Thoughts on Sizes for BFG KO2s on stock wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering replacing the stock Dunlops on my new 2016 LC with KO2s. I had these on our LR4 and really like them. 2 questions. Sizes and "when" to do this. Input is welcome. (Not interested in input on other tire brands/models as I have already made that decision.)

First, my major drivers on size are 1) Modest off road driving but plenty of sharp-ish rocks on these Colorado Trails. 2) We pull a 6,000# trailer. For these two reasons I'm leaning towards the E-rated LT models which is what we had on our LR4.

Size options I'm considering. Primarily the 285/65R18. Same width as stock. A tad more height (32.5" vs 31.5"). E-rated. I could also consider the 275/70R18 if I wanted it bit more height but I would lose some width and I'm not sure 0.35" of lift is that big a deal. I could also consider a D-rated 285/60R18 if the other options will give me fit issues.

My questions about sizing are whether there are any fitment problems with the 285/65R18? I don't want any rubbing. And I want to be sure the spare (same model/size) will fit in the normal spare tire spot underneath.

As for timing, I'm wondering how long I can use the stock Dunlops. I don't know anything about them. In a couple weeks we'll be towing our trailer and then doing some off road. Are the new Dunlops good enough for now? They are D-rated, not LT tires. That is probably my most significant concern is sidewall strength when off road. If they are good tires for now I'll put another 10K on them and put the KO2s on in the Spring.

Thoughts?

Oh, and one more question. I have never swapped tires for a larger size (diameter). How easy is it to reset the odometer? Are there any other things I should do if I go to the slightly taller tires? Alignment?

I have the 275/70 18 KO2 on stock wheels. No rubbing, look good. I believe some people have suggested there is rubbing with the 285 you mention. Before another suggests you "search," I will do so. There is no lack of tire threads and, I believe, a database dedicated thread with a good number of tire/wheel combos with real-world experience and actual numbers.

i run 285/65/18 on stock TRD Pro wheels. Fitment was great and no issues of rubbing or anything. I recently added 1.5" spacers and now it's rubbing on the mudguards.

As for the Odometer, it will be off by a tad 3% or so. Not going to be a huge difference.

I have 285/65/18 KO2ss on aftermarket wheels with a significant offset. I needed to do a fair amount of trimming and remove the mudflaps to make it fit. To be honest, I didn't expect to need to do that as I wasn't aware those wheels had that level of offset. I'd guess that you'd be okay with that tire on the stock wheels (I also have a 2016).

On the upside, with the amount of trimming I've done (and my 2" lift), I could probably fit 34s or 35s with no problem now.

Good choice on the KO2s -- awesome tire.

Thanks! That database is great. Looks like I'm good with the 285/65R18s.

285/65R/18 fit fine when I was stock, but did rub ever so slightly on full lock turning left, but not right (hmm?) But would only encounter that on rare occasions - turning radius is surprisingly good.

No problems with the spare either.

Also, search for @gaijin 's posts on tire size and speedometer. The speedo is calibrated for 17s I believe so stock 18s actually run under actual - with 285/65r/18 you actually bring everything into alignment!

Gaijin is the tire wizard, but iirc this size you are looking at is a win-win-win!

Last edited:
win/win/win. I can do that. ;) And thanks for the tip on @gaijin.

So I went up a bigger size, 275 70 18 and my speedometer is spot on. Someone mentioned that they set it conservative to show higher than you are actually going from the factory. Now I don't know if that is true, but whenever I use a GPS or look at one of those signs that says your speed isXX, It is spot on. Maybe I am just lucky :D

My 285-70-17 KO2's made no difference to my speedo - in fact it might be more accurate with those tires!

So I had the 285/65R18 KO2s installed yesterday. Headed out on the freeway today and, yikes, lots of vibration once I get above about 50mph. I am now back at Discount Tire to check the balancing. But just to be sure, these things should ride reasonably smooth, right? I know they are LT tires. I have them at 45 front and 55 rear (as I'll be towing a trailer with 700# tongue weight later today or tomorrow.) But I didn't have any issues like this when I put the KO2s on my LR4. Just checking to see what others have experienced. I have gone to an LT tire primarily for resistance to damage when off pavement and for better towing. Am I correct in those assumptions? Should I be running at a different PSI?

Thanks. They just finished the rebalancing. We'll see if that did the trick.

I notice you run at 40 PSI. I'm at 45/55. Maybe I should back off a bit unless I'm towing?

So I had the 285/65R18 KO2s installed yesterday. Headed out on the freeway today and, yikes, lots of vibration once I get above about 50mph. I am now back at Discount Tire to check the balancing. But just to be sure, these things should ride reasonably smooth, right? I know they are LT tires. I have them at 45 front and 55 rear (as I'll be towing a trailer with 700# tongue weight later today or tomorrow.) But I didn't have any issues like this when I put the KO2s on my LR4. Just checking to see what others have experienced. I have gone to an LT tire primarily for resistance to damage when off pavement and for better towing. Am I correct in those assumptions? Should I be running at a different PSI?
I'm running the KM2's mudders from BFG and mine run smooth at 80mph, your KO2's should run way better than mine! I run 38 front and rear...

I have 275/70r18 KO2s, they run extremely smooth at 80-85mph. I usually run between 35-40PSI all the way around

I notice you run at 40 PSI. I'm at 45/55. Maybe I should back off a bit unless I'm towing?

The "Book" says you should be running between 40-41psi (let's call it 41psi) Front/Rear. Toyota makes no specific reference to increasing rear tire pressure when towing, but increasing rear tire pressure to 45psi when towing would do no harm.

HTH

Thanks! I hadn't seen "the book" so for me you are the book. ;). I do think I need to be a bit higher due to altitude? I live at 6,000' and spend a lot of time in the mountains.

Ask them to roadforce balance ( computer ride match) them.
Small up charge and well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom