The Ultimate BBQ Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot to upload my most recent butt shot.
20160521_174247.jpg
Damn it was good!

Elk meatloaf cooked on BGE. No cooking shots but my covered smoking deck came in handy. About the time I put it on the BGE, severe T storms hit ... Sure nice to cook under cover

image.jpeg

Pic of smoking deck from July 4
image.jpeg

Smoking my first pig next weekend. Any tips are appreciated.

Elk meatloaf cooked on BGE. No cooking shots but my covered smoking deck came in handy. About the time I put it on the BGE, severe T storms hit ... Sure nice to cook under cover

View attachment 1291373

Pic of smoking deck from July 4
View attachment 1291374

Smoking deck!?!? I need one of those!! I've been using a cheap vertical smoker for years that turns out some of the best Q I've ever tasted. Problem is that they don't make it anymore so I'm looking at possibly the GSM or the egg as a replacement. Have you used the Weber GSM and if so, how does it compare to the egg?

Smoking deck!?!? I need one of those!! I've been using a cheap vertical smoker for years that turns out some of the best Q I've ever tasted. Problem is that they don't make it anymore so I'm looking at possibly the GSM or the egg as a replacement. Have you used the Weber GSM and if so, how does it compare to the egg?

I have not used the GSM. I have a couple of friends that have Primos grills, but they are essentially the same as a BGE .. at least the same principle of operation.

Yep, but you have to wear a smoking jacket while you use it. @elkaholic? Am I right?

View attachment 1293077

That or just a glass of good whiskey such a Wyoming Whiskey ....

If I had to buy a smoker (I got two already, a cheap vertical one from Home Depot - not al that bad) and a stainless steel one from Cabela (you can see it on a previous page, I would get one of these.
Keep it "local". Modesto. Joey loves that place anyway. Reverse flow.

KAT Reverse Flow Smoker

If I had to buy a smoker (I got two already, a cheap vertical one from Home Depot - not al that bad) and a stainless steel one from Cabela (you can see it on a previous page, I would get one of these.
Keep it "local". Modesto. Joey loves that place anyway. Reverse flow.

KAT Reverse Flow Smoker

Those look really nice, but after using my EL Cheapo for the past 5 years I'm convinced that a basic vertical coal smoker like the one I have is the way to go. I only bought to start experimenting, but love it! GSM is about $300, which is 6X more than I paid for mine, but looks worth it based on what I've seen/read.

2016-07-19 19.01.20.jpg

I'll put my Q up against anyone's!
2016-01-09 16.49.02.jpg

Those look really nice, but after using my EL Cheapo for the past 5 years I'm convinced that a basic vertical coal smoker like the one I have is the way to go. I only bought to start experimenting, but love it! GSM is about $300, which is 6X more than I paid for mine, but looks worth it based on what I've seen/read.

View attachment 1293338

View attachment 1293339

Here's my old one. Still have it.

Finally got done putting all the shots together. The long awaited video.

View attachment 1293338

View attachment 1293339

How many hours do you smoke them for?

How many hours do you smoke them for?

That was briket turned into corned beef then seasoned and smoked for pastrami! Bout 10 hours smoke time.

View attachment 1293338

View attachment 1293339
Is the pink the smoke ring or from curing salt? I've never experienced it on only one side when smoking.

I'm of the opinion that you'll eventually learn and master whatever grill/smoker you get. I used a regular square Aussie Grill to smoke with for years (when I wasn't grilling on it!) because it was what I had. Harder to use? Yes. But the people I feed don't know the difference. My BGE makes life easier by letting me practically set & forget for 10+ hours (but it can be a chore to get to that point some days); the Aussie had me tending it every 30 -60 minutes, and removing the grate each time to do so. Anything designed around smoking will be similarly beneficial. I'd like to get an offset barrel smoker, just for kicks, but don't have the room here.

Is the pink the smoke ring or from curing salt? I've never experienced it on only one side when smoking.

I'm of the opinion that you'll eventually learn and master whatever grill/smoker you get. I used a regular square Aussie Grill to smoke with for years (when I wasn't grilling on it!) because it was what I had. Harder to use? Yes. But the people I feed don't know the difference. My BGE makes life easier by letting me practically set & forget for 10+ hours (but it can be a chore to get to that point some days); the Aussie had me tending it every 30 -60 minutes, and removing the grate each time to do so. Anything designed around smoking will be similarly beneficial. I'd like to get an offset barrel smoker, just for kicks, but don't have the room here.

I brined the brisket for 14 days and used half for corned beef, which didn't have the pink ring. I would assume it was from the smoking process but I was also baffled from it only on one side.

I also never use curing salt...only kosher

was there fat that was trimmed off on the other side? you won't get a smoke ring in fat...

View attachment 1293338

View attachment 1293339

I have both the "el cheapo" and a WSM. The WSM beats the pants off the cheaper version hands down. I got lucky and found my WSM on Craigslist for $60...yes...$60...and he threw in 2 bags of kingsford, a couple bags of royal oak and a bunch of hickroy chunks...so deals can be found if you're patient.

I still keep the cheap smoker if I need extra space, but really haven't used it for years...so I should pass it along to someone...

Great thread. Considering that I hadn't logged into Mud in a couple years, long story, I have some reading to do as low and slow cooking is almost as much of a passion for me as my FJ40 is.

Before I kill a fun afternoon reading though 43 pages of posts, I thought I would share a picture of a pellet fired smoker I made back in 2013. I have a couple other smokers also, not pellet burners,
FinishedProduct.jpg
but this one gets the lions share of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom