The Thread of Shame!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Woohoo! That's great news bud! I'm happy my bad birf luck hasn't passed on to you!
LOL :D, it sure is and I'm glad your birf luck didn't get passed on either hopefully you broke the Gris Gris at SEC bud :)
dirty threads no thread lock tis tis tis :eek: need to have a talk to you mechanic heart 2 heart;) damn good ting he don`t charge ya a lot for those late nite overtime hours:D
LOL me too :D , I immediately checked the other side it was tight but none of them had lock washers I remember soaking a lot of the bolts for each side in a cup of WD40 then taking a wire wheel before I put them back on. Would have thought the Tennessee shake down run at GSMTR would have shown any issues I had just finished it to load it for that trip. We did a lot of wheeling that week and have been driving it ever since the timing is strange?
Lucky duck , same thing happened to my brothers wife honda once. And it locked up on tbe rim And blew tbe break line. Ya lucky it didn't do more damage
feeling part Leprechaun bud it certainly could have been worse.

they don`t have lock washers just the captured flat OEM uses thread lock high strength . to my knowledge all MFG`s use it primary reason is the vibration inherent in brake application .

I'm definitely going to be using that red stuff when I put my brakes back together. Your situation makes the added piece of mind worth it.

I'm surprised you didn't get some type of popping or clicking when applying the brakes. Maybe it would've happened when going from forward to revers though or visa versa. With the nature of brakes and all.

Ordered OEM bolts with the washers this a.m. and most certainly will use the red thread locker this time. I didn't have any sign it was even loose bud no popping or clicking but then again I had the whole family in there with all the windows down so it would have had to be pronounced for me to hear it. It certainly sounded like all hell came loose when I tried to stop it. I guess since it was the lower bolt it would lift the caliper and lock it against the rim to go forward and that explains why I could drive it in reverse but not forward.

I'm 99% positive I have and use the blue stuff. I guess I should pick up the red and re-torque. I couldn't imagine this happening at a high speed!

"why I could drive it in reverse but not forward?"

Possibly if the bottom bolt came out the calpier allowing it to bind because of the angle it is being forced to rotate, bitting into the rim? Backing up the calpiler has a smooth angle/slope/bevel on it allowing it to just slide and not grip inside the rim :meh:.... just guessing here.

I think your right Albert :) I brought that RF wheel and spare tire setup to swap the tires around today across the street at Goodyear, the good news is the tires are both good abused and cut up but they hold air and will hopefully hang on for a few more trips. Bad news is I need another rim, seems that cut was enough to penetrate the seal of the rim in several spots and cause leaks. I guess its good in a way I rather find out now than crack the rim on the trail or a trip. Shopping mud for a wheel :D

Lucky it didn't split the rim if it got that deep.

I think your right Albert :) I brought that RF wheel and spare tire setup to swap the tires around today across the street at Goodyear, the good news is the tires are both good abused and cut up but they hold air and will hopefully hang on for a few more trips. Bad news is I need another rim, seems that cut was enough to penetrate the seal of the rim in several spots and cause leaks. I guess its good in a way I rather find out now than crack the rim on the trail or a trip. Shopping mud for a wheel :D

Did you try Pull A Part Larry?

Lucky it didn't split the rim if it got that deep.

I agree apparently I wasn't far off. Looking at it I didn't think it was that deep and planned to use it but aired it up and sprayed it with soap and it was almost leaking all the way around. I guess it'll be a base for a new light stand in the shop :)

Hey, people weld on beadlocks so if it's steel, you might be able to weld it up!

Hey, people weld on beadlocks so if it's steel, you might be able to weld it up!

I'm still sporting the factory aluminum wheels. I like them and the look of the factory painted wheels but some steel beadlocks are on on my wish list but further down on the list.

Maybe the threads on the knuckle pulled out, I have seen it on a few mini trucks.

Maybe the threads on the knuckle pulled out, I have seen it on a few mini trucks.

That's what happened to me a few years back. I tapped it to 1/2" and put a grade 8 in there with a locknut and haven't had any problems. Luckily, my issues started while I was doing a caliper upgrade and not on the road. That's the same thing I'll be running in the rear once I beef up the brackets.

This is gonna be good. :popcorn:

Yes it is.

feeling part Leprechaun bud it certainly could have been worse.

Larry_zps332ff057.jpg
[/URL]

Honestly, that's the first time I've ever heard a grown man ask another grown man if he was a Leprechaun. It wasn't even Halloween. I told you this would happen. Thanks for the memories!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom