This followed me home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update. I have finally made some progress. Well, I got the body shop to start spraying body parts. I picked up just about everything except the tub and the roof. They should be done next week. I spent a couple of hours today putting one door together! This is going to take me a little longer than I expected to get it back together.

I will try and post some pictures as I put things together.

It took me over seven months for what I though was just going to be a 2 week paint job. In my case each piece removed meant cleaning and refinish or replace and it's one of those things under the heading, "well now that I'm here I might as well take care of it and do it right."
Looks like you are doing a fantastic job!

Last edited:
Thanks, Captn. I had a couple of pictures of the painted parts, but I couldn't get them to load. I am in a bad internet area for the weekend.

I really thought it was going to take me a couple of months to get it back together. After spending most of the afternoon and evening on just the doors (and still not finished) it is a bit humbling. While the paint and body work was going on, I cleaned and painted tons of stuff. I want to do it right, and plan on walking away when frustration sets in.

you're moving along at a great pace. I've been slowly building mine for 2 years and I only have a frame tacked together over the axles. don't burn out. your doing great

20160626_200838.jpg

20160626_200838.jpg
20160626_200909.jpg

20160626_184834.jpg

A few shots of my progress. I played around with the CCOT weatherstripping I got for the doors. I decided I didn't like the quality and I am going to get some OEM.

Two things I have learned: Take way more pictures than you think you will ever need and if an OEM part is still available (especially if it is rubber), buy it and don't worry about the cost. You tend to forget about the money, but the crappy part is a constant reminder of how cheap you were trying to be!

I am getting the tub, hood and roof this week. Then it is game on.

I have more time staring at my 40 than wrenching on it. I will run out to the garage to grab something and then spend 20 minutes looking at it.
sometimes this is a good thing--keeps you from doing something "on the fly" . It gives you time to really think about a plan---(plus- you may get some needed feedback from the rig itself while you are talking to it)

sometimes this is a good thing--keeps you from doing something "on the fly" . It gives you time to really think about a plan---(plus- you may get some needed feedback from the rig itself while you are talking to it)

No kidding! My rig is saying "It has been many years since I made noise, please get me back on the road". I work for a while, then reread @SSCR 's restoration thread. I bet I have read it ten times. Great resource. I am bringing a couple of hinges back to be repainted. He didn't get good coverage on some angles.

No kidding! My rig is saying "It has been many years since I made noise, please get me back on the road". I work for a while, then reread @SSCR 's restoration thread. I bet I have read it ten times. Great resource. I am bringing a couple of hinges back to be repainted. He didn't get good coverage on some angles.

@SSCR s build is a great resource to doing things the right way. I find that if I rush, I end up redoing it, as the quality suffers. Mine is starting to ask to be on the road as well. We are close to starting on rust repair, and hope to be driving out of the garage late this fall or early spring.

View attachment 1281342
View attachment 1281342View attachment 1281343
View attachment 1281346

A few shots of my progress. I played around with the CCOT weatherstripping I got for the doors. I decided I didn't like the quality and I am going to get some OEM.

Two things I have learned: Take way more pictures than you think you will ever need and if an OEM part is still available (especially if it is rubber), buy it and don't worry about the cost. You tend to forget about the money, but the crappy part is a constant reminder of how cheap you were trying to be!

I am getting the tub, hood and roof this week. Then it is game on.
Ernest, looking good! What are you hiding under the covers behind the 40 parts?

Thanks Mike, I am really getting excited about the FJ40. Thanks to this forum, its been one of my favorite projects. Hiding in the background are a factory five cobra(MK4) replica that I built several years ago, and a 96 F355. I am all over the place with cars.

Got some work done over the last few days. I installed new OEM weatherstripping. The OEM is worth every penny. It fits perfect. I found doing it in 8-10 inch sections using a stool to roll around on was the easiest method.

20160701_082725.jpg

Picked up the tub today. I got it on the chassis and started putting some stuff back together. I had to chase every threaded hole to remove paint. I got the wiring harness installed and the brake and clutch assembly.

20160701_105449.jpg

20160701_210953.jpg

20160701_211046.jpg

Excellent work Ernest!

Its finally coming together bro, keep attaching more pics as you've got my attention now, can't wait for the next set!

I have been making some progress the last few days. A/c is installed, wiring is mostly done, clutch bled and adjusted. I need to bleed the brakes and get my coil situation sorted, then I should be able to fire it up.

I want to bypass the ignitor and keep the OEM coil with the resistor. Using a trollhole dizzy. I have a couple of old threads for reference. Just have to make the time that sort it out.

Some updated photos: Door gaps still need a little tweaking. I wanted to let the gaskets set for a while before I did anything more.

20160717_141814_resized.jpg

OMG what a bitchin ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the color-your paint looks fantastic; PPG??

OMG what a bitchin ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the color-your paint looks fantastic; PPG??

Thanks! I am really excited about the progress and the transformation. The paint is Dupont Chromabase (base coat/clear coat). The finish is very clean. He wants to do a final buff when I get it all back together. I am trying to be as careful as possible putting it back together.

I had a lot of body work to get done. New rear sill, quarters, fenders and a door patch panel. In retrospect, it may have been a better idea to get it into primer, then put it back together for a test fit. Tweaking the panels with a final spray on it can be stressful. Fenders and front bib are tough.

You should be proud-awesome work man!!!!

A little more progress. Thanks to @GA Architect I bypassed my ignitor, wired the TH dizzy and fired it up. I didn't run it but a few seconds as I just wanted to make sure it would fire. I got the seats, floor liner with insulation, and a few other items installed. My 19 yo son has been a big help. Great project to spend time with him before he heads back to college. I think he can see the end in sight and is motivated. He was nowhere to be found when I was elbow deep in grease scrubbing knuckles!

20160719_182155.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom