The makings of my Medical Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What i would be worried amount the most is twisting my ankle or breaking it. My coworker just told me about a place where i can get bendable metal splints.
There's half a dozen things in your OEM toolkit you could use for a splint. I have two objectives wrt first aid: 1) effectively treat any non-agenda-changing injuries such as minor cuts, burns, sprains, scrapes, etc. and move on with the day, and 2) stabilize and keep alive a more serious injury until the person can be moved to suitable treatment, or until suitable treatment can be moved to them. In the case of #2, a cell phone, and now a HAM radio, are the quickest methods to achieve that.

Last edited:
Rytwmi3.jpg

Care to make a list?

The most critical part to invest in is a wilderness first aid class. Thankfully I haven't needed my training but it was an eye opener.
Agreed. And an annual refresher.

What i would be worried amount the most is twisting my ankle or breaking it. My coworker just told me about a place where i can get bendable metal splints.
Sam splints. So many uses for these and they fold into any shape you can imagine to immobile fingers to necks. Cheap on Amazon, under $25 for 2 if I recall correctly.

Can't tell from the picture if you have any buy hydration salts would come in handy here in the Sonoran desert. Also ammonia capsules. Great to revive all but the most unconscious individual.

Too much to list, but you get the idea. Having a back-packable way to get it around is handy because its easier to grab and go this way. If questions on what you see, post back and I'll try to answer:
2la8peg.jpg

Mine is more or less survival/home based (think instead of having a medicine cabinet, you have a medicine backpack). I dont think i could perform surgery with hemostats or set bones or anything.

Sam splints. So many uses for these and they fold into any shape you can imagine to immobile fingers to necks. Cheap on Amazon, under $25 for 2 if I recall correctly.

since we travel in motor vehicles, I never considered splints to be critical. First aid class taught me that an unset break is not only excruciating for the victim but there is a risk of further injury.

No doubt, a loose bone grinding against another bone is less than pleasant. Immobilization is your friend especially in the jarring ride back to the highway.

Where would I go to take a wilderness first aid class?

Try emailing emsfamily@cox.net. this is an email box for a group of ems workers and first responders that hold classes a couple times a year on an at cost basis.

I know places like REI hold classes but they're pricy.

thank you, just emailed myself a reminder

This past fall on the afternoon before a weeklong rafting trip, I somehow broke off a large section of wisdom tooth. Fortunately, there was no pain and I was able to gather 1st aid materials for it together and went on the trip. Ended up giving those to a fellow who developed problems after our launch and was pretty miserable until he asked if he could use my stuff. I had never considered providing for tooth issues and now make sure that I have something along on all of my trips....

This past fall on the afternoon before a weeklong rafting trip, I somehow broke off a large section of wisdom tooth. Fortunately, there was no pain and I was able to gather 1st aid materials for it together and went on the trip. Ended up giving those to a fellow who developed problems after our launch and was pretty miserable until he asked if he could use my stuff. I had never considered providing for tooth issues and now make sure that I have something along on all of my trips....

I have a bottle of lidocaine and some tramadol in my kit for weird issues like this. Pain can definitely ruin a trip

Can't tell from the picture if you have any buy hydration salts would come in handy here in the Sonoran desert. Also ammonia capsules. Great to revive all but the most unconscious individual.
Another thing i learned about is ghetto gatorade, basically you pour packets of salt and sugar into water

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom