ride much smoother too.
Just a way better tread design.
Not to rest upon Sundays small Maglite mod, I had yakked with Les Schwab Tires Saturday about the Cooper Discoverer STT tires I have been wanting.

They are unavailable right now in the USA almost in the stock size of 265x70x17 which equal 32".
He did locate a set of 4 this morning in Pennsylvania, and I had him get them shipped, they will be here in a week.

But...I changed my mind.
Les carries a tire made by Cooper for Dick Cepek called the Mountain Cat.
They are so new they are not shown on Dick Cepeks site, or on Les Schwabs site.
When you look at them, you can clearly see they are made from the same mold.
They changed the sides a bit, and a little on the tread, but you can see the mold is pretty close.
These are still actually Cooper STT tires in disguise :D

I got $200 for 4 of my stock tires that came on the rig.
Not bad considering I have 1,200 miles on them.

These tires are beefy!
They are actually quieter than my Wild Country TXRs I ran for the past 8 years on the 4Runner, but the tread is way more aggressive, a true mud/dirt/rock tread.

They want some feedback from me on these tires since they are so new.
They do have a low hum, and I hope that it gets louder as they break in.
I like loud tires ;)

They also had one demo mounted to a really cool Les Schwab brand (Ultra) wheel called the Allied 891/892 in a 17x9, and they mounted it up.
I think they had that demo tire and wheel waiting for me since it fit the FJ just right :)
Nice wheels, and $128 each, about $75 cheaper than the AR Mohave Teflon wheels I was thinking about.

Anyways, I can not wait to get my rig off road for the Fall Colors Run coming up and test out these new bad meats.
If I like them well, I will get five of them sized at 285x70x17 and new wheels come spring to run as my spring through fall set, and the current set will become the fall through spring set.
Nice thing about having two sets is it makes them last quite a few years.
I did not opt today to replace the stock tire on the tailgate.
I will do that before winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom