The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't updated this in a while. Mostly settling in and finding all the stuff we lost for the last year. Currently getting ready to finish out the inside of the barn and planning a 2 sided open shed to stash all the junk and working on a mantel and fireplace for Erin. Fireplace is about done, then gotta get on the barn so I can get going on this manual swap.

From here
1024161942_HDR.jpg

To here
A4BF8E28-.jpg

Need to get the drone in the air and get some finished shots of the place too.

I especially like how seasonal you are with the Halloween to Christmas décor ;)

Yeah, Christmas started immediately following Halloween at my house this year. Erin was excited about decorating for Christmas so I broke tradition and let her start early. There was a bit of overlap as you've noted.

Nice fireplace!

I know the wife is excited about having y'alls first Christmas in the new house. That's just going to be a wonderful time.

and great memories.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks Rocky. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas as well. Hope you guys get some quality time with that Grandbaby.

Stopped at Watson Metals in Manchester this afternoon to see about getting a quote on a 24x40 open pole barn for parking my junk under and for storing farm implements under. I need to go stake it and decide if 40' (4 bays) is good or if I need to bump it out to 50'.

Also plan to do some cleaning this weekend and start some framing on the barn for insulation and electrical.

if you don't mind, let me know what that quote looks like. I've got a 22'x 20' car port currently. I've always wanted to pour another 20' deeper and make 4 bays.

Yeah, no problem. The quote for the 24x40 delivered was $2,700. That was for posts, truss carriers, trusses, lathe and roof metal, so about as basic as you can get. If say for similar materials you could figure about half that. Walls, doors, etc. will add more. I am just doing a top for now, but plan to close up one end and the back using some local cut cedar board and batten

Last edited:
Yeah, I though so. I know it means putting up another barn, and we all know how much I love that, but this one is just posts and a top and I am not under any kind of dead line, which means it will probably be done in record time knowing me. We probably won't look at placing the order for a month or so and will probably be working on getting it put together in the spring.

I need to order some stone to put down in and around the area it is going to be built. It is a little low and tends to hold water at times, so geotech fabric and 2" stone base will be going down over a fairly sizable area this time to make sure I don't have as much trouble with the ground pumping. Then probably some concrete piers for the posts to sit on as the rock is only about 4"-6" deep back there. Should be fun.

Went to Home Depot today and picked up a load of lumber to start framing in the walls of the barn.

0211171249.jpg

I may start getting some framing up tomorrow. Framing, then set some electrical boxes, wiring and insulation, then OSB sheeting for the walls. Start working my way around and doing the junk shuffle as I go. Hopefully I will get some benches and cabinets located as I go and free up space as I work around the perimeter.

Where did you get the live edge mantle for your fireplace? Just a saw mill?

Thanks bud. Trying to get some things in the go along so I can get on with the stuff I really want to be doing.

I got the front corner framed this afternoon. I havent swung a hammer like that in a long time, I'm gonna have to pop a few ibuprofen before bed tonight.

0212171738.jpg

And here is where I left it for the night.
0212171821a.jpg

Gonna pick up some single gang boxes, wire and insulation this week so I can get this section sheeted and ready to move on to the end wall.

If I can get this end sheeted then I can get some cabinets and benches out of the middle of the floor and actually have some room to work inside.

We had a buddy build us a screen door for the front of the house.

I have to say it turned out amazing.
FullSizeR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom