This really bugs me...slow electric windows !!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

which begs the *real* question:
can you use wd40 on duct tape?

Lurking from the 60 forum. Funny you have the same problem with your 80 series windows that I had with my FJ62. I solved them with new window channels, cleaning and lubing the regulator, and installing relays at each door. My windows are 4 seconds down and 5 seconds up. The problem that gets fixed with the relays is the miles of skinny wires between the drivers door and the passenger doors.

If someone wants to send me a schematic of the power windows, I'll see how close the FJ80 windows are to the FJ62 windows.

Here is my power windows and locks fix thread for my FJ62:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/261058-power-windows-door-locks-permanent-fix.html

I Didn't want to spend the money or time to do new runs so I lubed the glass runs and cleaned the switch contacs (in the drivers door). Result: a good, positive improvement. I don't know what they were like new but it's as fast as they've moved in the 5 years I've owned my LX.

I used Shin Etsu silicon grease to clean a lube. I get this stuff from Honda to use on door seals to keep them supple and prevent deformation and freezing. If you have freezing doors you can't open in the winter, just coat 'em with this stuff. It's slick too, so I thought why not?

I used a q-tip and Shin Etsu grease to clean the runs first, then apply to the runs liberally, cycle the windows a couple times and clean-up the excess.
DSC00414.JPG
DSC00419.JPG
DSC00416.JPG

91 FJ80...Okay, my window would not close without help on the driver's side until finally the motor died an inch from the top! Bummer. Duct tape and weather stripping are keeping the rain out, but my question is: how to reach regulator when it is that high up inside the door, OR is there any way to manually get the window the rest of the way up so that at least it will be closed OR how to get it back down so I can reach the regulator. Thanks!

The LC I just bought (94 FZJ) has the same slow window issue. All the Cruisers I looked at before I purchased had slow windows. I actually was thinking about looking into converting the windows to the old school crank style. Theres something about cranking a window that just gives me pleasure.

Quick Google search shows it should be possible and for considerably less than a new motor.

Last edited:
This is super-cheapskate realm here so those who take pride in their work please stop reading now. My '94 had super hard, dry rubber tracks so I took a new angle grinder wheel and ran it down each track (after removing them, of course) a couple times, making more room for the window to run with less friction. It took that glazed hard surface off and at least loosened them up a bit for the windows. I figured they're already shot, can't ruin them much more. It really helped speed things up a lot and freed up some money for the laundry list of things I have to do yet.

I had the same problem with ALL the windows in my '97, real slow going up. Cleaned and greased all the motors, window tracks, and switches, made a big difference in the speed. They are still slower than my wife's new suburban, but much more livable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom