The definitive, "Found a good deal on CL" thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1988 FJ 62 Toyota Land Cruiser - VERY CLEAN with Chevy 6.0L V8

This rig is SERIOUSLY clean. I ABSOLUTELY love it to death, but want to get rid of it because I can't drive it every day and don't really have a place to store it. I used to have a garage, but the apartment I moved to does not have an enclosed garage. I still have the car under a canopy, but love it too much to keep it outside. It is a California and Arizona car, so there is ABSOLUTELY not a lick of rust on it. The first picture is when I powdercoated the bumper. The other pictures did not have the powdercoat on it yet. Needed to wait a week for my paint guy to be free and squeeze me in.

You will see below that I have a Chevy V8 motor in it. The motor and transmission were FULLY rebuilt and I have only driven 2,000 miles on the new parts. The motor came out of a 2003 GMC Sierra. Runs CHERRIES!

Here are the additions that I have made to the car:
Chevrolet 2500 Motor (6.0L) with 4L80 Transmission that puts down 296 rear wheel hp and 330 rear wheel torque (have the dyno paperwork) - Cost me $20,000 for the whole deal to do it right.
Custom made Cold Air Intake - $350
Custom Exhaust with Magnaflow Muffler - $750
BRAND new Aluminum Radiator with two 10" Fans - $600
Specter Off Road 3" Lift with Heavy Duty Springs - Cost me $2,500
Drilled and Slotted front Rotors - $350
BRAND new wired and installed sound system (JBL Amp and Speakers with Alpine Head Unit) - $800
Brand New Warn Front Hub Locks - $220
Spartan Front Locker - $300
ARB Rear Air Locker - When I bought it, it was $1,500 including installation
Gobi Stealth Roof Rack - $1,500
Custom Made Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier, and Gas Can Holder - $3,000 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Front Bumper from TLC 4x4 that has been powder coated - $2,200 (I still have the original)
Custom Made Rock Sliders - $700
50" Light Bar - $500
22" Light Bar - $300
BRAND new 33X15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires with literally only 100 miles on them. - $1,200
Brand New Trunk and Rear Seat Carpet - $300
A/C works perfect!

As you can see, I have put A LOT of work into this car. The oil was just changed, the hubs and diffs were just serviced. The front differential was just COMPLETELY rebuilt when I put in the front locker only 100 miles / 2 months ago. The brake booster and all brake components have been rebuilt / put new. This rig gets me thumbs up and looks like you wouldn't believe.

Call me with serious interest only and I will give you more details. As you can see from the pictures, the car is in PRISTINE condition. The interior looks just as good as the exterior.

00P0P_gJn44ecTBTT_600x450.jpg

Mike, I agree that guy has a nice truck. Really like the set up but he seems to of taken out the small detail from his early ads that has been keeping it on Craigslist for about 2 months now: This vehicle has a salvage title. I know that probably doesn't mean the vehicle was mangled - probably quite the opposite...its just that it would be hard to justify sinking that much $$ into a rig with a salvage title. its too bad really because it appears to be a super cool set up.

Youd be hard pressed to get your money back out of it when it came time to sell it. Also, what would the insurance pay out if t got into a wreck?

Last edited:
Hi Eric! Keen eye as usual and like many here! I agree the salvage title, would be a red flag.

Many things that bubble up here on the CL thread, may not be so much best deals, but definitely bring to light what's out there and warrant a review or mention on here ( i think ) More importantly, IMO, posting them here, have experts like yourself or others chime in, on what's what.

Folks may get "stars in their eyes," and not realize they really need the true skinny. Posting here may help bring that to light. I hope posting the one off's I find, aren't detracting from this thread.

I think the critiquing of posts like mine above, by the more experienced and well rounded members, really goes to help everyone weigh the true value of their hard earned dollars. Whether or not it truly is a good deal...that is often in the eye of the money holder, maybe tempered by the comments of the forum!

Always the best everyone! :cheers:

Mike, I agree that guy has a nice truck. Really like the set up but he seems to of taken out the small detail from his early ads that has been keeping it on Craigslist for about 2 months now: This vehicle has a salvage title. I know that probably doesn't mean the vehicle was mangled - probably quite the opposite...its just that it would be hard to justify sinking that much $$ into a rig with a salvage title. its too bad really because it appears to be a super cool set up.

Youd be hard pressed to get your money back out of it when it came time to sell it. Also, what would the insurance pay out if t got into a wreck?

I think if you run Collector plates on it, you can get an "agreed upon value" policy. I would think it would not be hard to agree on $30,000 or more. Of course, it does get pricey when you jack that number way up. John

For those of you looking and wanting local. This looks like a pretty nice one and these are somewhat difficult to locate as we know.

Used One-Owner 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser - Near Show Low AZ - Hatch Toyota

Used-2008-Toyota-LandCruiser-ID525231584
I had to go take a look at this one today, my parents are looking for something low miles and clean. If anyone wants more details just pm me. Paint looks really nice, has a few rock chips on the hood, some minor damage to passenger fender molding by the running board, interior looks good...

have experts like yourself...

Your too kind...more like I spend too much time geeking on craigslist :rolleyes:

Folks may get "stars in their eyes," and not realize they really need the true skinny. Posting here may help bring that to light. I hope posting the one off's I find, aren't detracting from this thread

Not at all, please keep posting, hope I didn't come across like a butthead. Just wanted to bring up what that owner is now not sharing on that ad.
..still is a tasty set up, no doubt!

True on the tire size. Yes pm me your addy because they are taking up space that I need for a project.

Tires were delivered last night. Thank you, just need to get them up north and switch them out with aftermarket rims with twenty plus year old tires that are only good as rollers.

Tires were delivered last night. Thank you, just need to get them up north and switch them out with aftermarket rims with twenty plus year old tires that are only good as rollers.
I forgot the lug nuts. I'll drop those off after work

only now ?

:rolleyes:

2004 100 Series some body damage, salvage theft recovery . guy works next door at Subaru - sounds like he will take 5K?

says engine is fine, no cel, rides and drives fine, just body damage from what he says

2004 LAND CRUISER theif recovery for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom