Thick Rubber on a lx570 for urban street offroading? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently own a 2002 LX470 with 15" wheels, nice beefy tires from the old days (before low profile), and a 1.5" slee diff that I like running over curbs and big potholes with. It's my mini monster truck. Im considering a lx570 as second car. I hate the 18-20" wheels and want enough rubber to run over medians and curbs. I like hitting pot holes at high speeds and not feeling the bumpy ride because of tires absorbing the shock. True feeling of being King of the Road.

So I have a few questions, what is smallest wheel that can fit on LX570 without ripping brakes out?

Is the tire aspect ratio same or different than LX470? Meaning if I rip brakes out and put smaller brakes in, will 15" wheels/tires feel like my lx470?

Is there a override switch to AHC so I can leave it in high mode all the time?

I currently own a 2002 LX470 with 15" wheels, nice beefy tires from the old days (before low profile), and a 1.5" slee diff that I like running over curbs and big potholes with. It's my mini monster truck. Im considering a lx570 as second car. I hate the 18-20" wheels and want enough rubber to run over medians and curbs. I like hitting pot holes at high speeds and not feeling the bumpy ride because of tires absorbing the shock. True feeling of being King of the Road.

So I have a few questions, what is smallest wheel that can fit on LX570 without ripping brakes out?

Is the tire aspect ratio same or different than LX470? Meaning if I rip brakes out and put smaller brakes in, will 15" wheels/tires feel like my lx470?

Is there a override switch to AHC so I can leave it in high mode all the time?

Keep the larger brakes. 17" wheels are small enough for plenty of rubber.

285/70/r17 gets you plenty of rubber without need for changing your suspension.

Here are 285/70/17's on my 200. This is lifted, but they'll fit without a lift just fine:
Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 3.34.08 PM.png

Will 16" wheels fit with lx570 AHC?

Will 16" wheels fit with lx570 AHC?
I have the same wheel/tire combination shown above on AHC no problem.
You cannot leave AHC on high. It lowers as you gain speed.

20141107_165149.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same wheel/tire combination shown above on AHC no problem.
You cannot leave AHC on high. It lowers as you gain speed.

20141107_165149.jpg

Is there no override? Slee made a switch for the 100, but I don't see it for 200.

Is there no override? Slee made a switch for the 100, but I don't see it for 200.
If anyone has some soldering skills and feels adventuresome, I'm willing to look at the AHC wiring diagrams and try to figure out how to wire up a switch to keep AHC in high mode. I expect the actual switch to be similar to what people have done to trick their Nav system into thinking the vehicle is sitting still so that they can operate the Nav system while driving. I believe the AHC system just measures vehicle speed and would need a similar intercept switch. I haven't read up on the behavior though so it's possible the AHC is reading CANBUS data and not just measuring voltage.

If anyone has some soldering skills and feels adventuresome, I'm willing to look at the AHC wiring diagrams and try to figure out how to wire up a switch to keep AHC in high mode. I expect the actual switch to be similar to what people have done to trick their Nav system into thinking the vehicle is sitting still so that they can operate the Nav system while driving. I believe the AHC system just measures vehicle speed and would need a similar intercept switch. I haven't read up on the behavior though so it's possible the AHC is reading CANBUS data and not just measuring voltage.
I can do that.. if you can be accurate. Dont care to replace my ECU ;)

Keep the larger brakes. 17" wheels are small enough for plenty of rubber.

285/70/r17 gets you plenty of rubber without need for changing your suspension.

Here are 285/70/17's on my 200. This is lifted, but they'll fit without a lift just fine:
View attachment 1266385

Hi, what are you using for a spare? Same wheel/tire will fit in original space or something else? Thanks.

Hi, what are you using for a spare? Same wheel/tire will fit in original space or something else? Thanks.

Yes. Same wheel/tire combo for spare. No problem fitting in spare location.

The only thing you might have to tweak is if you have Rock Warrior wheels like mine, as the center hole is slightly too small for the spare location's pass-through bar on the spare lift-chain. It's about a 5 minute fix, though, as all you do is slice off an inch or so of the bar with a dremel tool or hack-saw. Otherwise, the tire fits fine without any trouble.

Yes. Same wheel/tire combo for spare. No problem fitting in spare location.

The only thing you might have to tweak is if you have Rock Warrior wheels like mine, as the center hole is slightly too small for the spare location's pass-through bar on the spare lift-chain. It's about a 5 minute fix, though, as all you do is slice off an inch or so of the bar with a dremel tool or hack-saw. Otherwise, the tire fits fine without any trouble.

Thanks Markuson.

Is anyone running wheels without TPMS sensors? I am quite capable of monitoring my own tire pressure and don't need or want the TPMS sensors, and I can cover up the TPMS light. I would rather keep them on my factory wheels, rather than having to transfer them to the aftermarket wheels.

Nice, same question to you - will the 285/70 fit in the original spare area or did you need to use the rear spare carrier? Thanks.
Did not try to fit it, as I've got a long range ARB fuel tank where the spare tire fits underneath.

No. Brakes are too big. You WANT big brakes on the 200/570 too...

Thanks, went and test drove a LX570 yesterday. You are right about needing big brakes on the 200! In fact, I am wondering how to make it less soft? Is the only way to put a bigger brake kit? I usually like brakes that stop on a dime.

Also, you were right about 17" wheels working fine, I drove one with 20" wheels and it wasn't to bad. BUT, I am trying to compare it to my 1.5" Lifted LX470 without AHC. To me my LX470 is the most fun vehicle ever, but the LX570 didn't feel that way. It had MUCH better offline performance but the suspension seemed very soft, I like being able to adjust the ride height but not sure if I should stick to the hydraulic suspension. It felt taller than my LX470, I am going to measure my car but it measured 6'5" in normal height, 6'7" in high setting. I am really having the dilemma between AHC and no AHC currently.

Thanks, went and test drove a LX570 yesterday. You are right about needing big brakes on the 200! In fact, I am wondering how to make it less soft? Is the only way to put a bigger brake kit? I usually like brakes that stop on a dime.

Also, you were right about 17" wheels working fine, I drove one with 20" wheels and it wasn't to bad. BUT, I am trying to compare it to my 1.5" Lifted LX470 without AHC. To me my LX470 is the most fun vehicle ever, but the LX570 didn't feel that way. It had MUCH better offline performance but the suspension seemed very soft, I like being able to adjust the ride height but not sure if I should stick to the hydraulic suspension. It felt taller than my LX470, I am going to measure my car but it measured 6'5" in normal height, 6'7" in high setting. I am really having the dilemma between AHC and no AHC currently.

The LC and LX do have strong brakes. It's just that you have to stomp on them pretty hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom