Tile the garage floor time.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.z3power.net
I have been debating between epoxy and tiled floor.
The good about epoxy - - looks great, lasts a long time, chemical resistant, water resistant.
The bad about epoxy - - EXPENSIVE, long prep time, if done wrong - delamination, chips if you drop something heavy, patching looks bad.

The good about tile - - cheaper than epoxy, lasts a long time, easy to replace damaged tiles, chemical resistant.
The bad about tile - - will allow liquids to seep between the tiles to the concrete floor.

I have dealt with commercial grade epoxy when renovating our machine shop and injection molding floor back in SC. Loved the stuff, but it was super expensive. I had someone quote our current 3 car garage and it came to near $4000!!!

I also knew about tiled floors by RaceDECK from my racing magazines. I too had them quote and they were under $1900.

In the end the tiles won and the order was placed directly to Race Deck.
Less than a week later something was left at the garage by UPS...
IMG_0010.jpg

Peeking inside the box exposed this...
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

If every thing goes well during the install, it should turn out like this below...
FongGarage06042008.jpg

The next day I started laying the tiles and noticed that I did not notice any RED tiles?!?!....I counted the boxes and I had to stop laying the tiles down, UPS did not deliver two of my containers from RaceDeck....they claim they were confused about the address?!!?
Damn they delivered 10 of the 12 containers of the tiles...

Plus they called three times to get directions...I just don't get it...
Anyways, I plan to be in SA tomorrow and I will stop by the UPS shipping facility to get my two boxes.

Idots...and i use to work for them back in the day.....oh well.
Cindy has been taking some pics of me laying the stuff down, super easy...but to center the tiles, I will be trimming three inches on the left side tiles and three inches on the right side tiles, so that the RED tiles will line up in the center of my garage.
GarageTiles061820085.jpg

GarageTiles061820082.jpg

GarageTiles06182008.jpg

Yep I am picky on that stuff...I want to finish the floor this coming Saturday...inbetween keeping myself cool with a cold one or two or three!
:beer:

That Saturday I finished the double stacked side of the garage..looks great. Still waiting for my final two boxes to show up...someday.
I will try to get it from UPS tomorrow, between lunch.
GarageTiles062220082.jpg

That Monday...more on the on going UPS story...well they still have not shipped my remaining two boxes to me...
they now want me to come and pick the stuff up...I wanted to try today, but Cindy and I were in the middle of directing the movers from our old place to the new place.
Now our place has big brown boxes all over!
So it looks like I will be getting my stuff this Monday (?)
I called UPS to find out where the warehouse is and they say it's on Seven State Street.
I asked is there a land mark or something I could reference?
They said they can not do that...because the people I was talking to was from FLORIDA ! -- WTF.
So all they could do is tell me turn by turn directions...almost like a Tom-Tom.
What really sucks other than missing the two boxes, those two boxes have my red tiles and my front edge tiles.
Which I need to really get my tiles lined up.
So my tiles sit - waiting to be driven on....until a later date...this sucks.

Then Tuesday, I was able to find the missing containers, almost as worse as the airlines. I started the final side Wednesday.
Today, I finished the floor - sort of!
After taking a swig of beer...
GarageTiles062520083.jpg

Then laying our the final tiles...
GarageTiles062520084.jpg

And cutting and hammering away, the tiles are laid.
GarageTiles06252008.jpg

Next on the list is the cabinets and work table.

Looking at LISTA tool mobile cabinet and some other cabinets to store stuff. That will be another thread.

Me too...the single bay in the rear will be my work area, that is why the layout looks different.
In case anyone is wondering...;)

That looks sweet!!!

I really like the end result. I wish I had done something like this when we moved in five years ago but we were in a hurry and didn't. Now I look at the garage everyday wishing I did. Looks fantastic!

Looks awesome!!!

Now all together now....NEXT WRENCH DAY AT NATHAN'S!

Yeah WAT at Nates...as soon as I get my shelves in and move the extra sh*t to the shed - that still needs to get built! Damn too many things to do!

Cabinets ordered - now need tooling organization!

Since I have ordered my cabinets for my garage, now I need to look into ORGANIZING MY TOOLS! :eek:
Some samples below...
I was at Lowes this past weekend and saw this interesting piece.
It's from Kobalt @ $17
KobaltmagTray.jpg

Magnetic and could hold anything, I would only need to add labels.
Right now I am leaning towards Ernst organizers (easier to combine sets of sockets @ $6, not including a base that would combine sets).
sockets_big.jpg

or the SocketLock-it versions (sockets will not fall off if on it's side @ $18-$20 - but not able to join together like Ernst).
logo.jpg

But the Sears' socket bar ($20) is temping too - but I would have to add labels and it too does not join together like Ernst.
searssocketholdermagnetic.jpg

My requirements is to be able to read what is loaded there and able to lay the socket set on it's side. I have already ordered a Lista Mobile tool cabinet - MMP0600-0702 (44 3/8 wide).
W15-247.jpg

Similar to the smaller sister shown above.
The mobile cabinet will house my metric gear (because my two cars and truck is all Metric). While my SAE stuff will be housed in a different stand-alone combo-tool DW sized cabinet from Lista.
ListacombiDW.jpg

Decisions, decisions....:bang:

Yes it has been a good number of years... I have done quite a things on these tiles... From wood working, replacing my suspension on my Tacoma, and crap load of oil changes, etc.
But, any snap together plastic tiles are not fluid resistant from seeping between the joints.
Water will flow thru the joints faster than oil.
One other thing, the white tiles are hard to keep clean.

Would I do it again?
Maybe.
So what would I use....stained & sealed concrete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom