The thread I never thought I'd start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You see Joey in a bath robe and don't remember the evening before. :flipoff2:

...but your back sore, you breath smells like feathers and rubber, there are fresh bite marks on the pillow and there is a shave kit on the floor.

Oh, and I'm smoking a cigar while in my bathrobe and smack your ass on the way out after telling you to clean yourself up cuz you smell like a Texan.

Hmm, this thread makes me think of the first 80 series I ever rode in. Living up here in Canada we didn't get FJ80's or FZJ80's, we only got the LX450. Well the LX's were either to expensive or to rusty. My Dad ended up buying a 1996 3x locked FZJ80 in California, sight unseen, for about $9,000.00 Canadian. He flew down there and drove the thing back up here, I think I was about 10 at the time and I wished I could have gone with him so bad. I grew to love that vehicle, then one day a moose decided to step in front of it on the highway.:(

The only consolation was the $11,000 check the insurance company gave us.

So I say fly down there with your son, and make a road trip out of it. And don't worry about the HG or PHH, just drive, you will get home.

I say road trip with the kid.

I'd say "the worst happened" with mine in San Diego, and it wasn't the end of the world. Hell, I met some folks I will remember for the rest of my life in the process.

Also, I think 310,000 is past the "danger zone" for most of the biggies. It wouldn't have made it this long without some solid maintenance.

Road trip. And take the long way home. The wildflowers in Death Valley are going off right now.

Ok. Just checked flights. This could possibly work. $270 for a ticket. So $540 for my son and I. Now I just need to see if I can get out of work.

Hey-I like the 3FE too, just not in an 80 where there are better choices.

If that truck has already lasted 310,000 miles, the statistical chance of the HG going in the next 1500, is near zero. I say fly and drive. NLXTACY seems to have too much time on his hands, so have him do the PM (fluids, bearings, new radiator, PHH, water pump and belts) and drive it home.

You sure you want to take a rust free truck to Iowa? That seems kind of wrong. Maybe you should move to the truck.

you'd be surprised how high the probability gets in the time surrounding sale of said vehicle...

So, whoever had 1pm in the "How long until Joey's OCD kicks in and he can't handle having a neglected 80 sitting in his driveway without doing something to it?" sweepstakes is the winner. I was in my garage throwing a few things in a bin for the new 80 when I get a text from Joey.

Joey's text:

IMG_3907.JPG

I was holding this in my hand at that very moment:

IMG_3905.JPG

I see what you did there...

Well, it's green, unfortunately. It's my second least favorite color with burgundy being my least favorite. (no offense @hamishpotter)

No offense taken @LS1FJ40, I wasn't as much a fan of my 'cabernet' either. It's grown on me, and it's what's underneath that counts right? I picked it up in New Mexico - zero rust is the best color there is ;)

Congratulations on the new rig!

I'm seriously considering flying out and driving it back to Iowa. Via Death Valley and Moab.

It would be a crap ton of fun.

Joey, you up for an epic day of getting it 1800 mile trip road worthy? Turn on the TEQ signal in the sky and get @Qball and @Dragos80 and some others to give her the twice over before heading out?

Or am I just plain crazy for even thinking about it?

I just turned on Hulu and the first ad was for VisitCalifornia.com.

The second ad had a disclaimer about "burning sensation".

If those aren't two signs I don't know what are...

Take the road trip if you have the time and money!

I cherish my experience traveling cross country with my dad, sister, and girlfriend with our 96 Fzj and a LR discovery. The LC fit right in when we visited the white sands desert.

Of course, my greatest memory from the whole trip was when the PHH hose blew and my dad and I spent a whole day fixing it. Keep in mind we were in the middle of Texas and summer...the LC was also green and only had 180xxx on the clock. In some way, that experience led to my love of land cruisers :D

I say do the trip. It will be a great experience for you and your son no matter what happens. :cheers:

I just turned on Hulu and the first ad was for VisitCalifornia.com.

The second ad had a disclaimer about "burning sensation".

If those aren't two signs I don't know what are...
that's what we call targeted advertising based on recent search history, lol

Take the road trip if you have the time and money!

I cherish my experience traveling cross country with my dad, sister, and girlfriend with our 96 Fzj and a LR discovery. The LC fit right in when we visited the white sands desert.

Of course, my greatest memory from the whole trip was when the PHH hose blew and my dad and I spent a whole day fixing it. Keep in mind we were in the middle of Texas and summer...the LC was also green and only had 180xxx on the clock. In some way, that experience led to my love of land cruisers :D

I say do the trip. It will be a great experience for you and your son no matter what happens. :cheers:

Yeah, that's what I'm going to figure out this morning. Figure out cost between the two options and how much money I have for the "if s*** goes to hell in a handbasket" on the way back. I think it would be an incredible journey for my son and I.

Take our fishing reels and hit some fishing spots along the way back. Epic.

We took a trip from Dallas to Cleveland in 2009 ( he would've been 8) where we stopped at every skatepark along the way. It was a lot of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom