Builds The Volvo C304 restoration. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geckoadventure.net
I know its a Toyota forum but these vehicles have donated many of their axles to COMP trucks and serious adventurers I thought you might wanna see one being preserved.

So officially last night the Volvo started its restoration stage 2 process. Stage 3 will follow stage 2 (restoration of the rear).

It's now in a secret location in PERAK where aliens are working on it.

1. Rust removal in the front of the cabin
2. HID lights installation
3. LED lights
4. Raise floor for short legged people
5. the rest you will have to wait and see - but restoration work pics will be shown - I will see it in 2-3 months time. NOt sure even of the STage 2 colour result as not sure how they are going to paint the cabin before we restore the rear.

Sunday Nite at the workshop and the rust is revealed

2011_07_31_Volvo_P1000142.JPG

2011_07_31_Volvo_P1000141.JPG

2011_07_31_Volvo_P1000143.JPG

3 months I cannot wait.

Last edited:
Oh a SUGGA yes please send one my way like this one

There were only 724 of these ever made - the guy spent over $100,000EUROS on this one according to my german friend.

Anyway I digress and will get banned from the forum for not conforming to TOYOTA's only :)

Anyway please purchase this one for me and send this one to my house in Malaysia :)

Last edited:
I got an SMS from the engineer - "The volvo ICU situation is critical but can be cured with TLC and money".

Next

I loaded up the new seats and the now repaired 12,000lb warn winch and wait for it the 18,500kg winch I acquired (40,293 lb) to military specs :) - my my my what a fool but I could not resist it its going to be mounted to be the spare front pulling winch if the Volvo ever gets really stuck and the PTO dies :) :) :) . I also found the headlight grills and its all being delivered to the engineering shop I hope tonite so I get my first look at it stripped as they wanna talk to me about where the relocated fuse boxes etc are to be located and the radios and the stereo and how the sounds proofing is to be done.

The location of the 18,500kg winch is yet to be decided but I want it under the rear but my friends want it in the front and VISIBLE - damn thing is so heavy I cannot even pick it up without help :) .

At 18,500kg (40,235lb) I can pull wait for it 8 LWB LC II's with a SWB on the end just for fun hahaha - haha 12,000lb DING DONG (china made) winch who needs one hahahahahahahaha. The WARN winch 12,000 which was busted and 4WD system (warn official dealer) shop would not look at till september has been repaired by stiven at 4x4 SHoppe and is now running . It is also being converted to 24V soon still costing a motor.

The cabin also needs to be cut to accommodate the 14B-T - that damn pesky turbo gets in the way

I bought the engine friday - while the 3.0 Petrol engine and gearbox was out I thought DAMIT toss it and replace with a diesel as the cabin needs mods to fit - Toyota 14B-T and not a 15B I decided $17,000rm+++ (5000 usd) for a 15B (total modified cost) and then turbo'd and manifold etc was too much so went down the already turboed path of the trusty and proven 14B-T (3660cc) in line 4CYL diesel with this engine I should pull 8k+ Litre rather than the 4k I get around town and 5.2k on the highway and the diesel torque is what I am really after :) Before anyone asks the Toyota 1HZ and 1HD not even in the picture they start at $20,000rm ++ (6000usd) for a well used unit :(

The new diffs arrive from the UK this week I hope with the 5.99 ratio and the diesel will have no problem pulling it along.

I will find the 14B-T specs later as they are rather elusive on the web only the 14B specs avail and the turbo has was more grunt than that.

More pics later tonite or tomorrow depending when I visit the baby in ICU.

Last edited:
I saw the Volvo yesterday

Cabin fully completed and sat back on the Chassis.

Chassis and cabin wired brushed and no more rust found :)

14B-T engine dropped off for installation to replace the B30A engine .

All "holes" and been welded up.

Air cond vents installed and air cond grill installed

New Dash is now to be constructed with PTO levers and all winch controls located on the old area above the radiator cover. New radiator cover also made to keep the hot air out.

Rear cabin is not going back on and to be replaced by an all ALLOY tray to save weight we estimate 300-400kg saved.

Seat positions checked and sorted.

Radio and stereo and GPS console to be installed

External ROllcage design and size agreed.

Intellitronix DASH to be installed. - Sacrilige - yes im tossing the original DASH its got 3 sets of instruments in it so we going to function and simplicity - unless someone knows a better dash I can use?

Digital Gauge Panels

Power steering to be installed soon - unfortunately from a FORD

Mercedes brake booster installed under the steering wheel and all other brake stuff tossed.

Two electric winches layed out and ready to install on 8 MM plate and will hang upside down from the chassis just behind the PTO.

Fuel tank (150L or 37Gallons being designed) for left side underneath basically I have 22"*12"*42" to fit a tank in (or 55cm*30*107) minus a bit of angling will give me 150-170 liters) - 3 Batteries to be installed on right side. Air intake to be sneaked out the right side by the rear drivers window with possibly a Toyota Air Box etc fitted.

Pictures later when I get them of the camera later today.

The truck looks so good I just wanna drive it now and its only a shell I just cannot believe the transformation.

If you have ever watched on of those shows where they strip a jaloppy and rebuild it the shop looks just like that :(

Cabin back on until it needs to be cut for the 14B-T
2011-09-17 17.12.42.jpg

Front all repaired or replaced rusty parts with thicker gauge steel.
2011-09-17 17.13.07.jpg

2011-09-17 17.13.45.jpg

One of the two electric winches to be installed beside the PTO - One forwards and one facing backwards.
2011-09-17 17.14.03.jpg

From the rear the back of the cabin restored the rust now all gone.
2011-09-17 17.14.27.jpg

2011-09-17 17.14.37.jpg

The roof all repaired and wired brushed down
2011-09-17 17.14.55.jpg

The front right side all fixed and air cond radiator installed
2011-09-17 17.15.53.jpg

Left front side all repaired and ready
2011-09-17 17.16.02.jpg

Drivers side seat sitting for me to get checked out and yes new seat is lower so more headroom.
2011-09-17 17.16.21.jpg

2011-09-17 17.18.08.jpg

Old engine meet
2011-09-17 17.18.25.jpg

New engine
2011-09-17 17.18.34.jpg

Air cond vents being setup and new radiator cover.
2011-09-17 17.21.55.jpg

I like the cab over design, It looks like "In your face driving " I guess.

Toyota 14B-T , with the Volvo cab-over design , A Real neat project , cicak

OOOOPS , calling it a "project" is a understatement

Thanks for posting.

I not sure how many are following this thread but more progress

It's back to being a DUNE buggy

The engine and gearbox ready to be lowered into place again for the 14B-T Engine mounts to be welded in place. Sump needs to be cut a little to accommodate the front drive shaft. See the PTO on the REAR right (farest wheel) above which will sit the two electric winches.

2011_09_24_P1000646_Volvo.jpg

The buggy from the rear with the WInch plate ready to mount the rear facing WARN M12,000 and the T-MAX 18,500 for forward operations. THe REAR pintel hood has been removed/relocated and will be lifted to give more ground clearance for dropping into rivers etc.

2011_09_24_P1000647_Volvo.jpg

Maybe another month and it will be finished.

Reactions: RFB
Ah i want those jungle trekkers on my truck!

JUngle TREKKERS are no longer made. We all found issues with them. Serious issues on side slopes and grip as a result. Too HARD which can/does cause issues on log bridges.

Hard wearing and good for highway usage but only were max 34" most of us want 35" or 36"

Lugs being ripped out/off on Boulders

Hence SIMEX/CONTINENTAL dropped them recently

Only can now get SIMEX/Continental Extreme Trekers :) and for us they are $300USD each :( and they are made about 2K or less from me here in KL :(

JUngle TREKKERS are no longer made. We all found issues with them. Serious issues on side slopes and grip as a result. Too HARD which can/does cause issues on log bridges.

Hard wearing and good for highway usage but only were max 34" most of us want 35" or 36"

Lugs being ripped out/off on Boulders

Hence SIMEX/CONTINENTAL dropped them recently

Only can now get SIMEX/Continental Extreme Trekers :) and for us they are $300USD each :( and they are made about 2K or less from me here in KL :(

Heck I would gladly take a set of those! 35/10.5/16s!
Pretty pricey tires!

CURRENT STATUS battery box for the 24 volt batteries made and the 12v volt battery box is there but not so visible. That's a 12v 48KG battery sitting in the tray to show it all fits :) - will be covered this week also (to stop the frigging thieves taking them) and a fuel tank being made for the left hand side more progress to report in 2 weeks as Brett has been away at 4x4 Rain Forest Challenge Sri Lanka so all work stopped on it and this weekend I am recovry for the LARUT HILL 4x4 INTERNATIONAL challenge and the VOlvo Builder is also cometing in his WRX (SUBARU) powered Landrover.

14B-T Engine now in place on new engine mounts and they (mounts) look absolutely first class im impressed.

Drivers removeable floor also finished.

2011_11_05_P1000764.Volvo_Web.jpg

Long discussion on ROLL CAGE etc and positioning of SOLAR battery and they 12V battery box.all sorted :)

New hinges made for engine cover so it no longer slides out and fills the cabin with hot air.

Power steering filler mounted in a easy to get to place.

Intercooler purchased and ready to mount (very nice unit will take pic when in place) to fit behind the passenger cabin seat and has own fan etc built in.

Custom 3 core radiator to come from the USA as the local builder decided to build us something we did not want and offerred us a $100rm ($30usd) discount and was told to stick the poorly made radiator back in his car and leave - fool lost out on 3 as we needed the same one for 2 other trucks hahaha fool.

Fuel tank to be build this week on left hand side some 170-200+ liters (40-50US Gallons) and construction of the roll cage will commence and the bar for the harness seat belts to be made and fitted also. Now figuring out where to stick a 100liter water tank but not a lot of room as the 3 WINCHES int he rear take up all the free underneath spare. We looking at the roof of the rear cabin to place it.

12volt Alternator to also be fitted next week.

I enjoy the old 303 designs. I wish there were more of them in the US. They seem hard to get parts for (brake upgrades, power steering additions, etc). Very cool though. I'm enjoying your thread. I'd like to see an expedition build as well.

I enjoy the old 303 designs. I wish there were more of them in the US. They seem hard to get parts for (brake upgrades, power steering additions, etc). Very cool though. I'm enjoying your thread. I'd like to see an expedition build as well.

Brakes - easy convert to TOYOTA 70 series DISCS :) and we now have MERC C200K master cylinder and brake booster etc in it.
Steering upgrade easy - FORD F5000 TRACTOR hydraulic Power steering kit ($250USD) bolts on without much trouble :)
It will be almost expedition truck when finish just be patient :) the builder is finish the front CABIN first as I have been filling his head with ideas for the REAR all ALLOY rear cabin to save weight :) and a pop up roof :) with ROLLOUT tarps either side (30*30 feet) . He the builder is actually enjoying the build also as he is avoiding using all the mistakes from building his Landrover Racer 3-5 times and the Rainforest Challenge HEEP Cherokee he and his driver compete in and his work is excellent quality.

The C304 is awesome but we are not allowed here to REGISTER a 6x6 as a CIVILIAN vehicle :(

I was so excited about the new battery box I forgot to take pics of the rest of the truck saturday :) .

I thought the steering upgrade was more difficult than that. There isn't much documentation on the net on those things. With disk brakes, power steering, and a/c, you'd only be missing a turbo diesel engine. Oh wait, you got that. Nice.

Did you keep the original transmission and transfer case? Aren't they one unit?

I thought the steering upgrade was more difficult than that. There isn't much documentation on the net on those things. With disk brakes, power steering, and a/c, you'd only be missing a turbo diesel engine. Oh wait, you got that. Nice.

Did you keep the original transmission and transfer case? Aren't they one unit?

THat's what we thought until Brett saw the F5000 kit hanging up in parts shop and asked how it fitted etc .
Yes I have a nice TURBO DIesel engine cannot wait to hear it PURR.
Original transfer case and gearbox kept (yes its one piece and very tiny (400mm) long only). Only worried about breaking it as the torque from the DIESEL considerably higher than the PETROL (300Nm vs approx 160-200NM) - time will tell. If it fails then its a H55F conversion also.

Steering from what we can see is a WELD on an bracke then connect the ARMS and its almost ready to use and connect to the power steering pump.

Hi Cicak

how is it coming along?

I have a TGB1314 (C304) I have fitted a 1KZ-t Toyota engine and gearbox in.
I will add a Mercedes GD power steering box too.

I would like to know more about the brake update?

Interested in more details about the f5000 steering conversion. Is it "power assist" or "full hydraulic"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom