The "Un-Official" Off Road Trailer Pic Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's my little homemade rig...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I want one of those! A tent/pop up set up was just for sale here locally for $600.

I'm on the lookout for another one of these little canvas tent trailers myself. It is unique, and pretty damn roomy inside once deployed, sleeps 4...

Just completed a "frame up" on our 4x6. Tucked inside now is a pair of 10.5 gal H20 tanks plumbed together for running tap water, a mounted Yeti 75. A separate compartment in the rear acts as our galley with stove, running tap water, dry goods and dinnerware storage, etc. The left side of the trailer is a mirror image of the right, with matching 5 gal jerry can. Shovel, axe, and mini grease gun fist grips are on my workbench. It all sits atop a 3,500 lb E-Z lube axle on a set of old 33x10.50s and hitched up to the 80 with a spinning lunette ring and pintle hook. The rebuilds first trip will be the end of this month..

DSC01881.jpg
DSC01885.jpg
DSC01888.jpg

The entertainment I had with mine this past weekend on quick overnight camping trip to Hale Creek on the western shores of Harrison Lake, BC.

IMG_20150613_183736.jpg

IMG_20150613_183708.jpg

IMG_20150613_203539.jpg

IMG_20150613_203619.jpg

And a little video the wife took as I took the tentative easy line through the small rock garden on the way out:

https://goo.gl/photos/JMa3LRQgRsZquDcm7

What type of coupler are you using?

I know the pintle is made for mobility but offers no resistance on tounge rotation. It didn't look like that big of a rock and your COG looks pretty low, was momentum the cause?

The pictures never do it justice, but thats a fairly deep rut that its lying in. I had come through the rocks, slowl, and turned into the little gulley there and when the one tire of the trailer dropped off the rock it tipped over...I guess. I kind of forget the trailer is there and wasn't paying enough attention apparently.
After I unhooked it, I had to rotate the pintle by hand back to level. It had turned about 45 degrees.

Glad there wasn't more damaged...real bone orchard there

Glad your damage was minimal... I can't say how many times fellow off roaders remark that my pintle hook and rotating lunette is overkill.. I just smile " if it ever goes over, a ball hitch would be ripped to shreds , then you'd be really up the creek"

Glad your damage was minimal... I can't say how many times fellow off roaders remark that my pintle hook and rotating lunette is overkill.. I just smile " if it ever goes over, a ball hitch would be ripped to shreds , then you'd be really up the creek"
I ball hitch wouldn't rip to shreds. If it did then it was going to fail before @ some point because it was flawed. The road forces on the trailer are greater than a slow roll over going 3 MPH.

In his case, a ball hitch probably would have prevented it from flopping over.

In his case, a ball hitch probably would have prevented it from flopping over.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this also. I've seen a few instances where a ball would have limited side to side roll. Not stirring the pot just gathering information for my own application. I currently use a heavy bulldog type hitch that allows some roll but not unlimited.

I currently use a heavy bulldog type hitch that allows some roll but not unlimited.
Any idea just how far your Bulldog will allow the trailer to articulate? I've been curious about this. I've used lots of them & have always been impressed w/their strength/build quality.

Any idea just how far your Bulldog will allow the trailer to articulate? I've been curious about this. I've used lots of them & have always been impressed w/their strength/build quality.

According to my Clinometer it's about 27 to 28° where the ball shank hits the coupler.

1436273139793.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom