Think I killed my ECU, help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this weened I was working quite a bit and have a bit of idle time in between calls and different tasks so I figured I'll work on the cruiser a bit since I haven't lately.......yes I can't leave well enough alone.

My LX is 97 and was working great. Back in the days I advanced my timing to 8 and it was wonderful even with regular fuel. Fast forward to a few months back I advanced it to 10 degrees and still great but I figure I'll put in premium fuel just in case, it's not my DD.

So yesterday I was thinking, if regular fuel is fine at 8 degree then premium fuel should be fine pass 10 degrees......that's where the story started. I got my trust paper clip and timing light and set base timing to 12ish. Drove around and all is well with no ping or anything, talked to NLXTACY and he thought I have lost my marbles, timing is way too advanced and can hurt the engine. I told him I don't hear ping but he wasn't sure if I can tell from scangauge that the ECU is retarding the timing. So i decided to drive to his place and pick him up so he can help me listen to the ping. I have him, me, 400lbs of tires and wheels and flooring up this 10% hill next to his house. All was well and the cruise climbs with no issues. At the very top of the hill I think I felt a bit lost of power but it was at the very end so couldn't tell.

Happy as a clam I went home but though I should check timing again and see and the time is WAY below 0! guess the knock sensor did work and it did retard the timing. Disconnect the batter for 10 minutes and same thing! I thought if I put in the paper clip I should get my old timing back!

This is where I think I killed my ECU:
puzzled by the super low timing even after battery disconnect I thought maybe the paper clip isn't making good contact. So I unplug the paper clip and try to put it back in and wiggle a little so it gets good contact............and then I saw a spark and engine instantly died.

After looking at the digram the Te1 is right next to B+!!!!!!!! Why is that there!!!!!

after check all the fuses and relays I think my ECU is dead!

Here is where I need your help:
Is there anything else I can check besides fusiable link, relay, ECU A and ECU B?

If my ECU is dead my current ECU part number is 89661-60652, do I have to replace it with the same one or a 89661-60260 can also work?

thanks guys!

Test your ECU per FSM.

Don't fret about anything till you follow the correct diagnosis tree in the FSM. Don't throw parts at something that might not be broken yet.

Yes I'm going to try to find time to run the test tomorrow.

If it's bad which ECU is compatible? Oh wise one?

I have had cpu's on PCs get frozen from electrical discharges. Sometimes a few days are needed for a charge in the chips to bleed off and then everything works fine after that. I don't know if it is the same with automobile ECUs or if you did do permanent damage. I hope your part tests OK.

I have an ECU from a 97 LC if you end up needing one. I can check the #s on it and see what it says if you're interested. That is if you can stomach putting LC parts in your LX!;)

Just to clarify, when you checked the base timing again and you said it was below zero, that should never happen the computer can not retard the base timing. The computer can only retard the electronic advance added to the base timing.

good luck! I know these ecus aren't cheap if you need to replace yours :-/

What he said^^^^^. Sure you tightened the dist. down properly?

Well it doesn't quite matter from Toyota anymore.

1FZ-FE ECU's for the 80 series are now discontinued.

Used only.

Oh crap really? That is kind of startling. Someone needs to do a plug and play stand alone with harness if people want to keep these trucks running forever.

Well it doesn't quite matter from Toyota anymore.

1FZ-FE ECU's for the 80 series are now discontinued.

Used only.

Yes, not the right man, at least for right now. I am literally sitting here playing on mud instead of listening to the professor lecture for Physiologic Adaptations for Mother/Newborns for my clinical rotation and not to mention I have 2 project trucks one that is a long ways from being done. lol.

But there are a lot of smart guys on here! I prefer Motec if someone does it ;)

Just to clarify, when you checked the base timing again and you said it was below zero, that should never happen the computer can not retard the base timing. The computer can only retard the electronic advance added to the base timing.

good luck! I know these ecus aren't cheap if you need to replace yours :-/

My thoughts exactly and that's why I was surprised and messing around with the paper clip. Guess I really should of bought the Wits' End glorified paper clip since likely hood of slipping with those is almost none compared to a regular paper clip.

Sorry I'm not Tricky T but, you mentioned that you checked all the fuses, how about the fuseable links?

The fuseable links seems good to me at least, I will double check again but they were solid. I never seen a bad one, so what does the bad one look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom