The Mule. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - s***. I have an oil leak. It is my own damn fault. When I put the motor in I noted the amount of permatex on the timing chain cover and I know that folks not overtly practiced with the F or 2F motor frequently do not torque these in sequency causing leaks. I shrugged it off. I used the excuse that I did not know the condition of the motor anyway and did not want to spend the extra $ on the seals - all $5 or whatever. It originally intimidated me to open the cover too (this from the guy who pulled the motor and all anyway.) Well, I drove a bi today and discovered a significant amount of oil running out of the the cover down the front of the oil pan and down the front axle and on to the ground. s***.

The good news is the transfer case is working as it should, I just need to make a plate to limit it to the H, and 4 settings. There is not plate surrounding the stick. I figure it was left off due to a clearance issue. I plan to make one out of 3/16th and mount it to the hump inside the truck.

I also am suffering a considerable amount of coolant loss out of the overflow tube. I do not have a burp tank. What should I do about this?

Finally, I leaned out the Weber. The mixture screw on the passenger side was open about 4 turns!!!!! Now both are open abiout 3/4 turns and it helped the gas stench I left a trail of as I traversed the neighborhood.

So I guess I will put a callin to Bob or CDan this week. I need a couple more things for the split case (I buggered a seal) and some other odds and ends.

The good news is the transfer case is working as it should, I just need to make a plate to limit it to the H, and 4 settings. There is not plate surrounding the stick. I figure it was left off due to a clearance issue. I plan to make one out of 3/16th and mount it to the hump inside the truck.

You don't really need the plate, you can either modify the stock one or just leave it off...I just left it off...this gives you the ability for 2LOW, which can be handy at times. This is a split case correct? Not sure if the plates are the same, but you're welcome to the one from my 4sp case if it fits. Its in the garage:bounce::bounce2:

I also am suffering a considerable amount of coolant loss out of the overflow tube. I do not have a burp tank. What should I do about this?

Ha ha...empty milk jug and duct tape...will go well with all the powder coating:grinpimp::hillbilly:

Glad its running and moving! Well Done!:clap::clap::steer::steer:

You don't really need the plate, you can either modify the stock one or just leave it off...I just left it off...this gives you the ability for 2LOW, which can be handy at times. This is a split case correct? Not sure if the plates are the same, but you're welcome to the one from my 4sp case if it fits. Its in the garage:bounce::bounce2:

Ha ha...empty milk jug and duct tape...will go well with all the powder coating:grinpimp::hillbilly:

Glad its running and moving! Well Done!:clap::clap::steer::steer:
Nope, this is not a split case. I actually am unsure the year of this set up. PO did it. Does not seem to want to go into low but at least all 4 wheels turn! I am going to get some axle seals from Bob and do the rebuild. Thanks to the tootalidge of Clutchee I am confident I can handle it with ease - not sure I have what I need to clean the bastards though!

Might need to "move in" with you come Aug when my tags expire...no Cats!!!
No - I got no cats - there is something that really scares me about a single guy that has cats though:flipoff2:

No - I got no cats - there is something that really scares me about a single guy that has cats though:flipoff2:

Most single guys get enough p*ssy that they dont need cats!!! Im married (with children)...make your own conclusions! :crybaby:

Most single guys get enough p*ssy that they dont need cats!!! Im married (with children)...make your own conclusions! :crybaby:

[Waiting for Todd to chime in]:hmm:

:flipoff2:

Just for the record, if a single guy has cats...he ain't looking for p*ssy

And no...I don't have cats..

Came home to a box of TPI parts so I will get back to it this weekend. We are going to bail on the ride. Just trying to prioritize. Plus I have to work Monday for a few hours in the AM :cheers:

That sucks Chris...but atleast your bailing so you can work on the Mule so hopefully you can make the next ride. Good luck!!! :cheers:

That sucks Chris...but atleast your bailing so you can work on the Mule so hopefully you can make the next ride. Good luck!!! :cheers:
Yes it does. But I made progress again. Pics to follow but a quick post to say I got the seals swapped out and between the bent, poorly torqued cover gasket and shredded pulley seal it is no wondering it was spewing oil!

I also added a fuel pressure regulator courtesy of O'Reilly's.

Hope you bastards are having fun!!:cheers::cheers:

Here it is all ripped apart again:

Timing gasket 005.jpg

And cleaning the cover. After it was dry I sand blasted it and painted it with engine black:

Timing gasket 006.jpg

And here is the new seal driver from Harbor Freight. All metal and on sale for $25:

Timing gasket 007.jpg
Timing gasket 005.jpg
Timing gasket 006.jpg
Timing gasket 007.jpg

Went ahead and replaced the radiator hoses. I had purchased a new set from $OR and never put them on but I noticed two were brittle so I saved what was left for trail spares.

Timing gasket 008.jpg

I used a small amount of the very thin permatex on both sides of the gasket. What I cleaned off looked like caulk!!!

Timing gasket 010.jpg

And here it is all put back together. (At least before the radiator and bib went back on.)

Timing gasket 011.jpg

It was soooo easy. I wish I had done it before I put the engin in. I am unsure why I did not bother. The FSM has a detail of where the long bolts go so I did not worry about keeping track. I also put a bit of sealant on the lower 10mm bolts as advised by the FSM. I am sure this will take care of my leak.

I got it all back together and started it up. No leaks so far. I do have to get my timing and fuel mixture right still. I set the new pressure regulator on 2.5. We will see what happens.

Hope everybnody stayed warm this weekend!!:doh:
Timing gasket 008.jpg
Timing gasket 010.jpg
Timing gasket 011.jpg

looks good Chris. next time i do my timing cover gasket i'll remember to totally disassemble the front grill to make it extra easy!:clap: missed ya this weekend.
I saw the pics. Looked like fun. The bib on the 40 is so easy to take off I figure it would be the best way. Also allowed me to get the puller in there easily top pullout the pulley.

lucky bastid!

this pic makes me so friggen annoyed! you need about 50 vacuum lines with stoopid switching valves and smog bs in there.:mad:
No I don't:flipoff2::lol:

OK - got the wipers all working and buttoned up including new blades on stock arms. But check it out: The new OE arms are not splined inside so I used the best two I had. I also replaced the shafts with some off my donner motor that still had some splines.

I also need to fix a broken wire between my fule sender and the four prong front loom plug. No biggy but will be a PITA. I also aligned the head lights and put the bezel back on.

I figure it was a sign from the land cruiser gods that I was nearing completion and road worthyness untill I discovered my rear xfer case seal is leaking into the parking brake again:crybaby:

So I am going to get another seal and a speedy sleeve (I had not put on a sleeve last time) with my next orders and replace the thing again. Sucks is that the motor mounts have to be released to drop the rear low enough to get the drum off. WHAT A PITA!!!!!:mad:

On another note: :princess: told me how much scratch we have spent on Cruisers this year. I was surprised she did not go into the other room to pack her bags after the revelation. (I am too embarassed to post the numbers but safe to say, I could have had a nice Ebay rig by now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom