Timing doesn't change when in service mode? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi first post and first FJ80 :D We needed an all wheel drive, 4 door, SUV to haul the new baby around with, so I found a high mileage 1994 a couple of months ago.

I've been fixing oil leaks and after replacing the distributer o-ring I decided to check the timing and adjust if needed. I have also read on here that these benefit from running a little more advance than factory specs.

I found the directions on www.lcool.org.

When I check it idling normaly in park at operating temp I'm around 16-17 degrees. It should change (lower to factory spec of 3) when the service connection is jumpered to "service mode" but it doesn't. However the check engine light does flash so I know the jumper is connected correctly.

Do you guys have any ideas?

It also seams to have a rough idle at times after it warms up... probably not related but figured I would mention it.

Thanks!
ROB

Maybe it really is sitting at 16-17 degrees. Did you try doing a disconnect/reconnect of the dist. elect. connector?

Was it jumpered properly? I've seen many people not get the paperclip into the correct slot or just not into the metal part of the terminal making a connection. Hell, I've built a business around that little bit of nonsense :p

Put in your paper clip, CEL flashes (on that vintage 4.5L), adjust your distributor to 3 degrees.

Cycle power off, remove paper clip, check what the timing is doing with your timing light. You do have it clipped onto #1 yeah?

Given you have a) a PO vehicle and b) you just pulled the distributor and re-installed, your base timing may be way off already....

cheers,
george.

Maybe it really is sitting at 16-17 degrees. Did you try doing a disconnect/reconnect of the dist. elect. connector?

I was thinking that might be the case. It could be so far advanced it pings and just happens to retard to the exact same point. It would be a coincidence but possible.

Was it jumpered properly? I've seen many people not get the paperclip into the correct slot or just not into the metal part of the terminal making a connection. Hell, I've built a business around that little bit of nonsense :p

Check engine started flashing so I'm pretty sure it had a good connection.

[QUOTE="george_tlc, post: 10596205, member: 176]. You do have it clipped onto #1 yeah?

Given you have a) a PO vehicle and b) you just pulled the distributor and re-installed, your base timing may be way off already....

cheers,
george.[/QUOTE]

If I got it on another wire it would be 120deg, 240deg or 360/0 deg off. 13deg is too close for that.

I had it marked well when I re-stabbed it so I know it was close. If that happened I would have expected it to still move when service mode is set.

Make sure the AC is turned off when checking timing.
In order for the timing to change with TE1 and E1 jumped you have to have the throttle position sensor set correctly,.
This means that the IDL circuit is complete at the tps sensor at idle. You may have carbon buildup in the throttle body holding the throttle plate open enough that the IDL circuit does not make continuity. IDL circuit tells the ecu that the throttle plate is fully closed.
You can always look up throttle position sensor adjustment in the repair manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom