The Sancha Rebuild Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You gonna lock the front now that it's on the table? Better now than to have to tear it down again later?

You gonna lock the front now that it's on the table? Better now than to have to tear it down again later?

I don't know. I really want to but just don't know if it is in the budget or not. The wife is still out of work and the household income is WAY lower than we are accustomed to. If there is anyway I can swing it, I will.

Got the front axle housing, steering knuckles and hub assemblies off to the soda blaster today. Can't wait for them to be shiny metal. :)

Never had anything blasted before. Is it cheaper to buy a Harbor Freight unit or take it to have it done?

I thought about getting one, but it would be yet another thing in my already small garage. Add in that I have some pretty large parts that I am going to want blasted and it seems that it just made more sense to send them out.

Just found out that the rotors I ordered from Rock Auto are discontinued and the replacements are out of stock. I should have just gone with my local Napa and not tried to save a few bucks a side. Live and learn. :)

Make sure they are the 10.5mm studs and not the 14mm. I had the worst experience with checkers, Autozone. Had to return them both.

I'm a little confused, are you talking about the wheel studs or the rotors?

I think i am going to get these from Napa

Store Locator | NAPA Online

I am planning on using these wheel studs as they are a bit longer than stock.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

those are not the correct Rotors for your vehicle (i'm pretty sure).

Checkers, Autozone pretty much assume all fj40 rotors are the same. but 76,77 and 78 the hub is screwed on(10.55 mm holes). Versus other years where the wheel studs are pressed on (14mm holes).

So if you are going to buy them locally have them measure the stud hole. If it's 10.5 its good.

Ok, I understand. I guess that is another good reason to buy them locally instead of ordering from a non cruiser specific online parts warehouse.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote: "I do have one more question about the knuckles. I haven't measured the preload yet, but as I move them through their entire turning travel, there seems to be something of a detent in the middle, or where they would be if the wheels were straight. Is this "detent" normal or is there some wear in there that I need to deal with?"

No, that detent is definitely not what you want! The knuckle bearings are quite worn for them to have a detent and will need to be replaced...not a hard job being as you have torn it completely apart. Looking like a fun project...and weather should now be in your favor for increased garage time!

Cheers!

I didn't think so. On the drivers side the bearings look ok but it had the detent. The passenger side the bearing were in pieces when I pulled it apart.

What part of Idaho is "Wild Idaho?" I grew up near Moscow.

They had one of these rotors in stock when I stopped by Napa today to pick up my wheel studs. It appears to be the proper one. I will take a bolt with me when I pick them up to make sure. Heck, I might even take a whole hub with me.

those are not the correct Rotors for your vehicle (i'm pretty sure).

Checkers, Autozone pretty much assume all fj40 rotors are the same. but 76,77 and 78 the hub is screwed on(10.55 mm holes). Versus other years where the wheel studs are pressed on (14mm holes).

So if you are going to buy them locally have them measure the stud hole. If it's 10.5 its good.

Reactions: SMG
It was a great cruiser day today, even if I haven't been in the garage yet.

A box arrived from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Sort of felt like Christmas.

I also got my axle housing, knuckles and hubs back from the soda blaster. It is amazing that 32 year old parts that looked pretty terrible can come out looking so good.

Decided to grab a camera and take a few snapshots of the freshly cleaned axle parts. Will start painting them tomorrow night after work. My case of Zero Rust should be here by then.
P1030083.jpg
P1030079.jpg

Not much to report tonight. Thanks to Tools-R-Us here on Mud, I got my wheel studs replaced and got everything ready to install all the new rebuild parts. I did spend a little time tonight getting a coat of Zero Rust on some of the axle parts.

I even had a little help in the garage tonight.
P1030097.jpg

Last edited:
It was a great cruiser day today, even if I haven't been in the garage yet.

A box arrived from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Sort of felt like Christmas....

Ironic, I did have a customer jokingly ask if we offer gift wrap. Maybe for a $1 more we could wrap it up with a nice bow. How much better does it feel to pull off the wrapping paper :D

Thanks again for the order!

Ironic, I did have a customer jokingly ask if we offer gift wrap. Maybe for a $1 more we could wrap it up with a nice bow. How much better does it feel to pull off the wrapping paper :D

Thanks again for the order!

Thanks for getting everything out to me so fast.

I've come across a few more parts I am going to need, but will be in Michigan next week. I will give you a call when I get home.

Not a lot new to report. I ended up having to work 12 hours days both Saturday and Sunday for it nibbled into the cruiser time I would have liked to have spent. Over the last week though I was able to get the axle housing, knuckles and hubs painted. I think that they came out pretty well.

I had completely forgotten to get all the gaskets I would need as well as new pinion seals, but a call to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters this morning took care of all of that. Thanks again Kurt and it was great chatting with you a little.
_SW19738.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom