Thoughts from the Mini minds? 1999 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those full time cases are sweet if you don't plan on wheeling. Do the 4runners have an option to lock the center diff? The xj i had as my first car had full time 4wd with a lock option, it was nice in the rain.

It does have a center diff lock option.

my other comment about lots of space in the back was flippant, but not without merit. The car with the most seats is the one everybody piles into. Driving is distracting enough without 4 teenage girls in the car with you. I took the back seat out of my 80 because IL has a law 16 YOs cant have passengers and I think its a good law.

So my dumb ass son put a kid in the back anyway

and got in a wreck.

kids make you old.

my other comment about lots of space in the back was flippant, but not without merit. The car with the most seats is the one everybody piles into. Driving is distracting enough without 4 teenage girls in the car with you. I took the back seat out of my 80 because IL has a law 16 YOs cant have passengers and I think its a good law.

So my dumb ass son put a kid in the back anyway

and got in a wreck.

kids make you old.

ALL TRU DAT O WISE ONE!!

Like John said, the later 3rd gens have the awd option. There aren't a ton of good options for awd vehicles that I could recommend. Maybe rav4? Subarus need serious maintenance around 100k if you want the motor to ever see 200k. Valves tulip and make for exhaust valves hanging open and burning. Older crvs have this same issue, but adjusting valve clearance on the honda is just the cost of a valve cover gasket and about an hours work. The turbo subarus have their own issues too.

A number of the light duty AWD vehicles on the market have CVT tranys which concerns because I don't know anything about them and these aren't ATV's.

I'd say go with front wheel drive if you cannot find an awd.
I sent my daughter out in front wheel drive her 1st winter ( and has been in one ever since) . They do very well in snow.
Are the Rav4s' awd?

Stay away from CVT transmissions.

RAV4 is 4wd.
Fwd is next step which opens it up and makes it easy. Lots of choices.

If you do get the 4runner it will take her some time to learn the shifters. I've been in John's several times and still can't figure them out. I know it's a different Gen. But I bet they didn't change them much.

I know a guy with a 99 limited that he MIGHT be willing to sell. In my opinion the 99 limited was the cats behind of the third gen 4Runner. He looking into a 1st gen sequoia or 100 series LC. Trans was rebuilt at 100k. It has 165k now. Doesn't hesitate to drive it back and forth to CO. Probably should have the timing belt redone since it's the original. NEVER been off road either. NEVER!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom