This item is no longer available - Cummins 2.8 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great Thread!

Sorry if I missed it but what did you use for paint? Single stage or color/clear? Looks great.

Also, interested why you went with Kydex? I don't know anything about it. I fabbed similar rear quarter panels out of 1/8" ABS but I'm wondering if should have investigated this product.

Keep it coming!
Cheers
-Ed

I can ask the the body shop if it was single stage but I went with a matte color and no clear coat. Very close to ivory but I told the body shop that I wanted the pseudo desert military style.

Kydex is a moldable material. It's used mostly in mass transit vehicles and aircraft, seats panels stuff like that. You're able to put a heat gun to it and mold it the way you want. For the two panels in the rear cargo area it only cost $50. Add the nutcerts and bolts for $10 and it's a pretty easy solution over the stock cardboard panels.

Welding day. Man I really love the plasma CNC machine. Shackle points are 5/8 inch thick. Cuts thru it like Butter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453477753.744533.jpg

Hi Jimmy
this is a real nice resto.I like your paint and your wheels verry much.
What are those rims and what tire size are you running?
Is that 2 inch OME lift?

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the complements. The lift is the OME heavy which is about a 3 to 4 unladen right now. Once I add the weight to it it should settle down a bit. I'm still in build up stage right now.
Tires are BF Goodrich KO2, 35 12.5 17.
Rims are Raceline Daytona RT51 17X8's.

Pulled this from the TLCA FB page. Place marker for me more than anything else.

Worked on the rear bumper swing arms. Left will hold the jerrycans and integrated ladder step. Right is the tire carrier.
The bend will give it strength but I will have some back plate rigidity built into the structure as well.
Getting pretty proficient at Bend Tech Sheet Cam. The TEQ symbol took about 3 hours to do.

left swift arm.jpg
Tire carrier.jpg

I like how you're going with bent plate for the swing-out arms rather than tube. I love outside the box thinking!!

What gauge metal are you using?

3/16's Same as the bumper. The backside will be reinforced with another plate for strength and ribbing will be used also.

Got the swing arms burnt out. Bending will happen once I finish a bathroom remodel. Must find a way to balance projects.

IMG_4758.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG

Awesome fab work CJ!

Can you give more info on that magnet you show in your pic? I see a red switch. Think I saw the same one on Extreme 4X4.

Thanks for sharing.

Got the major fab work out of the way. Had a couple learning issues with Bend Tech with regards to bend allowances. Now it's on to the tabs, stops and latches.

IMG_4788[1].JPG

So I got the latches installed for the tailgate storage system. Works great. I used a piece of 1/2 wood for the base platform and the Spector carpet set piece. For whatever reason I was thinking that SOR's piece for the tailgate was not coming with the rest of the kit. Tunnel vision while I was underway with the restoration project I guess. The latches are pretty stout and easy to install. I've already thought about the moisture issue with the wood and frankly I'm not too concerned with it. I would have bought Kevin's tailgate system but the budget was getting a little out of hand with all the needed things to buy to get it running. I'll probably put a thin layer of shellac on the inner face for protection and a place to put all the stickers I've collected.

Here is the website for the latches.
Compression

IMG_4798[1].JPG
IMG_4799[1].JPG
IMG_4796[1].JPG
IMG_4797[1].JPG

Last edited:
Damn that's sweet

The rear bumper is getting Linex'ed this week. I should have it back by Friday.

The old body was cut up and set out to pasture. The entire carcass is still there just in pieces. The doors are still good with glass in them. The rear quarter panels are good down to the lower body area. From there it's rusted and rotted out. I bet I pulled one can's worth of Great Stuff per side from the lower inside rear section wheel well.

IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4821.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom