Builds The Rushing Turdle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Notice in the first pic above that I did have to modify the plastic retractor housing cover by drilling a 1" hole to expose the mounting point. The way the cover is supposed to work is that you open it up, bolt everything down and then click it shut. Due to me needing to mount the retractor as low as possible to avoid interference with the seat back operation, I could not snap the cover back on once it was in place. I decided to drill the hole in the cover to allow access to the bolt, fold and click the cover in place and then tighten it down. The way I mounted these retractors was to drill holes in the sheet metal at the double thickness seam, also drilling a hole through my vinyl-covered card. Then I inserted the bolt and washer from behind. I held the end of the bolt as I snapped the interior card into place. The card held the bolt firmly enough that I was able to slip the retractor over it and thread on a lock washer and nut through the hole I drilled in the plastic cover. The bolt held tight and didn't try to spin as I tightened everything up.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Zeke and the Turdle.

Dave, I think Heather has a saddle that'll fit Zeke. Great looking dog.

I've replaced both the brake master cylinder and the booster on the Turdle. Before testing it out I decided to give the front brake pads a check to make sure they still had some life. They were down to 1/16th! I also found that the inside of the backing plates on both sides were covered with gear oil. It looks like a knuckle rebuild is in my immediate future. This truck is just full of surprises... Another kick in the teeth came when I pulled the rear drums again just to make sure there were no leaks there after unclogging the vent tube. Rear passenger caliper is leaking just a smidge and the driver's side axle seal is still weeping. Over the past couple of weeks I have been collecting parts for a knuckle rebuild as well as for a refresh of my rear axle seals, brake cylinders and shoes. I finally got everything together and last night began the task of freshening up the rear end. To re-do the seals, you have to pull the diff cover and pull the C-clips in order to pull the axle shafts and backing plates to allow access. Things were going great last night until the Ninja Turdle smacked me down with another mighty blow. The pin that locates the cross shaft for the spider gears was broken off inside the carrier. Ugh! After about two hours of pain, suffering, cursing and overall disgust, here's what I ended up with.
IMG_1340[1].JPG

Four pieces! The damn pin was broken in four pieces. When I pulled the cross shaft and spiders out I found only one of the spiders had the shim behind it. The other one was MIA. The extra slop due to the missing shim is probably what shattered the pin but you know what? It drove just fine. No strange noises or anything. The spider gears don't see a whole lot of action anyway unless you do a peg-legged burnout or spin one tire really hard in the mud while the other is still. I'm going to ride by the local Toy store and see if I can get another pin and another bushing. This truck is killing me...and I still haven't run a full tank of gas through it.

The spider gears don't see a whole lot of action anyway unless you do a peg-legged burnout or spin one tire really hard in the mud while the other is still.

Along with every time you go around a turn!

Sucks that the pin was shattered. Missing a thrust washer on the spider would allow the axle shaft to move a bit more, which may be contributing to your seal leakage.

Johnny, I know the spiders do come into play when you make a turn but my assumption is that they don't have to spin very fast in that situation. They are mostly just rotating slowly back and forth and not under a huge amount of stress. I'm impressed that there was not alot of wear with that thrust washer missing. The amount of particles in the bottom of the diff and on the drain plug magnet was in the range of what I would consider "normal." Glad I found it before it got bad.

TLC Norway, This diff is okay. It obviously has been into before by somebody who didn't do it any favors but it's gonna' live to spin many more miles. It just needs some love.

Get a Terrain Tamer knuckle kit from beno. The parts are all Koyo and the price is really good.

Sam, I have a NIB Trail Gear knuckle kit that I got in a pile of parts from Adam when he sold me the Crockpot. I'm pretty sure the bearings are Koyo. The terrain tamer is probably a better set-up but I'm gonna' "run what I brung" because it's already sitting on the shelf. Lord knows anything would be an improvement over the drooling mess I've got right now. I pulled a hub dial a few days ago and gear oil poured out all over the tire and driveway. The knuckles have got to be absolutely full of 80/90 to the point that I almost wonder if somebody might have opened up the fill plugs on the knuckles and poured gear oil in there instead of grease. I can't wait to crack those babies open to see what kind of fun is waiting for me in there.

Ugggghhhh ... have fun man ;). I will admit to farming out that mess on the last knuckle job I needed to do. Both the shop and I were impressed with the completeness of the Terrain Tamer kit ... only reason I suggested it.

I guess it is possible that someone who did not know better would have filled the knuckles with 90 weight :bang:

Dave,

Been there done that with the 45 too.
DSC06709.jpg

I've got lots of diff parts from changing gears and adding ARB's laying around in the garage if you need parts.

jC

Thanks, Jim but I've got it all buttoned back up now. I got a new pin from Toyota and a thrust washer cup from SOR. Fishing out all those broken pieces was a huge PITA. I have had to put the Turdle on hold for a few days. The Crockpot had a busted radiator (which I just replaced) and my wife's LX470 needs brakes next. After that I'm going to do the knuckles and front brakes on the Turdle. Hopefully then I'll get some windshield time. So far I've only logged 178 miles on it and I bought it back in July!

So, Zeke is your deft deterrence system? Good grief! His body is the length of the tailgate.

Nah...Zeke's a sweetheart. He wouldn't hurt a fly. He will put a hurtin' on some kibble though. I've had three Danes in sucession since '94. They've all been the friendliest dogs I've ever owned. Big, yes...but not aggressive at all. They are awesome dogs. It's a shame they have such short lifespans although my last Dane, Enzo, lived for 11 years. That may be a record!

Enzo? Have you read the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? Great dog, and driving, book. That was the dogs name.

Enzo? Have you read the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? Great dog, and driving, book. That was the dogs name.

No Izz. Never read that one. Sounds like a cool book though. My first Dane's name was Shelby. The second was Enzo. Kind-of my way of paying tribute to the Lemans rivalry back in '65.

I have had several inquiries regarding the seat belts I purchased and where I got them. I bought my belts from Seatbelt Planet. Part numbers are as follows and each part number is one pair of belts (2 seats worth):

Front belts - 5031235 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Dr/Pass/Dk Brown

Rear belts - 5031335 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Rear Dr/Pass /Hdw Dk Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom